It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy - Guide for Friends and Family

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #16
    mlegge
    (female)

mlegge HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy - Guide for Friends and Family

June 15, 2006

Hello, I am so glad to have had the chance to read this insert about adult tonsillectomy. I am now 13 days post surgery and I am still experiencing pain when I sallow and still very nauseous. I thought I was mentally prepared for this surgery but the past 13 days have been beyond anything that I had imagined. I was having pain and after the fourth day I started to vomit and began to run a high temperature. My Husband (a saint) had to take me to emergency because I also stated to bleed but only mildly. At the emerg they discovered that I had developed a fungal infection, which I had to take more medication for. They also had to give me an anti-inflammatory shot because my tongue was inflamed and swollen and another shot for nausea. Now 13 days later, my surgeon advised me that the incisions are healing wonderful but he couldn't explain why I am still having the nausea. He told me that I have to make sure to take things very easy for the next two weeks as there is still a change that bleeding can occur. He also advised me to see my family physician to investigate why the nausea is still lingering and keeping me from eating. I have lost 17 pounds in 14 days. Not that I mind having the weight gone but I am worried about not getting the nutrients that I need after such a depleting surgery. My physician sent me to have blood work done to confirm that this is not something outside of the effects of the surgery. My hope is that in the next couple of weeks in which I will be home from work recuperating things will start to return to normal and I will be able to see the benefit of having this surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #17
    AMacho426
    (female)

AMacho426 HB User

Make sure you're getting some protein in you. Tomorrow is two weeks for me and I've dropped 10 lbs. Thankfully today and yesterday I was able to chew and not have my ears hurt, so I've been eating solid food. But my Mom was worried that I was dropping the weight but I was going to loose muscle, not just fat. Eggs, cheese, protein shakes...those are all good and should be ok for your throat.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
    pokerstars
    (male)

pokerstars HB User

Hello, Does anyone know if the time it takes to heal would be the same for an adult, and for a 15-16 yr old?

I am getting my tonsils out the end of this month, and hopefully recovery will not be as long as I have read on these threads.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #19
    monstertonsil
    (female)

monstertonsil HB User

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for posting the guide and for everyone's reply. They've helped me and my family tremendously. I'm a 29 and had my tonsillectomy last wednesday. It's been 7 days so far. The worst has passed but still working on it. I chose this name because my doctor said my tonsils were golfball sized (each one!). I had sleep apnea, and had trouble making myself clear. I sounded muffled. Does anyone here know if developing a cold after a tonsillectomy is normal? I'm having symptoms of a cold - stuffy nose, headache, etc... Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #20
    jimmielegs
    (female)

jimmielegs HB User

Pokerstar, this is the way I understand it. The older you are, the more deeply rooted are your tonsils. You being younger, your roots are probably not as deep and the excavation will be shallower and will be faster to heal. Still, your incisions will be cauterized and will need to scab and the scab will need to fall off. Your recovery time will probably be much shorter, but DO be prepared with the list of items that Lisa suggests.

MonsterT, your cold could be an infection. Call you doc and see what/how you should treat it.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #21
    AMacho426
    (female)

AMacho426 HB User

Monstertonsil - I actually dealt with a headache and runny nose right after I got off the antibiotics. It passed in several days.

Pokerstars - Jimmielegs is right...the younger you are, the easier the recovery. I just had mine at age 24 and it took me about two weeks for the soreness to go away. My cousin had it at 18 and she was back to normal food in about 7 or 8 days.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #22
    tonsilsNC
    (female)

tonsilsNC HB User

This is a great posting! Everything was dead on and I wish I had this earlier for my family to read!

Although I didn't see this before my surgery, I have to commend my nurses and doctor, they told me everything here in this posting and more, I was fully prepared on what to expect and what I was going to feel and when. If anyone needs a doctor in Raleigh, NC I definitely have recommendations, mine was awsome.

I am 27 and I am now in day 13 of my tonsillectomy and the scabs just started falling off in the last two days or so and the lovely soreness is back again. Definitely a slow and hard recovery but I have had no complications at all.

As far as the feeling of having a cold, it may be an infection but it may just be normal, I have had a stuffy/runny nose the entire time. Defintely call the doctor to verify, but as long as the stuff coming out is clear and not yellow or green looking, it may just be because of the swelling and the mucus getting trapped.

My doctors gave me pain medicine, antibiotic and anti-nausea medication to fill before the day of the surgery. You never know how your body will react, so if they don't give these to you, ASK for them. I was definitely gald to have all three.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #23
    monstertonsil
    (female)

monstertonsil HB User

Thank you guys for your input. The runny nose only lasted a day and a half. Nothing to it. I'm now on day 14 post surgery. I really haven't felt anymore pain since day 4. It all has been slowing down, except for today.
    It seems that my throat has gotten swollen again. I'm experiencing a little pain - which I didn't have the last 8-9 days. My voice is terrible. I can't pronounce some words and worst of all I CAN'T SEEM TO TASTE FOOD ANYMORE!! This is scary!
    I've been able to eat normal food, of course, certain crunchy food and hard to swallow I avoid, but all in all, I thought I was getting better.
    Any of you can give me any thoughts or input? Thanks again!

lucy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #24
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Cool Re: Adult Tonsillectomy - Guide for Friends and Family

Hey Monstertonsil (that would have been appropos for me too, because the first thing my ENT said to my Mom and Boyfriend when he was done with the surgery was - They were HUGE!!).

I had mine out last year. I remember it all too well. The thing about tasting is weird. It took me about 2 months before I could actually taste some things again. Sweet things were the worst because I couldn't taste any sugar. So things like soda tasted like seltzer water and cake tasted like nothing. It felt like it took forever for me to get my taste buds back, but I finally did. I remember it well because as soon as I realized I was able to taste again, I started eating normal and I gained back the 15 lbs that I lost over the recovery period.

And as for the pronouncing things, that took a little longer. I think for me it was about 6 months....maybe a little longer, before I could pronounce certain things right. But people kept telling me it sounded ok to them, it just sounded weird when i said things like "talk", "bowl", "month" and some other things. I forget now. But it's been over a year and I'm doing well, so I'm happy about that.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #25
    GolfingGemini
    (male)

GolfingGemini HB User
    Question Re: Adult Tonsillectomy - Guide for Friends and Family

Hi All,

This thread has been very informative. I am a 34 male and am scheduled to have my tonsils removed on July 19 2006. I have read through these posts and understand this will be a long recovery process. I don't want to under or overestimate my pain nor recovery. If anyone can shed light on their specific experiences would be very helpful.

1) Is the pain in the 2nd stage (days 4-7) so bad that you will be in bed or on the couch the whole time?
    2) I work with computers and am not required to do excessive talking. Do you think I will feel up to doing any work in the first 7-10 days?
    3) At what day did you first leave the house to go somewhere or for a walk?
    4) As per my name, I love to golf. I of course won't golf the first 10-14 day, but when did others have enough physical and mental capacity to do something like golf or excercise.
    5) The post mentions no visitors, but I have a toddler and an infant. I am trying to encourage their grandparents to visit often to assist my wife.
    6) I am driving to the beach 17 days after this procedure where I can further relax.

Now I am also curious as to why many of you had your tonsils removed. I have had frequent boughts of sore throats and feeling like blah all the time. I have only a few times been tested positive for strep. This has been the case for nearly ten years. Prior to 1996 when I was 24, I would get one cold in the winter and maybe one in the spring. Anytime I got a new girlfriend I would get a cold within weeks of our first smootch. Most recently, in April, I started getting tonsiliths (stones) again. This time they did not go away and I would extract 1-3 1/2 pea sized stones out of my tonsils. My tonsils are very crypt like. I have had one ENT say my tonsils were too small to be removed while others indicated that they could be deeply rooted.

Well, under two weeks until my procedure. I'll attempt to post back on my progress so others may see it for their own benefit.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #26
    falling_rain
    (female)

falling_rain HB User

GolfingGemini,

1) I was never ever completely confined to the couch at any point and could always walk around the house. It was pretty much my one source of entertainment somtimes when i couldn't sleep and i didn't want to switch on the telly cos I'd wake my two year old nephew.

2) You probably can. Your pain medication may make you sleepy and you'll have a dull throbbing pain in your throat but you can do work if you need to.

3) I went to school for about two hours on the 8th/9th day to see some of my teachers and get some of my homework. I went there by public transport and came home the same way too. Easy peasy.

4) I figure skate and train quite vigorously and my doctor said I could go back to training 16 days post-op but I went for an aerobics class today (17 days post-op) and we did circuit training: I ended up throwing up and nearly fainting. Instructor said I was possibly dehydrated and still weak from my two weeks of no exercising. So...I think I'll start slow now. :P

5) No visitors mainly so you don't end up feeling obliged to talk (this was my reason anyway) and also so you don't catch any bugs from them. If they don't force you to make conversation it should be fine..

6) You'll probably feel fine, just maybe some pain when yawning or sneezing. Nearing the end of my second week I lost all pain from sneezing but there's a tiny ache when I yawn. The beach sounds sooo gloriously far away from school and work and all things real life, lucky you.

To answer your last question, I removed mine because they were stopping me from doing my favourite things - sing and figure skate. The cold rink would aggravate my sorethroats and fevers and I would have to take long breaks from training and I had to stop singing cos the next day after a long practice I would be down in bed with a killer throat. Plus they were big and sometimes I would choke on food and water.

Good luck with your tonsillectomy, hope you have a great and speedy recovery.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #27
    andvari
    (female)

andvari HB User

hey golf.. here's my take on all your questions..

1) i don't think the pain will be that horrific unless you start some kind of infection? i found i slept a lot the first 4 days, but the rest, i had a good amount of strength in me and i could endure being awake a whole lot longer.

2) i went back to work on day 5. i planned to do it on day 4 but because i was unable to eat, and unable to stomach even freezies, my body was pretty weak. when i did go back too i wasn't able to really focus as well as i normally could so maybe if you could take on easier tasks it won't be so bad. not having to talk will help too. i took that a bit too far.

3) well.. my first day my mom drove me up to my apartment which is about a 45 minute drive. on day 3 i went to see a bit of racing.. i was pushing it a bit with all of that. i'd say on day 4 though, if your pain is substantial you might not want to really do more then you have to.

4) after 14 days you should be fine. i'm on day 15/16 and i feel entirely fine. my throat is a bit raw and sometimes sore, but it's nothing like what you had felt the days before. just make sure you have lots of water with you.

5) i think i agree with falling rain on that one. it's probably just a good deterrant to not talk but having them there will help you and your wife tremendously. which in turn will probably put less stress onto you trying to help your wife when you really shouldn't be. my first 3 days i was absolutely helpless just sleeping entire days, when i was awake i was trying to eat and that was literally my whole day.

6) good! hope you enjoy it i drove 4-5 days after my surgery.. it wasn't too easy but only because i was so damn hungry. at day 17 you'll be entirely fine for this.. i haven't hit day 17 yet but i'm pretty well sure that you'll be good.

as to why i got it done.. i had had difficulty breathing. not an incredible amount but i couldn't yawn or take in a deep breath.. it was very laboured as though something was stopping it. my doc sent me to an ent who said it was my tonsils.. i didn't really believe that could have been such a problem although i have had many many sore throats.. strep and whatever else starting when i was very young. also, starting 2 months before seeing him i had a lot of tonsil stones. i'd try to take them out but then it would bleed. if one would fall, another one or 3 would come out a few days later.
    after my surgery my ent told me that it was the right choice.. and since then i've been able to breathe..

Old 07-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #28
    Awaken
    (male)

Awaken HB User

This was a great site for me before my surgery, so I wanted to make sure I passed along my little tidbits. Things I found helpful and some things I think may not have been talked about enough. Here is my story. GolfingG and others take it for what it is worth.

Male Age 24 in good health. I chose to take mine out because of constant minor sore throats and tonsil concretions/stones causing bad breath. They were huge and full of crypts. I had the surgery June 30th in the morning. The technique used was electrocautery (Bovie instrument). I was giving Loritab Elixir as my prescription pain killer (which I got Liquid Hydrocodone as the substitute) and Amoxicillin for my anti-biotic.

Days 1-3
    Diet - The day after the surgery I stuck to a liquid diet of water and Gatorade. I made sure to drink often including in the middle of the night. When I woke up to take pain meds, I always drank fluids with them. On days 2 and 3, I ate some Chicken and Stars soup which was the easiest thing to eat that I found. I also had some Jello.

Pain - The pain at this point was what I would consider mild/moderate. I took the minimum prescribed (1-3 teaspoons every 3 hours or as needed) dose every 3-4 hours of the painkiller and was fine. Still hurt to swallow, but it was very tolerable when just lying on the couch. With the pain meds in my system, I didn't really do much on these days. I watched lots of TV and movies. I used ice packs off and on throughout the day to decrease swelling.

Activities/Talking: I did not talk at all. That is one thing I have found that is different than most. For the first 9 days, I did no talking whatsoever and I truly think that helped keep my pain down. Although, my significant other's pain may have been higher as she got tired of reading notes and learning my made up sign language . On day 1, I only brushed my teeth once before the surgery. On day 2-3, I made some sort of sad attempt to brush what I could get without causing pain. I made sure not to spit or use mouthwash in order to preserve the scabs. From day 1, I have been sleeping on my love seat. It is much easier to sleep on my back and in a more upright position (to reduce swelling) there than in my bed, so I have been using it. It has worked out fine.

Days 4/5
    Diet - I upgraded to mashed potatoes, pudding, and some ice cream. I know many people warn against ice creams and I read some stuff on the net about the mucus, but I found that I could drink large amounts of water afterwards and it would allow me to be okay. I also added milk to the mashed potatoes to help make them easier to swallow.

Pain - The pain on these days were decreasing. When I woke in the morning, the pain was the worst of the day. The lack of swallowing and drinking was the cause I am sure, so I would have to take my prescription meds when I woke up. Throughout the rest of the day, I took either smaller servings of the Hydrocodone (.75 teaspoons) or just used Liquid Tylenol Extra Strength. I found that the Tylenol worked pretty well. The down side is that it is red so you might not want to take it during the re-bleed period (typically days 7-10) which is what I chose to do.

Activities/Talking: I still did not talk at all. I had a little more energy on these days so I was up and around the house a lot more. No lifting or anything, but I could move around easier. I made better attempts at brushing my teeth on these days, but still not what I would consider my best dental care ever. Still no mouthwash or spitting. I also got on the Internet a little these days too. I probably used it a little on days 2 and 3 but I cannot remember.

Day 6/7
    Diet - I added Mac n Cheese to my diet at this point as well. That really leaves a coating on your throat, so make it with a little extra water/milk to help it out.

Pain - Around the afternoon on the 6th day, the pain did get worse. I had to go back to taking my Hydrocodone every 3-4 hours for a day. When I woke up at night, it did get pretty painful. This was the worst pain of the recovery period. It reached what I would consider moderate. I took 1.5 Teaspoons of Hydrocodone every 3 hours for a total of 9 hours. After that, it started to settle down a little. I went back to 1 Teaspoon of Hydro every 4-5 hours and did okay.

Activities: Basically the same as Days 4/5 except with the added pain meds, I felt more groggy so I stayed on the couch more.

Days 8-12(present)
    Diet - Each day the swallowing gets a little easier and eating gets a little easier. I have been eating scrambled eggs and syrup soaked pancakes for breakfast now for the past 4 days. I have tried some other pastas without tomato based sauce and they have been alright. I tried a rice meal one day, but that was a bad idea. The rice is very hard to get all down your throat. With a swollen tongue and mouth, it is hard to get it all out.

Pain - My scabs slowly started to fall off just a little at a time. They still are on the back of my throat now at about 50% of the original size. On days 8-10, I only had to take pain killer in the morning when I woke up (1 teaspoon of Hydrocodone). Days 11 and 12 I have taken none. The pain is almost gone completely when I sit at rest. The swallowing hurts a little. The yawning/jaw spasms I get still hurt for sure.

Activities/Talking: On day 10, I started talking again. It was hard at first and my voice sounds weird to me because of the swelling. It is really hard to talk with any significant volume either. Each day the talking becomes a little easier. My voice tone is different and I sound weird, but I have read on numerous sites that this is normal and it will go away. It hurts to talk still. Not a whole lot, but enough to keep me from really wanting to do it just for the heck of it. On day 8, I tried grilling some food for my dad and girlfriend, but apparently I didnít realize how weak I really was. I almost passed out and had to lie down in the air conditioning to gather my strength back. On day 11, I was definitely stronger. I drove to McDonalds for breakfast on my own. I did some laundry. I have been calling work and getting the scoop for my return. I can tell my head isnít at 100%, but I feel pretty good with the exception of my throat now. I have been able to brush my teeth a lot better now too which is nice.

Sorry for the huge post, but I wanted to share my story. I will write an update in about a week from now letting everyone know how I have progressed. Overall, I think I had a better experience than most, but hopefully it will encourage some of you out there.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #29
    tonsilfamily
    (female)

tonsilfamily HB User

Golfing,

Here are my answesr to your questions. I am a 37 mother of 4 small kids, and had mine out 4/3, due to severe, though infrequent, strep infections. Daily tonsil stones for years. The last infection in February caused my tonsil to abcess. Out they came.

1) Is the pain in the 2nd stage (days 4-7) so bad that you will be in bed or on the couch the whole time? Well, the 7th and 8th day were the only days that I actually cried from the pain. It was pain on a whole other level. Different pain. More searing/burning. I can't say I was confined to the couch those days, but I sure didn't do a whole lot.
    2) I work with computers and am not required to do excessive talking. Do you think I will feel up to doing any work in the first 7-10 days? Well, my job is waiting tables, and I did not work for 3 weeks. But I also sell stuff on eBay, and did do some light work the first week. But I have to say I had to really check some of my work due to being in a codeine-induced haze much of the time!
    3) At what day did you first leave the house to go somewhere or for a walk? I think I went and sat outside and went for a very short walk on day 3.
    4) As per my name, I love to golf. I of course won't golf the first 10-14 day, but when did others have enough physical and mental capacity to do something like golf or excercise. Well, as I said I wait tables for a living, which is pretty strenuous work. I couldn't work for 3 weeks, and when I went back, I was very tired after about 3 hours.
    5) The post mentions no visitors, but I have a toddler and an infant. I am trying to encourage their grandparents to visit often to assist my wife. I had my surgery while my husband was on vacation, and my mom stayed with us for a week and a half. Get all the help you can for your wife! You will not be able to lift your children. It can cause bleeding. I found, too, that even the small amounts of talking I did with my kids made my throat hurt, and my jaw tighten up.
    6) I am driving to the beach 17 days after this procedure where I can further relax. Do! It would be lovely!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #30
    charstarxxxx

charstarxxxx HB User
    Talking Re: Adult Tonsillectomy - Guide for Friends and Family

thank-you so much for this guide, i am having my tonsils out on 25th July 06,

i dont know anyone who has had an adult tonsilectomy, my mum had hers out at 9 and she cant remember any pain , but i think this step by step advice will help her to understand that the adult tonsilectomy is very different from the expereince a child goes through,

my main fear is bleeding and i panic very quickly so am not looking forward to the pain and worry i will go through,

i am 23 and have never actually had tonsilitis, but have expereinced tonsil stones for 2 years and have finally decided enough is enough and they are coming outl nurses and doctors have said my tonsils are not too big but i dont think that means the pain will be any less,

i am REALLY NOT good with any kind of pain, and i hate having small thigs such as injections and going to the dentist so am really not that excited about it but just want this month to pass by quickly

any advice on getting though it without panic and how to deal with the pain??

and also if any of you have had it, what are your views on ICE CREAM? to eat or not to eat? have heard conflicting stories that the coldness numbs the throat but that mucus will develop becuase its dairy?

any advice would be greatly appreciated
    x

Closed Thread