It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• pain after adult tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2006, 08:23 AM   #16
    debralynne
    (female)

debralynne HB User
    Cool Re: pain after adult tonsillectomy

Thank you for the replies! Any tidbits of info. are always helpful. So i had mine taken out yesterday. It went very well. I had the surgery at 7:30am and was actully home by 10:45 am! The pain was SO INTENSE when I first woke up, I couldn't believe it. The doc even told me afterwards "Everything went fine. Good thing they came out because you know Deb, they were just frankly gross". LOL. So after about 5 doses of Morphine, and--thank the good Lord--no bleeding trouble (which I was terrified about), I was sent home. I was given a BIG bottle of liquid Lortab. So I took the advice from ya'll and my doc and just had jello and barely warm chicken broth and ALOT of ice chips. I did kind of blow it in a sense because due to all the dope I hardly had any pain when I first got home and wouldn't shut up talking. I sure paid for that last night! Wow, was the pain intense!! I sure shut up real fast then! I couldn't sleep much last night. It hurts so bad to swallow that the saliva builds up and I actually feel like I'm drooling in my sleep. Everything is so dang swollen that it's kinda hard to lie down and breathe. I kept choking a lot and some crud is lurking around but it's too hard to cough up. Now I haven't had one spot of bleeding yet...is that something hiding around the corner to surprise me? Will the pain be worse in the next few days? Thanks for any advice and for listening to my Lortab-induced rambling. I'm due for another dose in 15 minutes, , so I reckon I'll go have myself a Jello/popsicle/Lortab breakfast! P.S. About how long 'till I can try something like chicken noodle or chicken and rice soup?? Something with some sustanance. I am so hungry!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 09:03 AM   #17
    STAGRE

STAGRE HB User
    Re: pain after adult tonsillectomy

Hey Debralynne,

I was home about 3 hours after surgery. I was in pain but since this is about my 9th surgery in 5 years I wasn't real surprised
    I started with the soup on the second day or third day. I have to admit though, lukewarm Campbell's chicken noodle soup is nasty I got the Ramen noodles in the cup that you just add boiling water to. I let it sit for a while and then ate it. The noodles had just enough texture for the throat I think. The Campbell's soup in the can was almost too mushy. Anything cold hurt after the first day. No carbonated beverages or anything like that. Just water, a LOT of applesauce, scrambled eggs and soup. The eggs were not very good lukewarm either. The applesauce went down pretty well, but I don't care if I ever see another container of it in my lifetime. I bought the little six-packs you get at the store so I didn't have to refrigerate them. I didn't do as well with the jello or popcicles. I tried sherbert because it doesn't have milk in it but it was still too cold. Let's just say that I did not lose any weight. I kept a quart container of water by my bed at night and was constantly sipping from it during the night. I did not sleep well anyway. I would be watching movies at 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning sometimes. My DH loved that After about day 3 or 4 he started sleeping in another bedroom. Can't say I blame him. I had no bleeding, not even one little drop of blood. When you first look at your throat, it looks like "big"craters on each side and you are thinking that you are going to have these big holes on each side of your thoat but mine are just about healed now and they are even with the rest of my mouth or throat or whatever. I guess they have to heal from the inside out. The scabs are white and they will feel like you have something stuck or even a little bit of a scratchy feeling where your tonsils used to be. That feeling is the scabs trying to slough of. Drink LOTS of liquids. I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted after 14 days. I just made sure I chewed very, very well. I forgot. I also got Thrush of the mouth which is a yeast infection that you can get from the antibiotics. The yeast infection also went south. Ladies, you know what I mean The mouthwash they prescribe takes care of everything. Chewing gum helps tremendously, also. Sugarless bubble gum worked best for me. It helps with the jaw soreness and it makes a lot of saliva for you to swallow which is good for healing.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:10 AM   #18
    debralynne
    (female)

debralynne HB User
    Talking Re: pain after adult tonsillectomy

Hi Stagre,
    I sure do appreciate all the info....thanks so much! The Top Ramen sure sounds like a good idea. I found that popsicles don't hurt as bad if I microwave them for about 6 seconds first. The lukewarm broth gets really old really fast, as is the jello...nasty stuff. I'm sure that if I ever see or eat jello or broth again when all this is over it will be much too soon. My mom came over yesterday with some plain and very mushy deviled egg salad. Just the eggs, trace amount of mustard, and a pinch of salt. I was actually able to get that down very slowly in the evening (no bread of course). Had quite a few bouts with pain yesterday afternoon & last night. I was chuckling at your recap of watching movies at 3am, your husband sleeping in the other room, etc. It's so true I couldn't sleep hardly at all last night again, had the TV going at 3am. My beau got a little annoyed - he got up and went to sleep in the spare room. He made me scrambled eggs this morning and those went down ok as long as they were kinda cool (yuck!) and in small chunks. I'm a little scared that solid food particles will get lodged in the vacant spots in my mouth now, you have any trouble with that? I also found that if I drink water too fast or in big sips it kinda goes up my nose. Interesting about the mouth infection. Yeah I was kinda thinking the antibiotics would give me the other dreaded yeast infection, LOL! I can't really see to the back of my throat yet as my tongue is still swollen and has serious clamp marks on it, but I was able to see a little bit of white around the cavities so it sounds like it's the stuff you said was going to slough off. I did call my doctor yesterday and he called me in another bottle of the liquid Lortab as I will run out tonight. Yesterday I tried to go as long as I could without it and at 5-1/2 hours, I was not a happy gal to be around. So I'm finding if I take it religiously the every 4 hours then the pain stays under control. And it also helps to keep my mouth shut and not talk so much. I just don't want to wind up addicted to the stuff, I hear so many horror stories. The doc said I shouldn't as long as I take it just like the label says. I had just a bit of blood last night come out my nose, I figure it just must be some residual blood. By the way, thanks for the suggestion about the gum, very good idea. My goal today is to sleep for more than 2 hours in row. Did you have any trouble with your airflow while sleeping when you first had yours out? Anyhow, thanks again for all the tidbits. Every little bit helps. I reckon I better sign off before I start rambling on and on again.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #19
    mamie
    (female)

mamie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by STAGRE
    I live in Huntsville, AL also Who is doing yours? I think mine were cauterized. The throat hurt but no worse that a bad case of tonsillitis. It just stays around for a little longer. The main thing is not to let the pain get in front of you. The liquid pain stuff wasn't too bad. I never had any success with the Lidicaine but I think that was me and not the medicine.I made sure I ate soft foods and drank an enormous amount of water. Lukewarm , definitely not cold. Cold or hot stuff really hurt! So did anything citrus in it! I started with water and tea but finally stayed with water. It did hurt to swallow but my throat hurt more if I let it get dry. I still have a little dryness in my throat but the scabs are still coming off. Almost all gone though. The top of your throat or mouth or whatever will be red and tender also. I would equate the ear pain with the same sensation as biting the back of your tongue really bad. Your tongue also hurts. But it doesn't last forever I am 53 and if i can come back to work ina week then you should do great!
    Hey,
    I am glad someone replied to me. I am so scared, of getting sick to my stomach... I have a very weak stomach and I dont want to be throwing up. did u get sick??? Dr. Mc Fadden is doing mine...

Old 07-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #20
    mamie
    (female)

mamie HB User

Hey I am so scared I cant help it, I am very easy to get sick to my stomach. I am scared of getting sick.. You asked who was doing my surgery Dr. Mc Fadden is doing mine. He is very nice. But, I am still scared to death.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #21
    debralynne
    (female)

debralynne HB User
    Unhappy Re: pain after adult tonsillectomy

HELP!!!! I am having a really tough time here. I have never been one to complain or whine much but oh my goodness this is some serious pain. I don't know what to do. I hurts so freakin' bad I feel like I'm gonna go crazy. Last night and today have been my worst yet. I have cried three times today. I have been taking 3 teaspoons of my liquid Lortab every 3 hours today. I know that's bad because it says every 4 hours but I don't know what else to do. I've been sipping water all day and a bit of jello. It hurts to talk, to just about do anything. The first two days weren't this bad. I am even starting to cry right now. Has it been this bad for everyone else?? Why is it worse now on the 3rd/4th day post-op? Will it get even more painful? When does it ease up a bit? My throat is screaming in pain. My ears- oh my God, just like knives in them. My tongue still hurts too and even my teeth/jaw! Argh! Right now I seriously wish I never had this done. It seems like it was easier being sick for a few days every month that this constant indescribable pain. Sorry to go on and on but I am so frustrated and just ...... GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! ............ it hurts so bad!!!!!!!!!.......... I don't know what to do or how to make it ease up.

Last edited by debralynne; 07-16-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #22
    Bracelet
    Inactive
    (female)

Bracelet HB User

I feel so badly for you because I know exactly what you're going through! I remember for me the pain was so bad, I didn't know what to do and I thought I would go crazy!

Please just keep taking your pain meds, use a lot of ice around your throat and use heat for your ears. Drink a ton of water to make sure your throat doesn't get dry. And try to sleep in more of a sitting up position, because that helps a little with the pain.

For me, the worst of the pain lasted until about day 6 or 7. It's a really weird kind of recovery, because you'll start feeling better but then you'll feel like crap again the next day. It's so weird.

But the ear pain starts getting really bad when the scabs come off. I remember that feeling like knives, and it sucks!! But the good news is that once you start feeling that ear pain, it only lasts about a day or 2 really intense and then it starts getting just a little better each day. And once the ear pain happens, it means you've turned the corner and you're going to be getting better each day.

I'm so sorry that you're in so much pain, and I know exactly how it feels. I had mine done in April. But I promise you it's going to get better and it's not going to hurt like this forever. Don't feel bad if you start taking the pain meds every 3 hours, because with the ear pain, it's all you can really do to help be able to eat.

Please post again soon and let us know how you're doing. It helps to post here to let others know what you're going through so you know you're not going through this alone. Some of us have been there and we know exactly what you're going through. Just know that everything that you are feeling is normal and to be expected, and it won't last forever.

I really hope you feel better soon! Keep us posted, ok?

Old 07-17-2006, 07:07 AM   #23
    STAGRE

STAGRE HB User

Hi debralynne,

I am glad you are doing oaky. I was a litle nervous at first about stuff getting in the craters where my tonsils used to be but it didn't. I had a mouthwash that I had to gargle with several times a day also and think that got rid of a lot of stuff. I made my DH go to Taco Bell one night because refried beans suddenly stated sounding so good to me. Normally I can take them or leave them. I did have to let them cool down a little but they tasted good!!! The main thing is to keep pushing the liquids and gradually work up to semi-solid foods. I actually ate a can of Vienna sausages and they tasted so good. At that point I think I was ready to eat anything. I used to eat the sausages a long, long time ago but have gotten a little mre health conscious the last 15 years or so. The sausages are soft or you could try the baby food sausages. Not quite as "tasty' but they have the texture yoou need for chewing and swallowing. It has been 4 weeks and I feel great! Still have the scabs coming off but not very noticeable. Just hang in there and remember that the pain will not last forever. Good Luck!!

Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #24
    mamie
    (female)

mamie HB User

Hello,
    Tomorrow is my surgery, I am scared to death of getting sick to my stomach and start throwin up. I have to be at the hospital at 10:00 and my surgery is 11:30, I am getting so nervous. PLease someone relpy to me ...

Old 07-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #25
    STAGRE

STAGRE HB User

Tell the anestheseologist about getting sick. They give you something in your IV so you won't get nauseaus. I don't have a problem with it but the ENT doc should give you a prescription for Phenergan, also for at home. Take them. They will help you sleep if nothing else I was more scared about the pain afterwards than the surgery itself. In some ways it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone said. The only pain that rated a 10 in my case was the ear pain and that wasn't constant. It sort of snuck up on you. Remember that I am 53 and if I can get through it, then I know you can.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #26
    mamie
    (female)

mamie HB User
    Unhappy Re: pain after adult tonsillectomy

ty, so much for replying to me, I am so wrried arent u the one from huntsville? if so who did urs??

Old 07-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #27
    STAGRE

STAGRE HB User

Hi Mamie,

Dr. Mark Hagood did mine.

stagre

Old 07-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #28
    mamie
    (female)

mamie HB User

hey,
    I have heard of him. I think he did my brother in laws, im just so scared of getting sick....

Old 07-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #29
    Bracelet
    Inactive
    (female)

Bracelet HB User

Mamie, I replied to the post that you left on Friday called "Adult Tonsillectomy". You should read my reply because I gave you really good info.

And don't be so scared about being sick. I was too, but it was fine.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:50 PM   #30
    mamie
    (female)

mamie HB User

I am sorry I didnt see it.

Closed Thread