HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Ear, Nose & Throat (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/ear-nose-throat/)
-   -   pain after adult tonsillectomy (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/ear-nose-throat/399894-pain-after-adult-tonsillectomy.html)

debralynne 07-17-2006 04:33 PM

Re: pain after adult tonsillectomy

Thank you so much for the advice, kind words, encouragement and sympathy. I have been feeling like such a baby, it helps hearing your experiences. Last night was rough, I cried once or twice again. I think I got a total of 3 hours sleep. Tonight I am going to try sleeping upright as you suggested... thank you for that!.... as I notice when I wake up the pain is even more intense. I haven't done a thing all day. All my focus, energy, and thoughts end up going to my ears and throat. I tried cleaning up the kitchen and even that seemed to aggravate it. I had to call the doctor for a refill this morning, I don't know yet if it has been done. I am scared he may think I am abusing it or whatever. I was hurting so bad earlier this afternoon that I even had to take a Percocet my mom had given me just in case. I felt bad taking it but it sure did dull the pain for a solid 4 hours! You mentioned it really hurts when the scabs come off... are the scabs that whitish/grey stuff where the surgery was done? I am finding water is a Godsend, even though it hurts to swallow sometimes. I tried to eat some chicken & rice soup today but that was a joke; plus, I was paranoid that some rice might get stuck in those cavities. I'm just gonna stick with water, broth, and jello for a while. You know it even hurts to talk. (I feel like such a complete whiner right now, sorry.). And people keep calling me to see how I'm feeling, which I know they mean well but it's everything I can do to force out the word hello! Well I don't want to keep complaining. I've just never felt so much pain and just down and frustrated in my life and am just trying to adjust handling it. Thank you SO MUCH, again, for your support and encouragement. Sure does mean a lot to hear from others who have been through it. P.S. Mamie: Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. You are gonna be just fine. I hardly got nauseaus at all and they gave me something anyway just in case I did. I was very nervous like you before I had mine done last week (Thurs.). The surgery itself was not at all as bad as I thought it would be. I had terrible anxiety beforehand but once I was at the hospital it went away.

mamie 07-17-2006 05:02 PM

Thank you so much, I am hoping it all goes well for me. I hope u get better soon... Maybe u will feel like ur self soon... I will try my best to get on here and let everyone know how i am doing. thank you again..

Much love,
mamie

debralynne 07-17-2006 06:03 PM

I am sure it will all be fine. I will say a prayer for you that God help ease your nerves and that you don't get sick. I just know ur gonna be ok. I would let the docs and surgery nurses know about your fears and concerns so they can put your mind at ease. I am sure looking forward to when I feel like myself again! I talked to my doc an hour ago and he phones in more pain meds. He basically said to just keep riding the storm out. Oh yeah, when you are in recovery room make sure you tell them the exact degree of your pain so they can take care of it and keep you comfortable. Also, I found that with all the morphine and anesthesia in my system, I was feeling pretty good (considering) while in recovery and couldn't stop talking or looking around. The nurses and my friend kept telling me to shut up and close my eyes but I didn't and sure paid for it later. So just take it real easy. Best of luck, remember that you're gonna be fine, and as soon as you're up to it let us know how you're doing, k? Luv, Deb.

Tomzinho 07-22-2006 09:59 PM

i'm a 36 year old male in good shape who had my left tonsil removed six days ago. there has been a lot of pain, i was/have been given a lot of drugs. specifically, i have:
- acetaminophen/codeine (liquid codeine)
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen (something even stronger, also liquid)

in sufficient quantities to take a tablespoon of one or the other almost every hour during waking hours for about two weeks. i went through the first batch fairly quickly, not caring about dosage but pain management (i got two bottles and clearence for three refills each). after the pharmacist make a comment that each fill should last four days (it was day 3), i marked out the dosages and have been more diligent about keeping track (although in general, if in pain, use them and don't ask, tell your doctor if you need more).

i had been having smoothies for breakfast for quite some time and so it was easy to continue to do so, although before i'd be done in 10 minutes and now it takes me all morning. the intial days it was just cold water and jello and chicken broth at room temperature. i am now onto more complex soups (cream of pea is a good one) and soft noodles (udon or soba, which is served cold usually).

i still haven't slept a night all the way through, but it is getting better. at first, i found that i had to position my head almost strait up because if i lied down flat (1) it hurt more, and (2) something would flap over somewhere in there and i couldn't exhale through my nose (very scary the first time it happened). during the night the pain medication wears off and you dehydrate so the mornings are always the worst. i don't try to eat (ie: sip my smoothie) first thing in the morning but just rehydrate and reduce the pain (double shot of pain killer). i feel i've progressed nicely, but reading a bunch of sites i understand that at the 7-10 day mark the scars/scabs/whatever begin to fall off and that can present new challenges. don't know about those yet.

strangely enough it was recommended that i chew gum, which at first seems like a ridiculus exercise but it does get the jaw warmed up allowing me to swallow better and i feel, 'progress'.

overall, the reason i had the procedure was because a 'mass' had been discovered in my left tonsil. i went in for a biopsy to test for cancer, and while i was under they got to take a closer look at the mass and decided that it was highly unlikely to be cancer, so they took out the whole tonsil. so while there is some pain to deal with, i'm feeling great because it was 'just an infection', and nothing more serious.

good luck to all and hang in there!

Bracelet 07-23-2006 07:55 AM

I keep telling people who've had the surgery to chew gum, because it helps a lot with the healing process. No one here on the board seems to believe me, but it's true! Because one of my biggest problems after the surgery was with yawning and sneezing - both of which hurt a LOT. But I kept chewing the gum and it helped heal all of that up faster. Anything that helps with saliva production and exercising those throat muscles is going to help, guys!!

scrapfor10 07-24-2006 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=mamie]Hey,
I am glad someone replied to me. I am so scared, of getting sick to my stomach... I have a very weak stomach and I dont want to be throwing up. did u get sick??? Dr. Mc Fadden is doing mine...[/QUOTE]

Wow you guys have been talkative! They do give you something to prevent nausea & vomitting. I was a bleeder 2 weeks post op & when they did the 2nd surgery they again gave me something to avoid any vomitting.

scrapfor10 07-24-2006 09:51 AM

I know by now you are probably feeling better but I just wanted to answer this in case someone else might need the info. I say do NOT let them make you feel that way! Most docs these days will not worry about the very tiny risk of addiction (2-3%) & will go ahead & Rx what is needed. I had quite the ordeal though with the dr. & nurses all questioning my need for pain killers. Honestly I wonder now if maybe I had an underlying infection & should have insisted on being seen sooner in their office. B/c the left side is what continued to hurt the most well into week 2 & that is also the side that bled & had to be recauterized. That is also the side where he cleaned out the wax in my ear. Anyhow the pain was very bad but I am here to say it did get better! Even after my 2nd surgery it was only about a week after that that I could start to function normally. I came away sort of emotionally a mess though b/c one of the boys off of my son's baseball team had to be transported via ambulance to the hossy & I started to cry in public omg! LOL
It just reminded me of myself bleeding like crazy, being so scared & having them come to my house.
Be reminded that I am in the minority, most ppl do NOT bleed, many ppl don't have quite the pain that I did also.
I was told NO advil/ibuprofen. Reason for this is that it acts like aspirin & can cause you to bleed. Go figure I bled anyhow but I was not going to risk another bleed so I stayed away with it until about 6 weeks post op.
Also, scratchy stuff is a no no. I'm surprised that a few ppl have been told to eat scratchy foods.
Oh btw I came off the Lortab w/no withdrawel problems. The whole attitude that my doc office had re: addiction to me was ridiculous. I was NOT really enjoying my meds, oh that I could have enjoyed the little buzz lol but I was too busy feeling pain & trying to get relief lol @@

[QUOTE=debralynne]Thank you so much for the advice, kind words, encouragement and sympathy. I have been feeling like such a baby, it helps hearing your experiences. Last night was rough, I cried once or twice again. I think I got a total of 3 hours sleep. Tonight I am going to try sleeping upright as you suggested... thank you for that!.... as I notice when I wake up the pain is even more intense. I haven't done a thing all day. All my focus, energy, and thoughts end up going to my ears and throat. I tried cleaning up the kitchen and even that seemed to aggravate it. I had to call the doctor for a refill this morning, I don't know yet if it has been done. I am scared he may think I am abusing it or whatever. I was hurting so bad earlier this afternoon that I even had to take a Percocet my mom had given me just in case. I felt bad taking it but it sure did dull the pain for a solid 4 hours! You mentioned it really hurts when the scabs come off... are the scabs that whitish/grey stuff where the surgery was done? I am finding water is a Godsend, even though it hurts to swallow sometimes. I tried to eat some chicken & rice soup today but that was a joke; plus, I was paranoid that some rice might get stuck in those cavities. I'm just gonna stick with water, broth, and jello for a while. You know it even hurts to talk. (I feel like such a complete whiner right now, sorry.). And people keep calling me to see how I'm feeling, which I know they mean well but it's everything I can do to force out the word hello! Well I don't want to keep complaining. I've just never felt so much pain and just down and frustrated in my life and am just trying to adjust handling it. Thank you SO MUCH, again, for your support and encouragement. Sure does mean a lot to hear from others who have been through it. P.S. Mamie: Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. You are gonna be just fine. I hardly got nauseaus at all and they gave me something anyway just in case I did. I was very nervous like you before I had mine done last week (Thurs.). The surgery itself was not at all as bad as I thought it would be. I had terrible anxiety beforehand but once I was at the hospital it went away.[/QUOTE]

scrapfor10 07-24-2006 09:53 AM

believe me I did everything I could to heal faster & relieve my pain! I did all the right things. Sometimes no matter what you do or try, while it might still be good for you, you will have continued pain. I drank all the water, took my vitamins religiously, ate popsicles & cold items, chewed on things like the gum.

[QUOTE=Bracelet]I keep telling people who've had the surgery to chew gum, because it helps a lot with the healing process. No one here on the board seems to believe me, but it's true! Because one of my biggest problems after the surgery was with yawning and sneezing - both of which hurt a LOT. But I kept chewing the gum and it helped heal all of that up faster. Anything that helps with saliva production and exercising those throat muscles is going to help, guys!![/QUOTE]

AMacho426 07-24-2006 10:00 AM

I thought I posted in this thread, but I can't seem to find it, so I'll post again.

On my 2nd day, I got sick and vomitted. And nothing happened. I thought my scabs were going to come off or I'd bleed, but I didn't. Just wanted to ease some people minds about the whole vomitting thing.

debralynne 07-24-2006 10:56 PM

Again, thank you so much for the encouragement and advice. I am at day 11 now, doing a bit better. It is reassuring to hear others' experiences, as I don't not feel so much like a cry-baby or like my situation "must be worse than everyone else's, as this much pain just can't be normal", you know? I'm having a hell of a time with the ear pain, especially the left one. Friday night I was eating some chow-mein and oh my goodness it felt to good to eat some real food but by the 6th bite or so, good Lord was I in pain! I still ate like 4 or 5 more bites though, pratically on the verge of tears, because it tasted so good. I still have been having to sleep sitting up, hurts to swallow most the time, and I can sure tell when that liquid Lortab wears off. It doesn't seem to last long, only about 2-3 hours or so. When it gets REAL bad, my folks will give me a Percocet or two and that helps. Last night about midnight I had to go to the ER because the ear pain was unlike anything I'd ever experienced and nothing was helping. It's a 45 min. drive there, and once I got there the pain was undescribable. The ER doc was such a jerk, he had MAJOR attitude. He checked everything out and there was no bleeding or obvious signs of infection so he gave me a shot of Tordol (which is like a super strength Advil I guess) and an IV drip of antibiotic just in case. The Tordol didn't do a thing. He said he wouldn't give me anything else :confused: because my bloodwork came back fine. (Humorous side note: My brother is the one who took me and he is a 6'8", 250lb. machine gunner in the Marine Corps. When he saw how much pain I was in and that the doctor wasn't gonna do a thing about it, WOW... you should have the look in his eyes! :mad: Talk about being P.O.'ed! :mad: I had to talk him into staying calm and just letting it go!). So I got home at 5am, took a double dose of Lortab and called my doc when I woke up. Needless to say, he was not happy at all to hear about what happened. He phones in another bottle of Lortab, told me he was not worried to much about me getting addicted, and I am to see him on Friday. So I'm getting better, just not as fast as I'd like I guess. The ear pain just frustrates me so bad as it seems to consume every waking (even sleeping) moment. I'm kinda hoping that by Friday it will be a lot better, as that will be 14 days. Once again, thanks for listening to and putting up with my whining. As always, input, stories, and suggestions are much appreciated! :)

Bracelet 07-25-2006 04:45 AM

Hey Deb, I remember my ear pain stuck around for a while, too. Although maybe not as intensely as yours by day 11.....but maybe it did, I don't completely remember. My surgery was in April and I'm already having trouble remembering some details. Must be Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear your ear pain is so severe. But your doc is right about the pain meds. Don't be worried about how much you're taking, because you need to take enough to not be in so much pain.

Also, I totally remember when I was soooooo hungry but couldn't eat a lot because of the ear pain. I'll never forget THAT feeling, because it made me cry a lot when I was starving but couldn't eat more than a few bites of anything.

You're still doing really well and I'm glad to hear that things are improving for you. Just remember that the process for recovery for THIS surgery is unlike any other. THIS surgery is one of those one-step forward, two-step back type things.

STAGRE 07-25-2006 06:23 AM

Hi Deb,

Just hang in there! It has been 5 weeks now since I had my tonsils removed. I told my husband last night that this was the first day that I didn't feel the scabs on the sides of my throat. I haven't looked at my throat for several days so I assume most of the scabs are gone. The ear pain was the worse for me. Just on my right side though. I honestly don't think anyone can imagine the pain unless they go through it. I could handle the sore throat but the ear pain was hell!!! I have had several surgeries but nothing hurt like the ear did. On the bright side though, the bad ear pain only lasted on and off for about 5 days. Seems like a long time but just keep telling yourself that it won't be forever. I think the reason pain meds don't help it is because it is the nerves that are going crazy. Not much helps nerve pain. I think they are the same nerves you hit when you bite the back of your tongue. That is what it felt like to me. It is just that when you bite your tongue, the pain doesn't last that long. The ear pain lasts a lot longer. I think they are the same nerves that the dentist deadens when he works on the back teeth because those same teeth would also hurt as much as the ear did. Sort of like a double whammy!! Let me know how you are doing.

stagre

gcloud911 07-25-2006 10:21 PM

Hi,
You have absolutely no idea how "happy" (not the best word...) I am to find that I'm not alone in this!!!!! I am 34 and had my tonsils taken out July
17th.
Now, I knew this wasn't going to be a walk in the park, but I had NO idea just [I]how[/I] horrible I'd feel!!!!

I had my surgery done on an outpatient basis starting at about 8:30 that morning and I was released before 12:30pm. The first 3 days the ONLY thing I could keep down was water...so any pain meds or icky lukewarm chicken broth or popsicle I tried to get down...just came right back up. :rolleyes:
The liquid Lortab only lasts about 2 hours (as others have said) and I called the Doc's office 3 mornings in a row crying to see if they could switch me to something that would help control the pain!! Well, no luck there! Basically I was told that this IS much harder for an adult than it is for a child and that everything I was feeling was normal...OH JOY...
Well, after 3 days of throwing everything (except water) back up, I was able to keep down a couple of Edy's Frozen Fruit bars...let me just jump off on that tangent for a bit. I figured if I was going to have to eat popsicles for awhile, why not make them [B]healthier[/B] for me than just popsicles! So 10 boxes of frozen fruit bars in the freezer, I thought I was all set!!! WRONG!!! They taste good and ARE healthier for you, but they aren't icy like popsicles and only make you feel like you have really thick gunk in your mouth to try to either swallow or spit out!! BLAH!!!
So, I had hubby go to the store and get me some regular old popsicles that seem to work a little better than the fruit bars, but I still haven't eaten many of them because they taste too sweet for me.
I've eaten more Jello in the past 9 days than I care to admit...anyone know a good Jello recipe????? :p But that is about the easiest thing to make slide down my throat.

The pain...well lets just say...if these tonsils ever grow back again...I'm NOT doing this again...(sorry, don't want to scare anyone away from the surgery). I would go through childbirth again in a heartbeat before I would go through this surgery again! I consider myself as having a high pain tolerance, and I hate taking meds of any kind unless I [I]have to.[/I]I've been taking my Lortab religiously every 4 hours or so...but those 2 hours after it stops working is pure H---!!! The lidocaine works somewhat, but to me it just numbs my tongue and makes me talk funny more than anything else!!! I know, in the long run, I will probably be glad I did this when I have fewer sore throats and losses of my voice and losses of days at work because I have no voice!! (I got sick 6 times in 5 months this past Winter, losing my voice and lost 11 days of work having to call in sick). I'm a 9-1-1 dispatcher and if I don't have a voice, I can't work. Besides, doesn't sound good if YOU sound worse on the other end of the 9-1-1 call than the person that is calling you for help! :D

As others have stated, I'm no stranger to 2am, 3am, 4am...I've only been sleeping about 2 hours at a clip (for a good nap) and I'm starting to get very exhausted, and somewhat irritable! I'm sure everyone in the United States has heard my 8.5 on the Richter Scale stomach rumble at least once in the last 9 days!!

Oh...I know this is getting long-winded, but...I also have a 3 year old...and was told that I'm not allowed to pick her up for at least 10 days. Try explaining that to a 3 year old! Thank Goodness for Gramma and Bumpa (my parents) taking her for almost 5 days from day 1 of my surgery and now I've had the house to myself for the last 2 nights as hubby took the kids camping.

Is there an end in sight????? As I said at the start of my novel here...I'm just sooooooooooooooooooo glad to see I'm not alone in this. And I just happened upon this thread doing a Google search because I can't sleep!!! Imagine that!!!!
Here's hoping that we can all partake in our favorite foods soon!! (lost 8 lbs so far)

gcloud911 07-25-2006 10:27 PM

[QUOTE=mamie]Hey,
I am glad someone replied to me. I am so scared, of getting sick to my stomach... I have a very weak stomach and I dont want to be throwing up. did u get sick??? Dr. Mc Fadden is doing mine...[/QUOTE]
I don't know if you've had your surgery yet...as I just discovered this message board about an hour ago...
I got sick for 3 days...and I HATE to get sick...but the advice the nurse gave me...is if you feel like you have to get sick, DON'T try to hold it back...just let it go... Trying to keep yourself from throwing up is worse than actually doing it!! Good luck!

gcloud911 07-25-2006 10:41 PM

[QUOTE=Tomzinho]

i still haven't slept a night all the way through, but it is getting better. at first, i found that i had to position my head almost strait up because if i lied down flat (1) it hurt more, and (2) something would flap over somewhere in there and i couldn't exhale through my nose (very scary the first time it happened).

[/QUOTE]
Sleeping sitting up is the ONLY way I've slept (even if it is only 2 hours at a time) for the past 8 almost 9 days!!!! I've had that strange scary something flap over in my throat, too, if I lean my head back too far and could breathe IN through my nose fine...but couldn't breathe out!!!! Fortunately, that happened to me in recovery and I expressed my concern (in a bit of a panic) to the nurse and she told me to make sure I sleep pretty much sitting up!!! The last time I looked in my mouth with the flashlight...my Uvula...the thing that hangs down in your throat was the size of a large marble!!!! No wonder we can't swallow and are in pain!!!!! I know its physically impossible to swallow the darn thing because its attached...but that's sure what it feels like is going to happen at times!:p