It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• pain after adult tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #61
    debralynne
    (female)

debralynne HB User
    Cool Re: pain after adult tonsillectomy

Hi London,
    I am sorry to hear that you are having so much ear pain, it can be very irritating. Just remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am 34 days post-op now and doing great... no pain whatsoever. The pain in my left ear was so bad the first two weeks, it would literally drop me to the floor in tears. I even went to emergency room at about 10 days because I thought I had an infection because that much pain just didn't seem normal. You have my sympathies. But just keep in mind that "this too shall pass". This website sure helped me, knowing I wasn't alone. I assume you have some sort of decent pain medication...make sure and take that as scheduled. Drink A LOT of water, room temp is best. Jello, lukewarm broth are good, and sometimes a popsicle microwaved for 6 seconds or ice cream (just plain, no nuts or cholate chips or anything) microwaved for 8 seconds would sort-of help. This is weird, but I found that when my ear was hurting real bad, I would just sit quietly and barely stick the tip of my index finger in my ear (kinda like what you do when someone tells you to plug your ears, you know?), resting my jaw in the palm of my hand while putting a little pressure towards the back of my cheek. I know it sounds weird, , but it helped me a little bit. Chewing gum, but not for too long, helps as bit also. Other than that, just try to be patient, try to relax (I think I watched every DVD I have, probably twice!), don't skip your pain meds, and ride out the storm. If you get frustrated and it hurts so bad, don't be ashamed to cry. You gotta vent somehow. At day 12 to 14, you should be feeling better. I feel great now and am so glad I had it done. I haven't been sick for 6 weeks now, it's great; plus I stopped snoring! Hang in there, and let us know how you are doing. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #62
    London_Lass
    (female)

London_Lass HB User
    Re: pain after adult tonsillectomy

Thankyou for your kind words. I am now 12 days post-op and feeling so so much better! Thankfully the agonising pain in my ears only lasted 2 days....but my goodness were they long days! I am now feeling fine in myself, just in a bit of pain in my left ear and throat on the left side, but that seems to be getting better day by day. The pain is always worst first thing in the morning when I wake up, I guess because the throat has dried out overnight? I am now able to eat almost anything, although it is still a bit painful. Thankyou all so much for your tips, they have all really come in handy. The chewing gum advice I found to be really helpful especially, it loosened my jaw and relieved the pain quite well! Hope everyone is doing well and is pain-free! xxx

Last edited by London_Lass; 08-21-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #63
    anb4e
    (female)

anb4e HB User

Ohhh boy does all of what you are saying sound all too familiar. This really does suck I am not going to lie and quite fankly I cannot wait till it is all over. I am at one day short of a week after my surgery and I am in horrible condition. I have not been on any pain killers since day two (I had liquid vicodin) and it made me sick. I havent really been able to keep down any medications. I didnt take any liquid childrens advil like my doctor told me to after it made me sick this morning. The only thing I am able to keep down is flat ginger ale because it settles my stomach. My ears also hurt as well. I did feel a little better and went for a rode in the car while my friend ran errands. I didnt experience much pain but I did tire out very fast. I have had no solid foods yet just popsicles and liquids. My biggest problem was throwing up, it hurt oh so bad! Even worse is the conjestion I have in my throat and how bad it is when I go to breathe in and it all comes up. I also have a lot of saliva that is very thick and it feels like I have to spit it out every 5 minutes. I would say that is the worst part of this whole thing.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:35 AM   #64
    SDKing
    (male)

SDKing HB User
    Should I be concerned?

As I was clearing my throat carefully, I noticed in my spit a little (just a dab) of bright red blood. I looked in my throat and I can see from the tonsilor bed (where the scabbing is) a reddish spot that looks like a blood spot that could be oozing, but I am not 100% sure.

It appears to be where my tonsil used to be. At what point should I get worried?

Thoughts?

Old 09-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #65
    Nicolet84
    (female)

Nicolet84 HB User

Hi, I'm 22 and I had my Tonsils out 11 days ago. Worst pain I've ever had but each day is getting better. I don't know if anyone can help me but my doctor didnt give me any post answers... for example : when can i have soft drinks? I heard the carbonation is bad after surgery but when is it okay? when can i have wine? I normally have a half glass once a week for my heart. When can i use mouth wash...?? Just simple things werent explained. does anyone know from experience???? Thanks

Old 09-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #66
    Nicolet84
    (female)

Nicolet84 HB User
    Re: Should I be concerned?

I would call your doctor. I didnt have anything like that but everyone is different so it could be perfectly fine but its best to call and ask. There should be a a white matter where your tonsils use to be. That is protecting your tonsils and creating new skin. It will go away and then your scabs come off around the 7-12th day. Mine just came off today and im on day 11 and finally the white stuff is gone off of my tonsils. Hope this helps.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #67
    debralynne
    (female)

debralynne HB User
    Cool Re: pain after adult tonsillectomy

Believe me, you'll know when you can have soda pop. The first time I tried it when I was recovering...I guess about 1 week or so... I tried some Sprite and oh my goodness did it ever burn and hurt to gulp down. So I would try a sip every few days or so until I could drink it with no pain. If you're throat isn't ready for the carbonation, it will for sure let you know. If you pour it in a glass first it helps 'cause it breaks up some of the carbonation. As for wine, I had some about 3 weeks post op. I was just concerned about mixing the alcohol and the pain medicine. At this point, you should be fine. Just use your judgement, you know? The mouthwash question..... ...... I think I could be a bad one to ask about that. I was gargling with small amounts of Listerine about 3 times a day the 3rd day after my surgery. My doctor was pretty much speechless, said he wouldn't recommend it but if I was able to tolerate the burn and did it gently, then to go ahead. So I would say just use your best judgement once again. I reckon you should be better by now, most importantly just use common sense and listen to your body/throat. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #68
    moospys50+
    (female)

moospys50+ HB User

I am getting ready to have a tonsillectomy and it will be just before my 54th birthday. Luckily, I am in excellent health and my biggest worry is that I don't have much experience with pain or being sick. I was treated for fluid on my ear with three rounds of antibiotics, steroids, decongestants and anitihistamines with absolutely no change. My physician had told me to begin with that I had evidence of chronic infection in my tonsils. So when the aggressive treatment did not work, he said he had to put a tube in my ear to get the fluid off and my hearing restored, and he recommended getting rid of the source of the problem, my tonsils.

I am interested in how the recouperation of the people on this board progressed and if you had the coblation-assisted procedure or the electrocautery. I was told to plan to be off work a week but as with pregnancy, everyone wants to tell you their horror stories which have me wondering if that is enough. I have a VERY fast paced and stressful job. If I get to feeling bad I cannot just shut myself in my office and I do not have anyone who can cover for my last minute. The work does not wait and has to be covered. I must plan ahead.

Thanks for any help/advise you can lend. My surgery is Oct 13th.
    Moospys50+

Old 09-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #69
    moospys50+
    (female)

moospys50+ HB User

Vicki,
    I am from Topeka and just post for the first time as I am getting ready for this surgery. Who is your Doc and could you reply to my posting?
    Moospys50+

Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #70
    shoreswanabe
    (female)

shoreswanabe HB User

Hello I had my surgery on the 11 of Sept & I am 28. I strongly reccomend taking at least 2 weeks off. You will more than likely need it & it is better to be safe than sorry. As you have probably read the first couple of days are ok, days 3 thru 8 or 9 are pretty bad, & you will need a couple of days to get some strength back when you can finally eat again. Besides if you are moving around or lifting alot you are in danger of hemmroging <sp>. Please make sure that you have someone to look after you & make sure that everything is being taken care of. My friends & my brother were my lifesavers. I hope your surgery goes great & I wish you a great recovery & hope that you will be one of the lucky ones that do not experiance much pain.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:09 PM   #71
    moospys50+
    (female)

moospys50+ HB User

Thanks, I did talk to my boss and go back to my doctors nurse and all support 2wks off. Was your procedure coblation-assisted? This uses radiowaves in a saline solution for the removal and it allows for a removal where there is a clean seperation between live and dead tissue. Damaged tissue is very minimal, thus faster healing and less pain, so they say

I have not talked to anyone who has had this procedure but would like to.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #72
    shoreswanabe
    (female)

shoreswanabe HB User

Truthfully I am not sure the DR never said one way or the other & I did not know about different types before I went in. I went in for my post op appointment today & the DR was in & out & I did not have a chance to ask. However I do want to let you know that I have been able to tell the difference since day one. I had my tonsills & adnoids removed & something done to my turbinates. I used to not be able to breath thru my nose & would wake up several times throughout the night. I have been able to breath through my nose since day of surgery even with the packing in my nose. I am so grateful that this should help with cutting down on sickness as well. Don't let the posts scare you away from the surgery. It is bad but you will get through it & come out better in the end.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:25 PM   #73
    atlguy1911
    (male)

atlguy1911 HB User

Hey Guys...

I'm new to this, I'm glad I found this board. However, I need some advice. I just got my tonsils removed yesterday...so I'm on day #2 speaking with you guys. I was wondering about using Shower Soothers to aid in the healing process? Has anyone tried them before? I know when I had bad colds it aided in my healing. Also I have a Vick Vaporizer in my room so I wouldn't get so stuffed with crud. Also my uvula is the size of the texas, any suggestions in reducing the size. It very difficult to talk as well, my doctor suggested I get some Sucrets to aid in the day to day. I heard Bendaryl was good for reducing the uvula size?? Can Zyrtec to the same? Does neckpain come with tonsil removal? My pharmacy gave me a generic version of Lortab...should I have requested the branded version. However, I'm taking that every 4 hours and also I'm on the pink antiboxic liquid.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #74
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

atlguy1911,
    Welcome, I hope that we can help you through this.

"I just got my tonsils removed yesterday...so I'm on day #2 speaking with you guys. I was wondering about using Shower Soothers to aid in the healing process? Has anyone tried them before? I know when I had bad colds it aided in my healing. Also I have a Vick Vaporizer in my room so I wouldn't get so stuffed with crud."
    I have heard of the use of the vaporizer's and humidifiers before, but not the shower soothers. Immediately after surgery, you want cold... cold food, cold water, ice chips, and shakes, and smoothies.

"Also my uvula is the size of the texas, any suggestions in reducing the size. It very difficult to talk as well, my doctor suggested I get some Sucrets to aid in the day to day. I heard Bendaryl was good for reducing the uvula size?? Can Zyrtec to the same?"
    Anti-histimines are also anti-inflammetories.. so yes zrytec will help with swelling as will cold food and ice.

"Does neckpain come with tonsil removal?"
    Yes. They put your head at an odd angle for best visualization of the tonsils for extraction.

"My pharmacy gave me a generic version of Lortab...should I have requested the branded version. However, I'm taking that every 4 hours and also I'm on the pink antiboxic liquid."
    I tend to take generics whenever possible, the only time I have encountered a difference is with tylenol.. the generic acetomenophen.

Also check out the post "LisaMP's guide.." and "KFen's Sept. 5th post" there is an aweful lot of good information in both..

Best wishies on a great recovery.
    MG

Old 09-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #75
    atlguy1911
    (male)

atlguy1911 HB User

Okay guys this is day #3 i have a temp of 99.7 and i have exceesive saliva...is this normal? My doctor just put me on steriods to reduce the swelling of the uvula...

Closed Thread