It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• pain after adult tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #76
    HRWade
    (female)

HRWade HB User
    Re: pain after adult tonsillectomy

Hi Atlguy,

I am 1 day behind you, so please keep posting so I'll know what is coming around the corner.

"this is day #3 i have a temp of 99.7 and i have exceesive saliva...is this normal? My doctor just put me on steriods to reduce the swelling of the uvula..."

The temp is probably up due to the steroids your doc put you on & the fact that your body burns energy to heal. My doc told me not to worry about a fever unless it reached 101.5, then to call him.

I wish I had excessive saliva! The demerol has my mouth so dry, I feel like I've sucked on the sourest pickle ever! I am constantly chewing gum & drinking tea, but it's no help. The gum feels & tastes like rubber. The only relief I get is when I brush my teeth (at least once every 2 hours, my teeth are going to fall out due to OVER brushing!), but it is a short relief.

In the past 2 hours, my ears & jaw have really begun to aggravate me, not intense pain, just a constant ache.

I hope the steroids help the inflammation in your uvula. Mine feels like it is getting stuck every once in a while. I wake up feeling like I'm choking or I'm coughing.

This sucks, but we'll get through it!

~Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #77
    atlguy1911
    (male)

atlguy1911 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HRWade
    Hi Atlguy,

I am 1 day behind you, so please keep posting so I'll know what is coming around the corner.

"this is day #3 i have a temp of 99.7 and i have exceesive saliva...is this normal? My doctor just put me on steriods to reduce the swelling of the uvula..."

The temp is probably up due to the steroids your doc put you on & the fact that your body burns energy to heal. My doc told me not to worry about a fever unless it reached 101.5, then to call him.

I wish I had excessive saliva! The demerol has my mouth so dry, I feel like I've sucked on the sourest pickle ever! I am constantly chewing gum & drinking tea, but it's no help. The gum feels & tastes like rubber. The only relief I get is when I brush my teeth (at least once every 2 hours, my teeth are going to fall out due to OVER brushing!), but it is a short relief.

In the past 2 hours, my ears & jaw have really begun to aggravate me, not intense pain, just a constant ache.

I hope the steroids help the inflammation in your uvula. Mine feels like it is getting stuck every once in a while. I wake up feeling like I'm choking or I'm coughing.

This sucks, but we'll get through it!

~Heather
    Heather, welcome to the club. I up here breaking a sweat and stuff up here...with my serious sore throat and all. The back of my throat looks like it's coated with ice cream. What type of meds are you on? I'm starting to develop a cough.

Food Alert:

Today I had some baked chicken, soften steamed brochollii, and extra creamy mac and cheese. However, I was only able to take a couple of bites...however I was informed the faster I start eating regular food the quicker I heal.

Side Note, I think i'm coming down with a cold...got a naggin cough coming on now...my doctor told me get some old school sucrets...wow, I didn't know they still made those.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #78
    HRWade
    (female)

HRWade HB User

atlguy,

"The back of my throat looks like it's coated with ice cream."

The back of my throat is the same way, completely gross. I don't know how it is ever going to look like a real throat again! I thought DH was going to vomit just looking at it (at least my brothers think its cool ).

"What kind of meds are you on?"

I am taking the same thing you are I think every 3.5-4 hours (generic lortab liquid, right?), phenergan suppositories, Omnicef antibiotic, & a capsule with a mixture of demerol & phenergan for breakthrough pain (pain in between the regular lortab dosage). I've only had to take 2 of the demerol pills, one last night b/c I think I did too much yesterday, that lingering anesthesia & morphine made me feel like I was 10 feet tall & bulletproof....until it wore off .

I had to take another one this evening b/c my ears were starting to hurt between the doses of lortab. I've been fighting sleep ever since, really want to try to sleep tonight.

"I'm starting to develop a cough."

If I doze off, I'll wake up with a dry throat cough. Plus, I quit smoking before my surgery, so it is normal to have more of a cough right after you quit smoking----sucks.

"Today I had some baked chicken, soften steamed brochollii, and extra creamy mac and cheese. However, I was only able to take a couple of bites...however I was informed the faster I start eating regular food the quicker I heal."

I've been lucky, I've pretty much eaten what I wanted (except the grilled cheese sandwich DH wouldn't make me). Yesterday I had a Wendy's Frosty on the way home (almost lost that due to DH's heavy foot in traffic...sudden start--sudden stop, uggghh). I had mac/chz & applesauce when I got home, bowl of ice cream, another milkshake, and mashed potatoes for dinner. Today I've had an egg & cheese biscuit (with the crunchy part of the biscuit taken off), more mac/chz, mashed potatoes, carnation instant breakfast, a milkshake, chicken noodle soup, & applesauce. I think I'm trying to eat whatever I can before the scabs start coming off (DH swears I have the munchies from the meds ). My biggest thing is I've been drinking sweet tea nonstop. I had over 100 mls yesterday & today so far. Never thought I could drink so much, but I can definitely tell when I haven't had a sip in a while! Also, I try to chew at least 1 piece of gum an hour.

"Side Note, I think i'm coming down with a cold...got a naggin cough coming on now...my doctor told me get some old school sucrets...wow, I didn't know they still made those."

I hope you are not coming down with a cold, that would suck. Have you been coughing the whole time or is it sudden? It could be due to being intubated if you've had it the whole time, that's not uncommon. If it is sudden, it could be due to your throat being too dry. The sucrets would help suppress the cough AND moisten your throat.

We will make it through this. I know it is going to get worse, I just wish it would go ahead & come on so I can get it over with!!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #79
    shoreswanabe
    (female)

shoreswanabe HB User

Hey guys I had my surgery a little over 2 weeks ago. I thought I was coming down with something because of that cough & all the mucus. My Dr said it was from the anestetic <sp>. He told me that if I could swallow it I could take Musinex<sp>. However you guys seem to have more medicine than I had so I would check with your Dr. I only was given the generic loritab. By the way if you take a shot of apple juice & a shot of the loritab at the same time it cuts the taste & helps with the burning. I hated the taste & the burning of that nasty stuff. I could not eat unless it was right after taking the medicine & I could only swallow a couple of bites. Some of the things I was eating were mashed potoes & gravy, applesauce & maple & brownsugar oatmeal. It took me forever to be able to eat any food with substance & I could not eat anything really sweet or creamy it just burned my throat. I had my first cheeseburger & fries yesterday. It was heaven. Try putting a bag of ice on your throat it helps quite a bit & will help with the swelling.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #80
    atlguy1911
    (male)

atlguy1911 HB User

Day #4 after the surgery....been able to hold my own so far...you guys would have been proud of me...last night I had a late night snack, a baked chicken leg!!! Progress huh?

Been trying to chug-a-lug water been having a terrible time with it...maybe it the reason why my temp keep going up and down.

Mom's made me some chicken and dumplings today as the soft dinner meal...and it was delicious! Nice change of pace. I think the scabs are starting to fall off because I feel some strange substance in my mouth (back of my mouth)....

Old 09-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #81
    atlguy1911
    (male)

atlguy1911 HB User

Day #4 after the surgery....been able to hold my own so far...you guys would have been proud of me...last night I had a late night snack, a baked chicken leg!!! Progress huh?

Been trying to chug-a-lug water been having a terrible time with it...maybe it the reason why my temp keep going up and down.

Mom's made me some chicken and dumplings today as the soft dinner meal...and it was delicious! Nice change of pace. I think the scabs are starting to fall off because I feel some strange substance in my mouth (back of my mouth)....

Old 09-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #82
    HRWade
    (female)

HRWade HB User

Hey atlguy,

I'm glad to hear you are making progress. I feel like I've hit a brick wall today. The pain is worse & I haven't been able to eat as much today. I woke up last night @ 2:30 & was up the rest of the night. Something is giving me heartburn from H***, I think it may be the lortab, so I can't lie down to sleep. Dozed off this afternoon & missed a dose of medicine. When I woke up, I thought I was dying--couldn't open my mouth very wide, pain was VERY intense, it was a struggle to get the meds in....I will be setting my alarm from now on for med time.

I feel the same ickiness back there & keep swallowing some weird stuff.

Keep me updated...

Old 09-28-2006, 08:07 PM   #83
    atlguy1911
    (male)

atlguy1911 HB User

Hey guys...I have a questions to when it comes to bathing and showering....during this time of recovery I was told NOT TO TAKE LONG HOT SHOWERS....what have been your experiences?

Old 09-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #84
    HRWade
    (female)

HRWade HB User

Atlguy,

You mean we are supposed to bathe?! Feel too bad for that...seriously, I've done fine in the shower, no shaving the legs, though. I don't want to lean my head over to do it & feel like the few marbles I have left will fall out

I wouldn't take too hot of a shower, the combination of the hot steam & the meds cause some people to pass out.

Have some of your scabs started to come off yet? Little chunks have been coming out when I gargle. I've been gargling with tap water and brushing my teeth about every 2 hours, I can't stand the sweet, nasty taste in my mouth, yuck.

When will this be over?!!

~Heather

Old 09-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #85
    DavidPH
    (male)

DavidPH HB User

Heather

know what you mean, coming up for day 6 and still just wishing the days past, if only i could sleep through it.

Reminds of when Ruby Wax said she wanted a jewish pain killer approach to birth, when asked what it was she said, knock me out at teh first sign of pain and wake me up when you are doing my hair. If only i coudl laugh!

oh i could just wish these days away. I am having multiple baths a day as i find it eases my throat, that and ice packs.

The pain really ramped up for me day 4 and 5. not loooking forward to tommorow. Not seeing teh scabs but when pain was bad have seen VERY pink spots whicyh i assume is the raw flesh afterwards

Dave

Old 09-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #86
    atlguy1911
    (male)

atlguy1911 HB User

are you any of you guys on yahoo instant messanger? I would like to have a real time conversation via chatting....

Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #87
    DavidPH
    (male)

DavidPH HB User

how are you two are doing?

Old 10-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #88
    atlguy1911
    (male)

atlguy1911 HB User

Okay guys, Day #9 and I'm feeling better and eating better. However, the only thing I can really eat is Ramen Noodles and warm Ginger Ale.

However, it seem my throat don't like anything cold these days. I still get those sharp pains as I swallow. However, I had a big set back yesterday when I decided to goto this all you can eat place and couldn't eat anything because once I got my mouth around the mash potatoes it because soooo sore I couldn't eat anything else but the soft serve sherbert ice cream. Strangely enough I was able to eat the Ramen noodles later ther evening. My doctor told me to start washing my mouth out with warm water and salt to aid in the healing. Of course I haven't tried that yet....because of the fear of the burning sensation.

Tonight, i'm thinking about making some tuna salad for me to eat...hmmm some good and healthly in the same breath.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #89
    DavidPH
    (male)

DavidPH HB User

Hi ATLguy

know what you mean, al my cravings are for the basic stuff like pasta, raw vegateables, fruit juices.

I had roasted chicken tonight, really moist, and it was like caviar. After so many rice puddings, miso soups, eggs, and all teh desert types it was pure bliss

day 10 coming up hoping soon i will hit that point I can start thinking about some of these things to eat again.

Dave

Old 10-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #90
    atlguy1911
    (male)

atlguy1911 HB User

Has anyone tried crystal lite? I had some it's burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bad!
    Orange-Pineapple flavor...

Closed Thread