It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• feels like something stuck in throat! help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
    MA_mom
    (female)

MA_mom HB User
    Angry feels like something stuck in throat! help!!

About 3 days ago I started getting the feeling of something stuck in the back of my throat. I really thought it was a hair ... maybe from my dog or cats but I'm seriously doubting that now. If anyone has ever had a hair on their mouth.. it's a similar feeling but in the throat too far down to see or reach.
    If tried taking huge bites of food to scrape it off...and drinking and gargling but nothing helps.
    Swallowing doesn't hurt at all... but it's starting to make me gag. I've tried coughing it up but that only makes me gag and yesturday after supper it actually made me vomit.
    There seems to be extra mucus down there.. but it's clear.
    This is a HUGE pain in the butt and it's really interfering with my daily activities.
    Now i know how a cat with a hairball feels.
    Has anyone had this problem before??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
    jonnyelworthy
    (male)

jonnyelworthy HB User
    Re: feels like something stuck in throat! help!!

Sounds like something I get whenever I eat something like apples or pears.

I get a sticky feeling right below the bottom of my throat and is horrible.

Seems similar to what you are having, not nice at all

Hope you get it sorted!

Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

aswaer HB Useraswaer HB User
    Re: feels like something stuck in throat! help!!

Feeling of a "lump in the throat" or "somthing stuck in the throat" is the major symptom of a form of acid reflux called laryngopharyngeal reflux. Instead of refluxing low in the esophogous and getting heartburn, it is believed that the individual refluxes less, but the reflux goes higher into the pharyx/larynx area which is extremely sensitive to acid.

This form of reflux, which is abbrieviated as "LPR" is treated with the same drugs used for heartburn, but a larger dose is requried. You need 2 doses a day of a maximum strength PPI (proton-pump inhibitor). Common brands are Nexium, Aciphex, Prevacid and Prilosec.

Other symptoms may include chronic cough, sinusistis-like symptoms and asthma-like symptoms. But it is usually starts with the sensation of something being stuck in the throat. Without treatment, the condition does not improve. On medications, the lump sensation will usually go away, but medication is needed indefinately.

Please visit the acid reflux message board - 90% of the people there have this symptom.

Closed Thread