It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
    elvis77

elvis77 HB User
    Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Is this the right place to be posting this or is it considered an inner ear disorder?

Does anyone else have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?
    I have had it for almost 5 months now, it sucks...lol

I got tube put in my ears but didn't help, I've been taking Nasonex and salt water everyday now for a while and doesn't seem to be helping.

Also started to try Acupunture and Chinese medicine, 2 weeks now and no change.

Any one have any other suggestions I can waist my $$$ on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 04:21 AM   #2
    sanufi
    (male)

sanufi HB User
    Re: Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Hi,

I think I have ETD from chronic sinus/allergy trouble. I have had it for close to 8 months. I am also on Nasonex. Are you congested in your nasal area? My ears feel full and sometimes ring. Do you have allergies? You can give allergy desensitisation a go if you do.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
    rkgrund
    (female)

rkgrund HB User

Have you looked into Patulous Eustachian Tube? I have that and it has been called ETD, as well.

The tube insertion, Nasal sprays, and anti-histaminnes won't help because your eustachian might ALREADY be open and needs to be closed. Can you hear yourself breath sometimes?

Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
    elvis77

elvis77 HB User

Thanks for the responses.
    I have allergys, not usually that bad though, I'm alergic to polen and grasses.
    Yes my ears feel plugged sometimes, I also feel constant draining in my throat.
    My ENT stuck a tube with a light way back in my nose and said it was very red back there and allergys are the cause of it. My ENT says that he hopes things get better by 1st frost.

I will look into Patulous Eustachian Tube, is there any cure or is the cure... TIME?

Thanks for the responses.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
    elvis77

elvis77 HB User

Have you ever looked into this?
    One person has had laser acupuncture in NY and then took the nasal drop trial in Santa Barbara (the nasal drop is supposed to irritate the tissue and make it swell up thus forcing the tube to close) - the treatment has worked for her but out of 10 people I talked to, the nose drop has only given 3 people relief so there is no guarantee there). Another person has had catheters inserted into both her e-tubes and this has given her relief (a doctor in LA performs this expensive procedure).

The Following User Says Thank You to elvis77 For This Useful Post:
    Jenmomof2 (04-08-2012)
    Old 08-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
    HairyDog
    (male)

HairyDog HB User

Its about time I found this board! I am yet to meet a person face to face with the ETD. I have had it for 3 years now and I have tried everything I can think of. The ENT surgeon said to "live with it" because it is "self-limiting" and surgery could indeed make it worse. My tubes seem to be functioning slightly, just very swollen.

There is persistent crackling and a crusty feeling - like hardened plaque stuck up there - the lumps I have been able to caugh up (on rare occasions) have an unbearable ordor. The ENT found no evidence of this with his camera.

I don't sleep as well as I used to.

When it rains the middle-ear space feels very inflammed and I am very irritable.

Milk based foods are avoided because they create excessive conjestion - catarr and inflammation. And now chocolate gives complete insomnia. So I tried gluten and wheat free diets but they made no difference.

I wasted a lot of money on chinese herbs, acupuncture and ear candling.

Steroid nasal sprays and decongestants don't help.

Steam inhalation and snorting salt water is the only effective treatment - when really bad. Otherwise just no different.

I trust my dentist and he studied the x-rays thorougly, before ruling it out as being related to anything going on in that area. You see, it started in my right ear a few weeks after I had an upper right widom tooth extracted. The dentist says its a coincidence. My word against his?

I am waiting for allergy testing next on the NHS. I know that the middle-ear space once infected is prone to all allergies.

I am also considering consulting a chiropractor. What do you think?

Thanks for reading. I hope someone can advise.

Last edited by HairyDog; 08-22-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

"Chiropractors?"
    I have had some of my physicians recommend chiropractors for temporary sinus relief, but they said it would need to be a continuing periodic treatment. I have not heard anything with regards to ETD. But if it relieves congestion in the sinuses, it makes since that it could relieve congestion of the ET by allowing for an open drainage conduit. I have never been diagnosed with ETD, but I can relate to many of your complaints. My sinuses and tonsils have always given me more problems, so I let the other pain/irritations slide.
    "Allergies:"
    You don't necessary have to have an excessive allergy to one thing for it to be a problem. I have a hyperactive immune system and am allergic to everything that does not have fur, and a few major food groups. I have complete a full cycle of allergy shots and now have allergies with 1-3 intensities on a scale of 0-5. As a result the allergist prefers not to give me another round of allergy shots, because antihistamines should be able to manage my problems now. However, when all my allergy triggers are popping out pollen, my system kicks into over drive and everything from the lungs up hurts and aches. When this occurs any trigger be it food, pollen, mold, dust/dust mites can cause my lymph nodes to go into over drive and pinch/close my ET. When the allergic environmental triggers reduce the ET pressure does as well. I don't wish allergies on anyone, but they are treatable with minor lifestyle changes, shots, and medications.
    Good luck to all. Keep us posted on what you learn.
    Respectfully,
    MG

Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
    laurie16637
    Inactive
    (female)

laurie16637 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkgrund
    Have you looked into Patulous Eustachian Tube? I have that and it has been called ETD, as well.

The tube insertion, Nasal sprays, and anti-histaminnes won't help because your eustachian might ALREADY be open and needs to be closed. Can you hear yourself breath sometimes?
    I HAVE THE SAME TROUBLE AND I CAN ALSO HEAR MYSELF BREATH WHAT DOES THAT MEAN ALSO MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH AND ANXIETY OUT THE BUTT

Old 08-25-2006, 08:10 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

laurie16637,
    I believe that if you are determined to have the Patulous Eustachian Tube condition by an ENT, that it requires surgery to correct. Check with your ENT and ask him to see if you have the PET condition and what treatment would be necessary. If you are not confident in your ENT then get a second opinion from another ENT. Try not to worry this can add to your stress levels and make what you are going through worse. Take a deep breath and relax, there is an answer... sometimes we just have to go around the block to get to it.
    Wishing you the best.
    Sincerely, MG

Old 08-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
    laurie16637
    Inactive
    (female)

laurie16637 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkgrund

HI MY DR TOLD ME I HAVE ETD AND IT IS DRIVING ME MAD FEELS LIKE IT WANT TO OPEN SO BAD BUT WONT ANY IDEA HOW TO CLEAR MY EAR

The Following User Says Thank You to laurie16637 For This Useful Post:
    Jenmomof2 (04-08-2012)
    Old 08-27-2006, 12:46 AM   #11
    missbbpepper
    (female)

missbbpepper HB User

about a month ago i was told i have ETD - and was put on Flonaze (sp?) and its not helping.. what should i do now.

Closed Thread