It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Pulse in neck driving me crasy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
    Michaelros
    Inactive
    (male)

Michaelros HB User
    Pulse in neck driving me crasy

Recently we moved from an area that was at sea level to an area over 8000 ft.We have been here for about 6 months and off and on I heard my pulse in my ears but it would go away for most part..In the last month I have heard it almost everyday starting with early in the morning..Sometimes its light other times pretty loud..It seems to go away for a moment if I put my head down to my chest.I also don't seem to hear it too much If im laying down or outside...Its very quiet here and I wonder if I have always had it and just now starting to hear it? I put my fingers in my ears and don't hear it but the sound seems to be coming from the middle of my neck.I don't really get headaches to speak of ..no dizziness..no real pain in my neck and feel ok.My pulse is almost perfect most of the time and my bp is good ...I just can't figure out why I have it everyday.I am prone to ear infections and sinus problems and my I have had to have several teeth removed over the years that makes the jaw aliegnment problem seem to be the answer,but I feel most of time if it was really anything that there would be other symptoms present..In the evenings when the sun goes down it gets about 65 and the wind blows I get really tired and cold..I am not sure that is anything but if anyone knows for sure what this could be please let me know.? I keep thinking..its nothing and it will go away one day but it hasn't ...i have been to the doctor and he gives me regular check ups but it wasn't doing that at the time and the doctor said that everything looked good..so wonder what is going on? Could it be that the new altitude and quietness make me more aware of something that is nothing? I would say its an ear infection but when I close my ears I don't hear it.It seems to radiate frim the middle of the back of my neck...I have read many many people have this and don't know what it is...But I am getting a little worried and don't want to go right back to the doctor if i don't need to ..I am anxious enough...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2006, 05:04 AM   #2
    Michaelros
    Inactive
    (male)

Michaelros HB User
    Is this fatal :pulsatile tinnitus???????????

I have tried and tried to research what I might have and what could be causing it.I have posted the thread "pulse in my neck is driving me crazy" and no one has answered me..Frankly it gives me the creeps trying to get someone to tell me ,maybe its really nothing and I have this and have lived with it for years.I explained in my post that we just recently moved to a location 8000 ft above where we used to live and I am proned to ear infections and sinus problems.I have perfect pulse and BP...and was just at doctors office not long ago and he said everything looked good.This sensation of pulse beating in my neck has been recent and its a little unsettling..The only thing that I can find that remotely sounds like what I may have is pulsatile tinnitus.Some people say they have had every test known to man and nothing ..others say their doctors say they have anxiety and others say they have an artery blockage.Its kind of a flip of the coin but my question is that if I do in fact have this PT..Is it fatal if I dont run not walk to my doctors office? and could it be just a factor that we are in a higher location and much more quiet than im use to and maybe just maybe its some sort of just mundane ear problem?Please help...Im getting really depressed and anxious and I have been anxious free for so many years....

Old 08-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Is this fatal :pulsatile tinnitus???????????

Michaelros,

You seem truely worried. I can not advise you on PT, but I can tell you to call around and ask for a recommendation to the best ENT in the area. Then go and have yourself evaluated. Increased elevation and the resulting pressure changes can cause ear and sinus issues. Sinus and ear infections are unpleasant and the ENT may be able to help with that.
    Good luck and Best wishes.
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 08-30-2006 at 08:14 AM.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
    dasw

dasw HB User
    Re: Pulse in neck driving me crasy

Hi Michaelros,
    A common reason for hearing a pulse in your ear can be ear wax. Did your doctor also listen to your carotid arteries in the neck for a bruit?

Last edited by moderator2; 09-03-2006 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting rules section titled "How to share information".

Old 08-31-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
    Michaelros
    Inactive
    (male)

Michaelros HB User
    Re: Pulse in neck driving me crasy

Thank you so much for the referal .I guess i will have to break down and go to the doctor again as though im not anxious enough.I just hope its nothing terminal and easy to take care of..Once again I appreciate your reply and yes it could be ear wax buildup.I wish I could be as lucky... Keep your fingers crossed for me..Thanks again

Old 08-31-2006, 04:10 AM   #6
    Michaelros
    Inactive
    (male)

Michaelros HB User

Thank you for your post.I will try to find a good ent and hope for the best.Thanks for your answer..at least I have something positive to think instead of morbid..Michael

Old 08-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Michaelros,
    Morbid... Nah!
    Try having 9 + sinus infections a year with bonus infections like ears/bronchitus when you stubbornly ignore them. My ENT is final going to yank my tonsils & adnoids and insert sinus windows so my sinuses wil actually drain... I had been dreaming of a drill for christmas/birthday to alleviate my own sinus pressure pain and headaches. Note I said "dreaming" , but now a professional will do it for me. I can not wait for the insurance approval to go through . I hope your trip to the ENT is as satisfying as mine.
    Respectfully yours,
    MG

Closed Thread