It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Ancient Mastoiditis/hypoplasia deformity and mass

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
    peipaws
    (female)

peipaws HB User
    Ancient Mastoiditis/hypoplasia deformity and mass

This is a long drawn out process but I will make it short not to bore anyone. My husband recently had a mri with and without IV contrast and a ct scan. The impressions on both indicate a mass and that basicly his face bones are mush or deformed and that mass-like change within the middle turbinate on the left. He did have surgery about 16yrs ago to fix his broken nose.

When I called the best hospital in the area's ENT dept and said I needed to make a appt and read of the impressions of his mri scan's they made room for Tues. It normally takes MONTHS to be seen not days. I asked the nurse if this is saying they found a tumor and are suspecting sinus cancer and she said yes. The dr would have to determin what is going on though but that what it seems to be saying. His ct report wasn't ready but I called the facility who did the scans and told them I needed the copies to take to his appt for Tues. When I went a couple hrs later to get the ct report everything was ready. When I turned to walk out the lady said "good luck."

In short the impressions read:

chronic mastoid changes within the left mastoid sinus, asymmetry of the maxillary sinuses and a questionable mass-like change within the middle turbinate on the left....., changes in the left maxillary medial wall, questionable enlargement of the left nasal turbinate, and hypoplasia and deformity of the left maxillary antrum compared to the right and questionable enlargement of the left nasal turbinate.

When I do a internet search it does take me to sinus cancer sites. Just wondering if its still possible that this is just a MAJOR sinus infection even thought he doesn't have symptoms of one.

Last edited by peipaws; 08-19-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Ancient Mastoiditis/hypoplasia deformity and mass

peipaws,
    It never hurts to have hope. I consider the art of medicine, just that an art form requiring a lot of detailed experimentation. It is rarely ever that a doctor knows exactly what is wrong without doing tests. The art of medicine works by process of elimination. They can not rule out sinus cancer from just the CT. Thus now a set series of steps will be taken to rule or confirm this state, physical examination, biopsy, MRI. On the upside it could just be a very large benign cyst. Both my husband and sister-in-law had that... the cysts were removed and they breathe much easier now.
    Best wishes and prayers. Sincerely, MG

Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
    peipaws
    (female)

peipaws HB User
    Re: Ancient Mastoiditis/hypoplasia deformity and mass

Thank you for your response.

They ended up canceling the appt he had at the last minute because they wanted him to see the otolaryngologists that specializes in chronic sinus disease and management of tumors and cancers of the nasal cavities and skull-base. He had another MRI done at his hospital so now were just waiting on the dr to call with the appt.

He does have mastoiditis in his left maxillary sinus and left temporal bone according to all the mri's and ct scans. Still holding out hope that this is just a bad sinus infection.

He had a appt with a neurologist last week and she pointed out the mass on the mri. It was massive. His face looks so distorted on it but to look at him you cant tell.

Does anyone have any experience with mastoiditis with temporal bone involvement?

Thanks
    Vicky

Closed Thread