It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• 8 days Post-Tonsillectomy...MISERABLE! Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
    Rachamar
    (female)

Rachamar HB User
    Question 8 days Post-Tonsillectomy...MISERABLE! Help!

First of all I want to say thank you to all of you for posting on this board. I read many of your posts pre-op and they have all been extremely helpful in preparing me for this procedure. I am an adult female, 35, and am in day 8 post-op. The last couple of days have been pretty good, then I woke up this morning nauseous, achy and completely miserable. My throat is hurting but not necessarily any worse than it has since the beginning. At this point it is the nausea and general discomfort that are making me crazy. My scabs have not started to come off yet, so I don't think that is the cause behind my nausea. I'm hoping that someone out there can shed some light on this and give me some hope that it will get better soon. Also, shouldn't I be losing my scabs at this point? They are still hanging on and don't appear to be falling off anytime soon. Any suggestions anyone can provide on easing the nausea and possibly knowing what could be causing it? I have only taken 1 pain dose (Hydrocodone) today and don't think that could be causing the nausea bc I took it with food. HELP!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: 8 days Post-Tonsillectomy...MISERABLE! Help!

Rachamar,
    "Also, shouldn't I be losing my scabs at this point? They are still hanging on and don't appear to be falling off anytime soon."
    The scabs begin to fall off any time between days 5 - 10. Yours are just late at falling off. My sons began to fall off on day 7 and were done by day 10. It was essential during this period to drink a few sips of water every 10 - 20 minutes while awake and set an alarm to wake up during the night and take medicine and drink water. If the scabs dried out the ear and throat pain intensified. To help with the ear pain there are lydocaine based ear drops, octicaine (sp). You need to ask your doctor for a prescription.
    Any suggestions anyone can provide on easing the nausea and possibly knowing what could be causing it? I have only taken 1 pain dose (Hydrocodone) today and don't think that could be causing the nausea bc I took it with food. HELP!!!
    A side effect of codine medications is nausea. Your doctor can provide an anti-nausea medication... Another source of nausea, may be increased drainage. This can be aided by sinus irrigation with a mild nasal saline spray, used regularly, and increasing your water intact to thin the mucus in your stomach.
    Best Wishes.
    Good luck.
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-05-2006 at 07:24 AM.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
    lisa10s
    (female)

lisa10s HB User
    Re: 8 days Post-Tonsillectomy...MISERABLE! Help!

Hi Rachamar,

This is my first night on this site. I had a tonsillectomy last december. It was horrible. I was given lortab elixer (call and ask your doctor for it) it tastes really bad but it is liquid and it makes you comfortable. I had trouble til about the 3rd week. I hope you get better much faster than me. I was not even eating solid food til about 14days and almost got re admitted several times. I was in pain forever it seemed. Get some popcycles (not red) helps with the numbing. Scabs fall off when there were ready,I was at two weeks. Then I got thrush and that was really fun. I thank my doctor for giving me the loratab elixer, I wouldn't have been able to get anything down me. Hang in there, it does eventually get better. I am doing great and I don't missed them. I haven't even had a cold since. Too bad they didn't take them out when I was a kid.

Good Luck!

Lisa

Last edited by lisa10s; 09-04-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Closed Thread