It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• two year old getting tonsils and adenoids taken out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
    youngmom_2
    (female)

youngmom_2 HB User
    two year old getting tonsils and adenoids taken out

My son will be three in december and has had strep throat 6 times. He is a very sickly little boy and our doctor wants us to make an appointment with the ENT clinic to have his tonsils and adenoids taken out already. I'm worried. He already had ear tubes put in and I don't know what to expect this time around. Can anyone help me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: two year old getting tonsils and adenoids taken out

Have them out...please. I could slap my parents for not and then me having to do it at 26. Awful! He'll be fine...children that young don't even know it happened. And you'll be glad you did it.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

youngmom_2,

Here is what you can expect. My son had ear tubes inserted and his adnoids out at 18 months and at 3 and a half had his tonsils removed.

The ear tubes and adnoid removal did not phase him one bit. He didn't slow down his eating nor want to slow down his activity. The roughest part was his waking from anesthsia. He woke screaming and crying and it took forever to calm him down. The day of surgery he slept alot, but by the next day as long as the tylenol was given routinely, no adverse effectes were noted.

The tonsillectomy was a little different. My son came out of anesthesia just fine... no screaming or crying. He consumed as many popcicles as he could get the nurse to bring him. The night he ate a lot of apple sauce and peanut butter crackers. His diet didn't change except for avoiding acidic things... juice, and ketchup.... seemed to burn. It wasn't until day 5 that things began to plummet. Food and water intake decreased as the scabs began to get ready to peel off. On days 7-10 the scabs began to peel off... and it was rough. The saving grace on days 5-10 was lack of sleep. We had to set alarm clocks and make sure to give my son pain medication on the dot... in addition to tylenol and motrin, we were given lydocaine based ear drops and anitbiotics. The anti-biotics are a must, do not let the doctor not give you one. The ear drops "Oticaine" were like liquid gold; they allowed him to eat and behave normally by alleviating the ear pain in 3 hour bursts. After day ten all was well again, sleeping through the night, resting alot, no more fever, and wanting to go, go, go.

And the best is...no more infections, we have been infection free and in great health for 4.5 months.

1) Remember keep your child drinking... we made sure he had at least 2 fluid ounces every 15 minutes, as much jello.. apple sauce, and gatoraide as he would stomach, all the popice he would take... non-red varieties.

2) Smoothies were a godsend during the descabbing process... I supplemented the smoothies with protien powder to keep his strenghth up.

3) Keep up the pain medications and ear drops... don't let it lapse.

4) Keep your child calm, stockpile videos and diversions.

5) You may have to sleep with your child in your arms a few nights to keep him at an incline and ease the breathing process.

6) Keep in mind that it will get better and all will be great... just count 14 days and then you will not be able to him down.

Best Wishes,
    MG

PS I am due to have my adnoids, and tonsils yanked at age 31... I wish i had had mine out when I was younger... just like Titchou.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

MG: Good luck to you! It's rough but you'll be so glad you did it. I spent half my childhood in the hospital with various upper respiratory issues. Strep throat was a given on any vacation trip that changed climates. But my mother just wouldn't give in. Pneumonia twice - nope, not taking them out.
    Had them out at 26 - I'm now 60. Haven't had strep at all, no ear infections, one case of the flu, and 2 sinus infections since I had them out. It was worth it! Let us know how you do.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:20 PM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Titchou,

Thanks for the well wishes, I am truely looking forward to it. I am tired of being sick. I have chronic sinusitus... which means I am on anti-biotics 9 months of the year... with bonus infections like bronchittus and ear infections. Finally on my own insurance I managed to find a great group of ENT's that Believe I need this surgery so I won't stay sick. In addition to the T&A, I am having endoscopic sinus window insertion in all of my sinuses... know anything about the recovery of such a procedure? I am a little worried it is going to make T&A recovery difficult.

I hope that my son does not need the sinus window insertion as well, but our ENT is great... specializes in children, but works with adults as well. My son's sinus CT's are like a carbon copy of mine. He is almost 4 and still growing... I hope that I have put him through all the surgeries he needs. I hate making him hurt to make it better. At least he was old enough to understand that his tonsils were broken and needed to be fixed... it pulls at your heart strings something fierce when your baby looks into your eyes and says "Mommy make it stop hurting," Well it has and he doesn't even remember the pain or incident anymore... I hope I can do the same... yeah right .

Thanks once again. I am going to post my own method and experimentation on T&A recovery once the grand event occurs.

Respectfully Yours,
    MG

Old 09-26-2006, 02:11 AM   #6
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

youngmom..........I agree with the others. Go ahead and do it. My daughter was not quite 2-1/2 years old when she had hers out and had tubes put in. She too had numerous ear infections as well as strep throat. She is now 12 years old and has hardly been sick since then. My son also had his out earlier this year at 7 years old. My son handled it worse than my daughter did. My daughter recovered very well. She had a few days of discomfort, but all in all, she did really well.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
    youngmom_2
    (female)

youngmom_2 HB User

Everyone has really put my mind at ease. We go to see the ENT clinic at a children's hospital on Oct. 30th and they will decide then what they are going to do but I think I will push to have them taken out. Thanks for all the input. I will post again to tell everyone what is happening.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
    youngmom_2
    (female)

youngmom_2 HB User

Everyone has really put my mind at ease. We go to see the ENT clinic at a children's hospital on Oct. 30th and they will decide then what they are going to do but I think I will push to have them taken out. Thanks for all the input. I will post again to tell everyone what is happening.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #9
    Matidesign
    (female)

Matidesign HB User

When my son was 2 he had alot of health issues. Doctors couldn't find out the problem. This was 20 years ago. I took him to a naturopath and discovered he had food allergies. Especially to cows milk. With a few changes to his diet he was right as rain. Than when he was 12 he was diagnosed with borderline ADD. I refused to put him on a harsh drug so my naturopath again gave him something natural. WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS. He again was doing great and still is to this day. He is in second year of university and doing great.
    My point is that doctors don't always know everything and they are trained to give medication and do surgeries. God gave us our organs for a reason and when they are taken out the rest of the body has to work overtime and overcompensate for them being gone. Before you ever decide to put your child (or yourself) through an invasive surgery be sure you have checked out all of your options. See a licensed reputable homeopath or naturopath. It could be that the child has a bad allergy to dairy products and is constantly backed up with mucus which infection loves to harbour in. If this is the case the surgery will not get rid of the problem only the symptom and than you could have other issues develop. At least you will feel good about knowing you have checked out all possibilities for your child. Inform yourself, you owe it to your child. I wish you and your child well and I will be praying for you.
    Mati

Old 10-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
    mitley
    (male)

mitley HB User

Have them out...... I have to say at 36, with 15 sets of tubes in (and still going) I am pretty normal.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #11
    allergycentral
    (female)

allergycentral HB User

Young mom.....has your child had the procedure yet? If so, how was his recovery? Mine's due next week and I am trying to get all the info I can. Thank you!

Closed Thread