It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Loss of taste after tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
    Lmnewman
    (female)

Lmnewman HB User
    Loss of taste after tonsillectomy

Hi All,

My husband googled this topic because I have been so distraught over my loss of taste after my recent tonsillectomy. It has only been two weeks, but I am not encouraged by what I have read on this site. I have all of the symptoms people described: dry mouth, bitter taste in the back of my throat, disinterest in food (have already dropped 10 punds), and loss of taste in general. I am devestated to learn that some people are still suffering from this after two years! Would someone please write back with a diiferent version of this story?! or a follow up on how things are now? Did anyone's taste eventually return? It's hard for me to imagine going through life without enjoying my food. Thanks in advance for any reassurance that you can give me....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
    Bracelet
    Inactive
    (female)

Bracelet HB User
    Re: Loss of taste after tonsillectomy

I had my tonsillectomy in mid-April this year. I can honestly say that the taste thing was what took the longest to return for me, but it DID return! It's only been 2 weeks for you, please don't be discouraged!

The thing is, when they do the surgery, they have to clamp your tongue down really hard to make sure it's not in the way when they are removing your tonsils. So there's a little bit of temporary damage to the taste buds in those areas which take some time to heal up. Your tongue will be the last thing to heal once you're already feeling better physically.

For me, I couldn't drink soda for a while because it just tasted like carbonated water. And when I tried to eat sweet things, I couldn't taste them. Milk chocolate tasted like nothing! But dark chocolate (because it's bitter) actually tasted normal. So, for me (and for most people I've found on this board) it was the sweet taste that was gone for a while.

And then very gradually, I started realizing that it was coming back. It was such a slow progress though, that I couldn't really tell when it came back fully. But I can tell you that my tonsillectomy was April 10th and my brother's college graduation party (where I ate some really delicious cake) was on May 28th and I could taste it pretty well. That's just over a month and a few weeks.

My ENT told me that the tongue takes time to get back to normal and all you can do is wait. I realize there were some people who posted here that they still haven't gotten their taste back after 2 years and I think they're the exception rather than the rule. I think it's more likely that it will come back within 2 months or so, but it will (like I said) be so gradual that you won't even notice when it returns, as what happened to me.

Give yourself some time, it's only been 2 weeks! This surgery quite literally one of the hardest things any adult has to go through if they do it. The recovery is more painful than anything you'll ever feel in your life and the residual symptoms (in terms of loss of taste and pain while sneezing or yawning) tend to stick around after a while. But that improves too, but it takes time.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Loss of taste after tonsillectomy

Bracelet is right on. Took about 2 months for my son's complete sense of taste to return, but it did. Hang in there. Not much to do but wait it out and try to maintain that weightloss. I know I will try my hardest. Now my son is fully recovered and post op 4.5 months it is soon to be my turn. I will make a note of how soon my sense of taste returns.

Sincerely, MG

Closed Thread