It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Post Nasal Drip Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
    oblivious3413
    (male)

oblivious3413 HB User
    Post Nasal Drip Surgery

I am 27 years old. Almost two years ago I started to have severe post nasal drip which results in extreme irritation and pain in my throat and upper respritory. It had all started after I got very sick with either a flu or some infection. Since then I have took almost every immune test twice, made my doctor test me for various kinds of diseases, nothing shows up, tried nexium for LPR, antibiotics, steriods, and every home remedy possible. I have also seen an allergy doctor who gave me a large skin test of allergens which did show up positive for some air allergens, no foods. I was taking singulair and claritin which did nothing, plus astilin spray, and nasonex which was very little to no help. I have started going to a ENT who says I have a pretty severe deviated septum with a left side mucous retention cyst. He has told me that I am at a point to either make a decision for surgery or just deal with it, although he says surgery is not a guarentee. I cant imagine spending the rest of my life like this, it has ruined many things, such as dropping out of my classes and struggling my job. I am ready to try anything. I have considered Immune shots but am not sure that it is an allergy considering that skin tests are not very accurate. Has any one had any benifet to post nasal drip after surgery? I am thankful to any responce.

Last edited by oblivious3413; 10-29-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
    hovan

hovan HB User
    Re: Post Nasal Drip Surgery

I wish I could help but I have the same problems. The pnd is most likely from lpr and I have started Nexium, I go to the ent again tomorrow and I hope I will get some answers. I had alergy testing an a ct scan for my sinuses last week and I am anxious to get the results. I can't believe pnd which cause a heavy mucus like this has taken over my whole life. I find myself going to work and coming home because I am afraid I will be too far away from the house when it gets really bad. I spend a lot of time researching these boards and I have found some good advise. Keep posting, maybe someone can help . I know it would help me....

Old 10-31-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Post Nasal Drip Surgery

This is a little off topic, because my husband has never been diagnosed with PND; however I believe we both have it. My husband does have gurd and did have a deviated septum and many sinus cysts/pollumps. He had surgery to correct the deviated septum and remove the cysts/pollumps. He takes Nexium for his gurd.

Well back on point, before surgery my husband could not blow his nose, nor get any benefit from nasal sprays, because it was to blocked up there to let anything in or out of his nose. As a result if anything was going to come out it had to come down the back of his throat. After sinus surgery, (3 yrs back) his sinus/ear/broncial infections are down 75% and he can now blow and irrigate his nose whenever needed. The surgery proved to offer minimal discomfort for him. He was back to work within 3-5 days. His job is seditary (computer oriented), however... I don't know if a labor intensive job would change the overall recovery process and time (logic tells me yes it would).

So my advice to you is if there is even a 50% chance that the surgery would give me relief I would do it... but then again I just had the sinuses in my head roto rootered, and my tonsils and adnoids yanked. I did pass on the UPPP because there was only a 30% chance of improvement while the T&A promised an 80% chance in improvement in sleep apnea and chronic sinusittus issues and 100% in removal of tonsil stones, and the full endoscopic sinus insertion and tissue removal was the last resort to stop the chronic 9 month out of the year sinus infection mess.

Hope this might be of some help.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread