It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• ENLARGED TONSILS/ADENOIDS: what can I do about

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
    Tucken
    Inactive
    (female)

Tucken HB User
    ENLARGED TONSILS/ADENOIDS: what can I do about

They want to remove our son's tonsils and adenoids because he has difficulty breathing at night. His tonsils get a response from every doctor who looks in his mouth. He has dust mites allergies that I have tried to control (covers, washing, Zyrtec, Singular, Nasacort). The doctors want him on Nasacort and I just don't like the steroid (he's gained some weight).

I feel that taking out his tonsils and adenoids would hurt his health (immune system) in the long run and don't want to put him through that, but I also don't like the sound I'm hearing from him most of the time. Any suggestions on what I can do to reduce their size?

Also, could someone share your experience with tonsils/adenoid removal and how it has maybe affected your health?

We did talk to the doctor about removing just the adenoids to see how things go, but he thinks that if we are going to do it that it is better to do all at once.

He has problems with his gut and I have been trying to get it straight, but he is 7 and it's not easy to get him to try the things an adult will do. He can take pills now so that does help.

He doesn't have a history of strep infections, only about 2 he whole life, but we just had to do two rounds of antibiotic to get rid of strep and 2 ear infections in him.

I'll appreaicate your responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
    Re: ENLARGED TONSILS/ADENOIDS: what can I do about

I was born without tonsils (as was my father). I always had (and still have) far fewer sore throats and infections than anyone I ever met. At least ones to do with the throat.

My brother as a youngster sounds a lot like your son...and after he had the tonsils and adenoids removed his health improved a great deal. He was no longer assaulted by constant throat infections and repeats of strep throat.

We are adults now, and he still rarely gets ill with upper respiratory and throat infections.

Just one family's experience, but I hope it helps.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
    Tucken
    Inactive
    (female)

Tucken HB User

Just wondering if your brother is overweight as an adult? I've heard that weight gain is a side effect of tonsil removal, and this is the case with me and three other people I know.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Nope, he's healthy and fit.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have them removed. My parents refused to remove mine when I was a child and I ended up having them out at 25...dreadful experience! Keeping them will just continue this infection cycle and get worse. I was hospitalized more times than I can count...ended up with allergies to most antibiotics due to taking so many...since I had them out 35 years ago I have had NO cases of strep, only 1 sinus infection, 1 case of the flu. And I was sick EVERY month before that. Have them out.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

My son 4 now four has had both his adnoids and then tonsils removed. First we had the adnoids removed... this took care of his chronic ear infections. However instead of the ear infections 6-9 times a year he began to develop sinus infections 6-9 times a year. We then had his extremely large tonsils removed.. because of the sinus infections.. occasional ear infections, snoring, and fitfull sleeping.

Since the tonsillectomy.. one infection mild, no weight gain other than normal growth weight, and more restful sleep. I would recommend it strongly. The quality of life for your child will improve greatly.. otherwise they may need to go through virtual hell as an adult versus easily managed pain with half the recovery time.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 12-12-2006, 03:40 AM   #7
    Tucken
    Inactive
    (female)

Tucken HB User
    ********: ENLARGED TONSILS/ADENOIDS: what can I do about

Did the snoring stop when just the adenoids were out? My son doesn't have a history of continuous problems with ear or strep just maybe four cases of each since birth. His problem is snoring and apnea.

I thought that removing the adenoids alone would stop the snoring and perserve his tonsil benefits.

We see a pulmonary doctor next week to talk about the hypoventilation that showed up in the sleep study.

Thanks for your posting.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Tuck,

Removal of the adnoids did not improve or help with my son's snoring or air flow issues. I am due to have my son evaluated for sleep apnea, because of his sleep habits and snoring. The removal of the tonsils has imporved his sleeping habits, and lessened his snoring greatly... now the snoring seems to be limited to aggrevation of our reactive airway disease or illness.

However, my son's and my ENT was able to compare my sinus and throat structure to my son's and we are carbon copies of each other. As a result he has additional airflow restrictions that predispose him to sleep apnea that may not bother your child. Due to my son's age and the fact that his sinuses and throat still have a lot of growing to do.. after a tonsillectomy no further surgery is recommended until after the age of 16. I am hoping that the tonsillectomy fixed his problem, but I fear he is still suffering from mild sleep apnea.. and I hope that if that is the case we can regulate it with his own CPAP.

I STRONGLY recommend removal of the tonsils, this will at least double the airflow for your child and will definitely aide in reducing your childs sleep apnea.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
    Tucken
    Inactive
    (female)

Tucken HB User

My son had mild to moderate sleep apnea in 2005, then we did another sleep study in 2006 after allergy meds and the apnea had resolved, but he now has hypoventilation. He still has problems breathing when he's had a cold, so I think the apnea is still a problem.

Question... the CPAP is something that I was thinking about asking next week, when we see the pediatric pulmonary doc about the sleep study, but didn't know if they used them on children. Was it hard to get him to wear it?

The importance of the tonsils/adenoids to health by catching germs entering the body is what makes me scared to remove the tonsils. I'm Type 1 diabetic and have always wondered if removing my tonsils kept my body from catching a "germ" the triggered the diabetes. I've read more than once that Type 1 diabetes usually follows an illness. It really scares me to think I may do something that could trigger this in my son. If I didn't have the Type 1, I wouldn't give it any thought.

I'm in VA, is your ENT in TN?

Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:14 AM   #10
    cjayfour
    (female)

cjayfour HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tuck
    The importance of the tonsils/adenoids to health by catching germs entering the body is what makes me scared to remove the tonsils. I'm Type 1 diabetic and have always wondered if removing my tonsils kept my body from catching a "germ" the triggered the diabetes. I've read more than once that Type 1 diabetes usually follows an illness. It really scares me to think I may do something that could trigger this in my son. If I didn't have the Type 1, I wouldn't give it any thought.
    Tuck,
    I'm 24 and about to get my tonsils out after years and years of chronic strep throat and hyponea because of the partial blockage of my airway. I just wanted to let you know that my parents and doctors had the same concerns about removing lymphoid tissue, however all the research show that once the gland hypertrophies and is chronicall infected (every doctor relies on their own defintions) the tissue doesn't act in anyway to help the immune system, and rather the inflammation is a hinderance.

Also Typle I Diabetes is largely determined by genes. The predisposition to Type I DM is needed in a person, and then they are infected with a strain of the Coxsackie virus. Once the person gets infected, their immune system developes antibodies to that strain of the virus, but that strain of Coxsackie looks like pancreas cells, so the antibodies destroy your pancreas. Therefore having you tonsils, or adnoids wouldn't prevent you very much from getting Diabetes because once that strain of virus gets in your immune system, you will create antibodies to it, whereever it is in your body, if you have the genetic disposition for it. Lymphoid tissue is a place for your body to fight infection, but whatever you kill off in the lymph nodes you develop antibodies to.

I just thought that info might help you as you make some tough decisions!

Closed Thread