It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• can earplugs damage my hearing??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
    enorelbot
    (female)

enorelbot HB User
    Unhappy can earplugs damage my hearing??

Just spent 2 weeks on holiday with my boyfriend, and oh jesus he snored every night. So I used earplugs. Just those cheap foamy ones. Every morning I'd wake up and my ears felt a little sore from them, but what could I do.

Today I put my mp3 player's earphones in after 2 weeks, and I swear everything sounds different. Just kinda dimmed and unclear. I'm sure it sounded different before. I have very good earphones and quite fine-tuned hearing, I'm absolutely sure something is different in the way it sounds.

So I just searched the web a little, but no website about ear plugs anywhere mentions any possible damage that could come from them.

So, is it at all POSSIBLE that the ear plugs did something to my ears or is it more likely to be something totally different?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Re: can earplugs damage my hearing??

There is no way you could have damaged your hearing using earplugs. They are designed to SAVE your hearing by blocking the loud decibels in various sounds (like concerts or jackhammer or whatever), and there's no reason to think wearing earplugs would damage your hearing.

If the earplugs were not clean, you may have caused a minor problem with buildup of wax or possibly bacteria by using the earplugs. That's why you should never re-use earplugs that are the disposable kind too many times. You should replace those with each use.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
    enorelbot
    (female)

enorelbot HB User

ah ok thanks. could be wax I suppose? I did reuse the spongy earplugs too...

anyway

thanks for the reply

Old 01-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
    schnooki-doodle
    (female)

schnooki-doodle HB User

Hi there, I have been using earplugs for over 10 yrs. I was a sufferer of sleep apnea (my husband's problem that is) and my hearing is fine. I just use the cheap foamy ones too. I was thinking the only thing is that when you put them in it could push wax back into your ear, which could make hearing a temporary problem. I have had some trouble with that over the last 10yrs,(wax in my ears with the earplugs) but I have also been told by docs that my ears were real clean on other occaisions(sp). I am a bad girl, I don't change the ear plugs very often at all. I am cheap!! My biggest problem with them were finding ones that deadened the sound good enough that didn't put "pressure pain" on the insides of my ears. The better the sound blocker the denser the foam and hence would hurt my ears more. Here is the BEST advice I can give you: Send your boyfriend in for sleep apnea testing/treatment, that is probably his problemo (not that this forum is a place to talk about that!) but my hubby is a NEW man since he got his taken care of. Incidently, I am SO used to ear plugs now I can't sleep without them even though snoring is no more!
    sweet dreams!
    schnooki-doodle

Old 01-04-2007, 02:59 AM   #5
    enorelbot
    (female)

enorelbot HB User

hey schnooki-doodle, thanks for your post, you've set my heart at ease now

and yeah i've mentioned sleep apnea to him, but he's a pretty passive guy, I do hope eventually he might give in and go see a doc about it. We'll see...

Old 01-05-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Oh man, do I know about the snoring!

That is my main reason now for constantly using ear plugs (again, the foam, which I 1st learned about at my old shipyard job where I found they were WONDERFUL for all reasons). That and sometimes my allergic dog irritates me by doing alot of scratching (she almost never leaves our small room, either).

Unfortunately, it's not perfect for snoring, but it gets me through the "gentler" snores. They need to develop super-snore plugs!

This means I've been wearing them extremely frequently for 1-1/2 years, and my ears are no worse than they were before marriage (before that, I always had them handy for bad dog days, or vacations where who knows what you'll encounter, or when I'm just too sensitive). I've had some problems with my ears but they are not plug-related, even though it's about as far back as when I found out about the foamies. My fundamental hearing is still superb and "dangerous" as my relatives would say!

I do think you'd have to be careful about not letting your ears drain, or "air out". However, if you consider that the plugs are 1/3 of your day, even if it's over years, it can't be that bad!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
    enorelbot
    (female)

enorelbot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ol'Line Rebel
    Oh man, do I know about the snoring!
    I do think you'd have to be careful about not letting your ears drain, or "air out". However, if you consider that the plugs are 1/3 of your day, even if it's over years, it can't be that bad!
    You're probably right, since I've made this post my ears have returned to normal again! phew!
    Man I do panic over nothing sometimes!

Closed Thread