It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Strep Throat??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
    Riddler14
    (male)

Riddler14 HB User
    Strep Throat??

Well about 7 days ago to be exact I had woken up to a flemy sore throat..I've had a few throat problems in the past few months infection in Augest, November, and now. The previous 2 seemed more severe painwise.

This time I went early to the outpatients in the early morning before it got really aggrevating. The doctor basically took my temperature which was 37 degrees and then prescribed me amoxicillin. Never said what it was but, gave me the antibiotic.

I read about the antibiotic and it seems to be used to treat strep and prevent it from spreading but it doesn't say anything about wiping it out.

My throat is very fine now. Seems 100% but, when I look at my tonsils..mainly the right one it has 2 sores well they look like it...here's a description of what they look like:

An outer ring which looks white so infected...and almost like it's missing some tiny skin that should be there but isn't from the infection I'm guessing. Also my throat isn't really red. It is a bit red, but not bad at all. The only real sign of infection is those 2 sore like spots.

I've been on these antibiotic's for 6/7 days now and I did something I probably shouldn't of..

Saturday night I decided that I'd skip 2 doses so I could go out and have some drinks. I dont think this was a good idea...Im back on track and will finish them by wenesday afternoon.

Soo all in all here's my questions:
    1. Does this seem like strep throat?
    2. Is it normal in my case for those sore-like spots on my tonsils while on the antibiotic
    3.Are the antibiotics going to work now that I delayed 2 doses to have a few drinks?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Strep Throat??

Anti-biotics are trickey.. each is different. Depending on their chemistry they may linger in the blood stream for 2-5 days after completion. I am not sure about the rentention phase of the 'cillan family; but I think it is 2-3 days, the 'mycins linger for five days.

Spots on the tonsils and throat are one of the symptoms of strep throat. But there are other phenomena that can cause similar white patchiness. Don't skip any more doses, the more times you let off the anti-biotics the more chances the bacteria has to regrow and become resistant to the 'cillan family.

Next call the nurse or doctors office and pass on your concerns. They should be able to confirm or denigh your suspicions.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread