It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Uvulaectomy and Aednoidectomy Recovery Process

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
    justy311
    (male)

justy311 HB User
    Uvulaectomy and Aednoidectomy Recovery Process

Hello everyone, I recenly had a uvulaectomy and aednoidectomy done to stop a nasty sinus infection. I am now in the recovery process and the pain is horrible, but I am sure it could be worse. I am wondering what I should be expecting with this, how long will be in pain, and what should I watch out for. I never had a surgery before so this is number one. They said a recovery time was 2 weeks, and after that I will feel no more pain and I will start healing instantly. Anyone clarify this. I appreciate any response. Thanks for reading...sorry this is a little spuradic as I am still recoverying for this...

justin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Uvulaectomy and Aednoidectomy Recovery Process

Justin,
    Hello everyone, I recenly had a uvulaectomy and aednoidectomy done to stop a nasty sinus infection. I am now in the recovery process and the pain is horrible, but I am sure it could be worse.

They didn't remove your tonsils as well? I haven't heard of just the adnoid removal without removal of the tonsils in anyone other than real small children ... anyway to your question.

I am wondering what I should be expecting with this, how long will be in pain, and what should I watch out for. I never had a surgery before so this is number one. They said a recovery time was 2 weeks, and after that I will feel no more pain and I will start healing instantly.

The two week recovery process is more for the uvula than the adnoidectomy. Managing the pain. The uvula will continue to hurt it is a integral muscle flap that is used every time you swallow. There are numbing lolly pops and gargles that can be used to lessen the pain here. To help with the adnoid pain.. saline nasal sprays every two hours that you are awake. The adnoids do not get the full benefit of hydration while drinking that the tonsil bed does.. as a result when it drys out it hurts.

Standard adnoidectomy recovery time 3 - 5 days. It will take 5-7 for the uvula swelling to begin to go down, then the recovery should begin to pick up. If it gets too much your ENT should be willing to prescribe a steriodal pill series or give you a steriodal shot in the behind to help manage swelling and pain.

Besst wishes.
    MG

Anyone clarify this. I appreciate any response. Thanks for reading...sorry this is a little spuradic as I am still recoverying for this...

Last edited by mkgb; 01-12-2007 at 06:56 AM.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
    justy311
    (male)

justy311 HB User

Hello, thanks for response, it is greatly appreciated. I have one more question, I hope someone can help me. I have this stuff coming up, either by coughing, or "hacking" it up, and I am unsure what it is. It is either a greenish/red color or red color, the only way I can describe it is as old blood, as that is what it tastes like. I also have very nasty bad breath that smells just like the stuff I am coughing up, and when I called my ENT they told me it was normal and it will go away quickly, but it just does not feel right. I am curious if this will eventually go away and will I ever not have bad breath? Thanks again for the help...
    justin

Last edited by justy311; 01-22-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Hey,
    It took about 12 days for my breath to return to normal.. I didn't just cough up old blood and puss mixtures, but threw it up for two plus days (day 11 and 12).

Infection normally is supported by a fever in excess of 101. So keep up with the saline spray and fluids and watch your temperature. If your temperature spikes get to the ENT and get some anti-biotics.

MG

Old 01-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
    justy311
    (male)

justy311 HB User

I hear ya, I am noticing that I "taste" the nasty things and even the breath from my nose smells bad (or so the girlfriend says). I go to my post-op on Friday and I am going to ask them all the questions I have, and then they can look in my nose where my adenoids were. It has been about 17 days since I had the surgery and they said about 2 weeks and this stuff will go away...what it almost feels like is the sinus infection wants to come back, it just does not have anything to stick to. I just do not like having the coughing fits and spitting stuff up. Again, thanks for all the responses, it is appreciated.

Justin

Closed Thread