It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Has anyone heard of Lingual Tonsils?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2007, 07:44 AM   #1
    fairy-lights
    Veteran
    (female)

fairy-lights HB User
    Smile Has anyone heard of Lingual Tonsils?

Hi Everyone.

I am new to this board, I normally post on the Lymphoma board.

I was referred to an ENT consultant for enlarged lymph nodes, he put a camera up my nose so he could view my throat.

When I was three I had my tonsils taken out due to recurring tonsillitis, so when he said your tonsils are enlarged I thought Oh No who have I been sent to see? Apparently every one has too sets of tonsils and it was in fact my lingual tonsils that are enlarged, I have tried to find out on the Internet, but I still can't make any sense of it all.

If any one knows any information it would help thank you.

Susie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
    technostar
    (female)

technostar HB User
    Re: Has anyone heard of Lingual Tonsils?

Oh my gosh I think that might be what I have, I'm looking it up now, thank you!

Old 03-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
    DADDY'SLILGIRL
    (female)

DADDY'SLILGIRL HB User

If you look in the anatomy books; they actually say you have 3 sets of tonsils because they include the adenoids as tonsillar tissue. So you have pharyngeal tonsils, palantine tonsils and lingual tonsils. If you have your pharyngeal tonsils removed when you were 3; than your lingual tonsils are probably the ones giving you trouble.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
    Babe70
    (female)

Babe70 HB User

Hi there

I was asking my ENT about my lingual tonsils at my post op appointment on Tuesday. The three tonsil tissues that you have i.e your palatine tonsils, lingual tonsils and adenoids (pharyngeal tonsils) form a ring (Waldeyer's tonsillar ring).

The lingual tonsils sit just above the voice box, at the very bottom of the tongue. They are often the cause of sore throats when patients have already undergone tonsillectomy. They can also cause a variety of catarrhal symptoms when enlarged, in particular throat clearing, tickly cough and a lump sensation at the back of the tongue. When undergoing a tonsillectomy there is alot of nerve damage, trauma and scaring to the throat and it would be unsual for the lingual tonsils to escape unscathed I would think!

My ENT examined me thoroughly by putting the camera up my nose and down my throat to examine everything and thats when he found the residue lymphatic tissue. He confirmed that I had no adenoids (they were removed when I was six - same time as I SHOULD have had my tonsils removed). If I had to go in again to have the remaining tissue removed I think I would have everything else out only leaving my tongue!!! All these tonsils are nothing but trouble!

Old 03-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
    Mayabee
    Inactive
    (female)

Mayabee HB User

Did you ENT say that you can get your lingual tonsils removed as well?

Are there serious risks to removing the lingual tonsils?

Old 03-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
    fairy-lights
    Veteran
    (female)

fairy-lights HB User
    Smile Re: Has anyone heard of Lingual Tonsils?

Hi Guys

Thank you all for taking the time and replying to my post.

I have a lot of lymph nodes that are enlarged at the moment and an enlarged spleen, my body has difficulty fighting off infection.

My ENT consultant took a biopsy of my Lingual Tonsil, which came back clear.

He said it is possible to remove them, however, it is a very tricky operation to perform apparently, and he would prefer not to.

Please up date me on what you find, and how you are all getting on.

If any of you know if this has any significance to any of the other lymph nodes in your body, please let me know.

It's great to hear your experiences.

Take care all of you Susie x

Old 10-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
    DANIELL9
    (female)

DANIELL9 HB User

Hi! I had my lingual tonsills removed (sucked) by heat, by an amazing d"r. D"R James Yee in folsom CA. It's not a complicated surgery and it's worth it! I had the surgery just a week ago and it feels like sore throat, with pain killer it's o.k. I take lortab liquid and drink cold water with ice. I could even swallow relatively easy. I had MANY MANY lingual tonsills, a big "lump" and it felt disgusting and smelly. Five weeks ago I also had tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy and believe me It was painfull like hell! much worse.

Last edited by DANIELL9; 10-12-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Closed Thread