It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy Next Week!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
    Babe70
    (female)

Babe70 HB User
    Tonsillectomy Next Week!

Hi

I am from the South West in the UK and am so very happy that I came across these boards, they are so informative and supportive. It is great to know that so many other people are going through this every day/week.

I have been plagued with sore throats and tonsillitis for as long as I can remember. At 18 I developed glandular fever - you call it mono - and my tonsils swelled and never went back down again! (I am 36 now). Since then I have had repeated attacks of tonsillitis and, in the last five years, strep throat which comes on around March/April and stays for months. I am allergic to penicillin and so have countless other antibiotics, which eventually I become immune to and so leaves me feeling awful for months.

My gp finally referred me for a tonsillectomy and this will be done next Wednesday the 24th. I am so scared! The operation itself isn't a problem - I will be asleep! But I don't really know what to expect on waking - only pain and lots of it!

I am going to print off LisaMP's post a "Guide for Friends and Family" as I think this will be so helpful. I am going to give a copy of it to my boyfriend and my mum so they know what to expect!

Fingers crossed for next Wednesday
    I can't wait for it all to be over!

XX XX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy Next Week!

If you are truely concerned about the pain, ask your surgeon and the surgical nurse for the following prescriptions:
    1) lydocaine lollypops or the 2% lydocaine viscous gargle
    2) oticaine ear drops
    3) a steriodal dose pack
    4) liquid pain reliever

Remember to rest and take it easy as well as drink over 100 ounces of ice water a day, and apply ice to the throat and heat to the ears.

Best of luck to you. I am glad that my repost of LisaMP's guide has been helpful.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 01-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
    Babe70
    (female)

Babe70 HB User

Thanks MG, I have taken a note of your suggestions and I have no doubt that they will be valuable to me next week!

xxx Babe xx

Old 01-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
    ralnes18
    (female)

ralnes18 HB User

Hey...no worries about the surgery!!! I had mine done...today marks four weeks ago. I'm just about feeling back to normal...finally. I had major anxiety about the post-op condition that I would be in...but they send you home with plenty of things to control the pain. I had liquid lortab...and the doctor also sent me home with a steriod dose pack to take about day five post op. I would highly recommend that because I felt like a different person after I started taking it. And do like MG says...STAY hydrated...that makes a big difference!!! When your throat gets dried out it doesn't feel very nice!

Recovery is not a piece of cake...but it's manageable. Just keep telling yourself you'll never have to deal with tonsil problems EVER again!!! You'll do just fine! Keep us informed!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
    Babe70
    (female)

Babe70 HB User

Thank you ralnes18 your post has certainly left me more feeling more positive!

I will mention the steriod pack for day 5 as, with what I am hearing/reading days 5-10 are quite nasty in the way you feel and the threat of bleeding. I have introduced my boyfriend to this site also and will no doubt be "popping by" during the course of my recovery.

Thank you so much, and yes, I will keep you informed. xxxxx

P.S. As luck would have it (not) my 14 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with actue tonsillitis!! So I have packed her off to my parents for the rest of the week. That is the last thing that I want to pick up right now!!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
    IceBlueYaris
    (female)

IceBlueYaris HB User

Hi,

I'm from Essex in the UK & had a tonsillectomy yesterday along with my sinuses washed out. I had it done under Bupa in a private hospital. I had to stay overnight and came home at 11.30 this morning. I had my blood pressure done every few hours afterwards & I have 3 tablets - ones called tyflex, the other voltarol and amoxycillin capsules. The tyflex ones are blackcurrant flavoured & dissolve in a glass of water. I have also got a spray called difflan spray which you apply to the area.

The pain is very sore, I find it difficult to swallow and I'm quite emotional - I keep wanting to cry! I'm 22 and this was my first time in Hospital ever for a proper stay. The Nurses said that as I havent bled yet then it isnt likely I will do as the healing has already started, but to keep my eyes open just incase.

I'm still incredibly groggy from the anaestetic so I'm sorry if this doesnt make much sense but I didnt find the experience all that bad, just got to be patient and be careful. They recommended I avoid crowds too as because there is a raw area in the throat you are more susceptable to infections.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:49 AM   #7
    Babe70
    (female)

Babe70 HB User

Hi IceBlueYaris,

I have been reading your other posts and am glad to hear that all went okay with your operation and you have started your recovery well.

I had to have surgery in September last year (for something else) and went private and found it to be excellent care. However, funding means that I am going NHS with my tonsillectomy but am going to a good hospital and don't think there will be any problems. I have made a mental note of what you were given afterwards and will make sure I have everything they have to offer!!

Keep us posted on your recovery and thanks again. xxxxxx

Old 01-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
    graceful36
    (female)

graceful36 HB User

I am on day 10 post-op and I am just coming out of the horrible stage. You will make it through this, but believe me you will feel like the pain will never stop. The lollipops were a mircle when It was between medicine times. Be very careful with the pops you can only have it in your mouth up to 1 minute. Read the instructions they come with. Also the ice pack for your neck is a life savers, it really helps with the swelling. I also found that by wrting down the times I took my medicines I would know when I could take the next dose. Becasue you are in a medicine supar you might forget. You might need to sleep sitting up because your uvula will swell and make you snore quite loudly. The most important thing is to drink water all the time and to REST (this part was quite hard for me) I am used to aking care of eveyone else, not the other way around. You will get through this!!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

graceful36,

Great point about the medication time list.. I had a spread sheet that I kept on my fridge, by all the bottles. Do you mind if I post this recommendation in the Lisa MP's guide? It is a really good idea.. wish I had thought of posting it months ago.

Respectfully,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 01-19-2007 at 08:26 AM.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:23 AM   #10
    Nieceroe
    (female)

Nieceroe HB User

Hello!

I'm really glad I found this board as I'm scheduled to have a tonsillectomy next week also due to a tumor on my tonsil. At 50+, I am very apprehensive due to several factors and wondered if anyone might have some advice. The problem is that lately under general anesthesia, my blood pressue drops dangerously low. Secondly, I get very nauseated from the anesthesia and usually wake up vomiting in recovery which is a scary thought after a tonsillectomy. Thirdly, my new ENT wants to also repair my deviated septum at the same time. This was done once several years ago when I had a thyroid cyst removed (same operation) and the two together was a bit much. I also don't have much "space" in my throat and am very worried about clotting/breathing/gagging etc. My husband is older and in poor health and will be my only caregiver but I know he will do all that he possibly can. I just don't know now if I should even go through with this but Dr. insists that this tumor be removed. I'm also not sure at my age how much time to allow before I return to work.
    Can you tell I'm trying to validate cancelling this surgery??
    Thanks and Best wishes!!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:27 AM   #11
    IceBlueYaris
    (female)

IceBlueYaris HB User

Hi,

I had tonsillectomy done on Tuesday - it was my first time of having anaestetic and my Mum suffers from bad sickness after it. I told the Nurses this & they gave me some tablets to take before hand - one was to stop the sickness, another was to dry up the acid in the stomach and there was a 3rd one but I dont know what it was for!

I have a small mouth/throat too but the ENT's are fine with this and I didnt have any pain from the actual operation being done, just now that the healing has started so has the pain.

I've been given 2 weeks off work & go back to the ENT on the day that my sicknote expires - if you relay all your worries to your ENT/Nurse so that they are fully aware they will be able to take the necessary precautions.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #12
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nieceroe,

Well about thirty years ago when my mother had her T&A she was just given local anesthetic and nitrous oxide. Even farther back dentist's used to extract Tonsils. Tell your anesthesiologist of your concerns.. ask about alternatives to anesthesia: local and or accupuncture.

Make sure that the ENT you are using is going to perform the coablation extraction method. This is less traumatic on you and allows for a quicker recovery. Lastly make sure you get steriods up front to cut down on the swelling and pain.

Now as far as recovery goes... make sure you account for at least 2 weeks. I was mobile and self confident about my own care for the first 3 days.. then Wham.. I was in pain and just wanted to be brought water and/or gruel and to be left alone... after getting a steriod shot on day seven... eight hours later I was able to eat better and pain was marginal.

Get them out.. but go to an ENT that specialized in working on children and is current on the latest techniques. It makes for a very clean surgery site and lower pain filled recovery.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 01-20-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #13
    graceful36
    (female)

graceful36 HB User

To ********
    Yes, go ahead, anything that will help other people who have to go through this.

Last edited by graceful36; 01-20-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks graceful36,

I just posted it front and center on the LisaMP's guide. I am sure it will come in handy. WIth out mine my mother in law, husband, and I would have been cross dosing me continually with lortab early on.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 01-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
    Babe70
    (female)

Babe70 HB User

Hi all

Thanks for all your replies and advice. Tomorrow is the big day!!! I am excited to be finally getting rid of my tonsils but nervous at the same time. The thought of all that pain afterwards!! But at least I can kiss goodbye to horrendous strep throat every year! My boyfriend is cooking my dinner - its almost like the last supper!! Well, the last 'proper' meal I will be eating for a while anyway!

I have noted what graceful36 suggested in an earlier post about writing down the times of medication. I did this for my boyfriend a couple of years ago after an operation and again for my son this year and it really is helpful as you can forget when you took the last dose, especially if you are taking more than one.

I will be back to update you in the next few days xx

Closed Thread