It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• turbinate reduction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
    jwh1
    (male)

jwh1 HB User
    turbinate reduction

I can barely breath via my nose. I was on various steroid sprays for several months but they gave very little relief. My ENT just told me of various ways to reduce the size of my overly swollen turbinates:

1. turbinate bone removal
    2. turbinate somnoplasty
    3. turbinate tissue removal

If none of that works he said that he could perform a septoplasy.

Has anyone had any of these procedures to improve their breathing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    Re: turbinate reduction

In March 06 I had Septoplasty, my turbines reduced laterally, and all of my sinuses opened (was not a happy camper afterwards! LOL), but in the long run it has really paid off. When I was recovering I talked to my dr about how I had this weird sensation in my nostrils, and he said it was air going in and out of them lol.. so yes, I recommend this surgery very much, but know that the recovery does suck...but it's worth it in the long run.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
    jwh1
    (male)

jwh1 HB User

Dear twizliz,

How were your turbinates reduced? Also did these operations give you empty nose syndrome? I've heard that can be worse off than swollen nostrils?

Last edited by jwh1; 01-26-2007 at 07:39 AM.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User

What do you mean by recovery sucks. What do empty nose syndrome mean.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
    doone56
    (female)

doone56 HB User

I had turbinectomy (sp?) at the same time as my tonsillectomy. My nose recovery has been painfree and wonderful (especially compared to my throat pain). My nose is still sore after 4 weeks but nothing that is bothersome.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
    jp39
    (male)

jp39 HB User

I had a septoplasty with a turbinate reduction along with a tonsilectomy to relieve sleep apnea. The recovery was not pleasant but I do not snore and have little apnea. The biggest bonus was no more chronic sinus infections.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
    msmaria1010
    (female)

msmaria1010 HB User

I had septoplasty with turbinate reduction and tonsillectomy at the same time 8 days ago. Let me tell you, septoplasty is a piece of cake compared to the tonsillectomy! I would not hesitate to have this operation. There is a little tightness and a little itchiness in the nose after the surgery, and breathing mostly through the mouth for a week. Nothing that I couldn't deal with. And then yesterday, after one week, I saw my doctor. He removed the splints from my nose, rinsed with a saline solution, put bacitracin in each nostril,(I'm to do this at home too) and it felt wonderful. I took my first big breath through my nose and actually felt it reach my lungs. Last night I could sleep breathing comfortably through my nose. What a Relief! Do It!

Closed Thread