HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Ear, Nose & Throat (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/ear-nose-throat/)
-   -   Ear Pressure - Inner ear infection? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/ear-nose-throat/467535-ear-pressure-inner-ear-infection.html)

dtarin 01-31-2007 08:37 AM

Ear Pressure - Inner ear infection?

Hi All,

I'm suffering from ear pressure in my left ear. It feels like I have water stuck in there that I can't get out. It's quite annoying as everything sounds like it's underwater on that ear. :(

Other than that I have no other symptoms. No headache, no vertigo, no congestion, no pain.. just that darned bubble/water in ear feeling. It's very distracting.

I went to the ENT and I was told I have some viral infection deep inside the ear. So I was given a corticosteroid (prednisone) and Valtrex. Has anyone gone through a similar treatment? How long until you started feeling better?

Thanks,
David

dtarin 02-09-2007 04:04 PM

Re: Ear Pressure - Inner ear infection?

Well.. I'm almost through with the meds and no big change. A followup with the ENT showed my hearing didn't get any worse, which is good thing. So I'm now getting an MRI and got a blood test.

My doc says my ear looks clean so whatever it is it's affecting my inner ear. I can't find much online regarding inner ear problems. Most everything is about otitis externa and otitis media.

What kinds of things affect the inner ear?

bweb 02-09-2007 05:18 PM

Yes, I have often been plagued by this type of thing...

How long has it been affecting you...it is often caused by a virus, like a cold, that settles in the middle or inner ear.

Are you taking anti-histamines? Sometimes antibiotics have absolutely no effect.

It usually goes away on its own...try to be a bit patient...if it does not improve in a few weeks it may be time to have more tests.

bweb

BumpkinPumpkin 03-22-2007 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=bweb;2791060]Yes, I have often been plagued by this type of thing...

How long has it been affecting you...it is often caused by a virus, like a cold, that settles in the middle or inner ear.

Are you taking anti-histamines? Sometimes antibiotics have absolutely no effect.

It usually goes away on its own...try to be a bit patient...if it does not improve in a few weeks it may be time to have more tests.

bweb[/QUOTE]

Is it possiblle to have a cold or allergies in the inner ear and not know it?

Riddler14 03-23-2007 05:44 AM

[QUOTE=bweb;2791060]Yes, I have often been plagued by this type of thing...

bweb[/QUOTE]

Soo be patient and let it go away itself without medication? That's my plan as I don't see it as a reason to go to the doctors as it is not really bothering me..more of a nuiscance rather than a problem.

tummy2 03-26-2007 06:58 PM

Inner ear disorders include things like Labyrinthitis, Vestibular Neuronitis, Meneires disease, etc...However, that really doesnt sound like you have any of those. It sounds like you may have a Middle Ear infection or some residual fluid left in your eustacion tubes from a previous infection. Some times the fluid is not much so they really cant tell by looking or a tympanogram... So they say its clear, hopefully it goes on its own soon.