It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Ear Pressure - Inner ear infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
    dtarin
    (male)

dtarin HB User
    Question Ear Pressure - Inner ear infection?

Hi All,

I'm suffering from ear pressure in my left ear. It feels like I have water stuck in there that I can't get out. It's quite annoying as everything sounds like it's underwater on that ear.

Other than that I have no other symptoms. No headache, no vertigo, no congestion, no pain.. just that darned bubble/water in ear feeling. It's very distracting.

I went to the ENT and I was told I have some viral infection deep inside the ear. So I was given a corticosteroid (prednisone) and Valtrex. Has anyone gone through a similar treatment? How long until you started feeling better?

Thanks,
    David

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
    dtarin
    (male)

dtarin HB User
    Re: Ear Pressure - Inner ear infection?

Well.. I'm almost through with the meds and no big change. A followup with the ENT showed my hearing didn't get any worse, which is good thing. So I'm now getting an MRI and got a blood test.

My doc says my ear looks clean so whatever it is it's affecting my inner ear. I can't find much online regarding inner ear problems. Most everything is about otitis externa and otitis media.

What kinds of things affect the inner ear?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
    bweb
    (male)

bweb HB User
    Cool Re: Ear Pressure - Inner ear infection?

Yes, I have often been plagued by this type of thing...

How long has it been affecting you...it is often caused by a virus, like a cold, that settles in the middle or inner ear.

Are you taking anti-histamines? Sometimes antibiotics have absolutely no effect.

It usually goes away on its own...try to be a bit patient...if it does not improve in a few weeks it may be time to have more tests.

bweb

Old 03-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
    BumpkinPumpkin
    (female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bweb View Post

How long has it been affecting you...it is often caused by a virus, like a cold, that settles in the middle or inner ear.

Are you taking anti-histamines? Sometimes antibiotics have absolutely no effect.

It usually goes away on its own...try to be a bit patient...if it does not improve in a few weeks it may be time to have more tests.

bweb
    Is it possiblle to have a cold or allergies in the inner ear and not know it?

Old 03-23-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
    Riddler14
    (male)

Riddler14 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bweb View Post

bweb
    Soo be patient and let it go away itself without medication? That's my plan as I don't see it as a reason to go to the doctors as it is not really bothering me..more of a nuiscance rather than a problem.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
    tummy2
    Veteran
    (male)

tummy2 HB User

Inner ear disorders include things like Labyrinthitis, Vestibular Neuronitis, Meneires disease, etc...However, that really doesnt sound like you have any of those. It sounds like you may have a Middle Ear infection or some residual fluid left in your eustacion tubes from a previous infection. Some times the fluid is not much so they really cant tell by looking or a tympanogram... So they say its clear, hopefully it goes on its own soon.

Closed Thread