It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Pulsatile tinnitus - feeling alone...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
    smurf163
    (female)

smurf163 HB User
    Pulsatile tinnitus - feeling alone...

Anyone have pulsatile tinnitus and still no diagnosis of what is causing it?
    I've had pulsatile tinnitus for over a year now. Initially what got me to the dr was vertigo. (after about 3 months of having the throbbing/heartbeat sound in my left ear). Went to the dr and he gave me nose spray and told me to do that for 10days, said my esthetician tubes were probably clogged. Did that for the 10days and that didn't work. I then went to a different dr about 5 months later and he gave me (the infamous) nose spray, an anti-histamine and a decongestant and told me to take those for 3 months. (he said the same thing, my tubes were clogged) I only took those for a month and 1/2 as it wasn't helping at all. My dr said he would not refer me to an ENT as they would just give me the same stuff. I've since switched insurances and went straight to a ENT. They tested my hearing, which is perfect and ordered me an MRI. I had that last week and just got my results back today and supposidly NOTHING is wrong with me. They didn't find any artery problems, tumors, excessive cerebrial fluid, NOTHING. So I was told to come back in 6 months and they will retest my hearing........UGGGHHHH, so I'm just suppose to deal with it? I'm so frustrated and started crying when the told me they found nothing, as you can imagine I just wanted some answers.....anyone else had this happen? What's my next step? Should I request an MRA or CT? Thanks for any suggestions, extremely frustrated at this point....

The following user gives a hug of support to smurf163:
    franksara51 (12-14-2010)
    The Following User Says Thank You to smurf163 For This Useful Post:
    franksara51 (12-14-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
    Re: Pulsatile tinnitus - feeling alone...

I have meniere's & have tinnitus in both ears 24/7 but occ I do have the pulsatile tinnitus. When it starts I usually have it for a day or two & it goes away. It's a very strange feeling to hear your heartbeat in your ear. I have been told it was probably a blocked tube but I don't think they really know.
    Do you have high blood pressure? Good luck!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
    smurf163
    (female)

smurf163 HB User

Sammi2- my blood pressure never been high. I've been reading more and more about pulsatile tinnitus and what the causes are and it mostly says it has to do with arteries. I've noticed it I press on my cartoid vein (on left side), the throbbing/heartbeat sound stops for the moment, which tells me it is a blood flow issue. I'm reading about FDM (fibromuscular dysplaisa) which affects carotid arteries and a lot of what the symptoms are, I have.... plus it affects mostly women 20-40...makes sense to me, but my dr doens't want to do an MRA at the moment because he assumes it'll come back normal...so now what? UGGHHH!

Old 03-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
    brynac
    (female)

brynac HB User

I've had pulsatile tinnitus for 5 months. When I press on a spot right below the ear it will quiet down a bit. It doesn't go away though!!! I do have high blood pressure(170/110) and now my doctor thinks that's what the problem could be. I also have low thyroid so I'm taking meds for that first then we will try blood pressure meds. I can also hear the heartbeat in my left ear when the right ear quiets down though it's more of a faint thump thump thump kind of like an echo, the right ear is a very loud whoosh whoosh whoosh. This has been driving me totally crazy, and I wake up about 3 or 4 times during the night cause of this racket in my ear. I hope when/if my blood pressure goes down the noise will go away!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
    JoMurphy
    (female)

JoMurphy HB User

About a year ago I was down with a viral infection. I went to the doctor and she gave me antibiotics. As I began to recover, I noticed a pulse sound in my left ear. I went back to the doctor and she put my on sterioids to clear up swelling and fluid that might be going on my ear. Didn't work. So some months later I went to a ENT. He put me through a MRI. Results were negative. Nothing found and no advice on what to do.
    If I find an answer to this, I'll pass it on.
    You're not alone.

JoMurph

Old 03-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
    sickofmyear
    (female)

sickofmyear HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smurf163 View Post
    Sammi2- my blood pressure never been high. I've been reading more and more about pulsatile tinnitus and what the causes are and it mostly says it has to do with arteries. I've noticed it I press on my cartoid vein (on left side), the throbbing/heartbeat sound stops for the moment, which tells me it is a blood flow issue. I'm reading about FDM (fibromuscular dysplaisa) which affects carotid arteries and a lot of what the symptoms are, I have.... plus it affects mostly women 20-40...makes sense to me, but my dr doens't want to do an MRA at the moment because he assumes it'll come back normal...so now what? UGGHHH!

Last edited by sickofmyear; 03-13-2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: stuffed up

Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
    sickofmyear
    (female)

sickofmyear HB User

Hello, my ear has been blocked on and off since May last year, I have to todays date not found an effective treatment....I also hav tinnitus, however not the pulsatile one, but an ongoing hum, which is just as bad....however...since your tinnitus is most likely to be related to your blood circulation, may i suggest you try Gingko Biloba....it's a herb very good to improve circulation, it has also been used for people with tinnitus...

I also have a weird dripping/popping noise that comes and goes as well, which i beleive is related to my liquid/fullness problem, going to an acupanturist next week, see how that will help things...

Good Luck

Therese

Old 03-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
    sickofmyear
    (female)

sickofmyear HB User

Sorry, stuffed up this quote thingy....LOL

Old 03-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
    Gregbear
    (male)

Gregbear HB User

I have heard the same thing in my left ear only for several months now. I do not have high blood pressure. Mine seems to strengthen or diminish depending on which way I rotate my head. It also get much louder if I'm straining while doing something. The noise goes away when I press on my corotoid artery. It's starting to become very annoying. I have a dr's appt next monday and will bring it to her attention. I have Kaiser Permanente and they generally don't do anything unless you have a problem they can see!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
    BumpkinPumpkin
    (female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smurf163 View Post
    Anyone have pulsatile tinnitus and still no diagnosis of what is causing it?
    I've had pulsatile tinnitus for over a year now. Initially what got me to the dr was vertigo. (after about 3 months of having the throbbing/heartbeat sound in my left ear). Went to the dr and he gave me nose spray and told me to do that for 10days, said my esthetician tubes were probably clogged. Did that for the 10days and that didn't work. I then went to a different dr about 5 months later and he gave me (the infamous) nose spray, an anti-histamine and a decongestant and told me to take those for 3 months. (he said the same thing, my tubes were clogged) I only took those for a month and 1/2 as it wasn't helping at all. My dr said he would not refer me to an ENT as they would just give me the same stuff. I've since switched insurances and went straight to a ENT. They tested my hearing, which is perfect and ordered me an MRI. I had that last week and just got my results back today and supposidly NOTHING is wrong with me. They didn't find any artery problems, tumors, excessive cerebrial fluid, NOTHING. So I was told to come back in 6 months and they will retest my hearing........UGGGHHHH, so I'm just suppose to deal with it? I'm so frustrated and started crying when the told me they found nothing, as you can imagine I just wanted some answers.....anyone else had this happen? What's my next step? Should I request an MRA or CT? Thanks for any suggestions, extremely frustrated at this point....
    What exactly did you get an MRI on?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #11
    Peppercat
    (female)

Peppercat HB User

I've had it now for about 2 years, constantly, in my left ear. I recently had surgery for an aneurysm at the top of my left carotid artery, behind my eye, but below the brain, low risk of rupture. They cut off my left carotid artery to stop the blood supply to the aneurysm. The neurosurgeon and myself had hoped that it would stop the pulsatile tinnitus but is hasn't. Don't know where to go from here. I also have hyperacusis, sensitivity to sound. I am 7 weeks post surgery, maybe once the neck incision is totally healed it will go away, but somehow I don't think so. Strange it's all on the left side, the right side is fine.
    Peppercat

Old 09-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #12
    watcar
    (female)

watcar HB User

I empathise with you and you are certainly not alone. Along with many other things that have been occuring in my own body after a severe 'inner ear infection' several years ago, I also experience pulsatile tinnitus. It is always far more apparent when I'm in bed and try to sleep. Does this occur with you or are you always aware of the heartbeat?
    You mentioned arteries....well....this may well be, as one of my own MRI's showed 'small vessel ischemia' (narrowing of vessels in the brain). I guess to me it makes sense that the awareness of your heartbeat in your ears would no doubt be greater if there is in fact narrowing of arteries. More work to do -more pumping!
    I do not have an ultimate solution, however, I can honestly say, since I have learned to do a mild form of yoga alongwith meditation, (every day), the above has lessened. I am also beginning to believe that drugs of any type in the system can oftentimes do more harm than good. Are you taking anything specific?

Old 09-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
    watcar
    (female)

watcar HB User

Hello Peppercat,
    I just read your post and and noted you are also affected with hyperacusis. How do you manage when it comes to having other people around you....conversation mainly. I severely struggle with this. Is your vision affected also?

Old 09-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
    aim44
    Inactive
    (female)

aim44 HB User

I had pulsatile tinnitus for months...many test showed I was perfectly normal although I didn't feel normal, I felt sick. I heard it 24/7 worse at night trying to sleep but it was always there in my left ear. I am happy to say after finding a doctor who specializes in upper cervical veterbra I no longer have it at all. I mean at all. it's gone. what had happened was my head wasn't on straight basically. I know that sounds funny but it's true. They took specific x rays of my head and found that it was tilted to the right thus compressing the artery on the left side. Now why this can't be found by neurologist I don't know but after looking at the x rays my doctor put a sound wave machine up to my ear and after two months now it's gone. I have my life back!!! I just wanted to share. I wish this was known to the public.

Closed Thread