It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• tonsil issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
    AmyLooLoo
    (female)

AmyLooLoo HB User
    Re: LisaMP's Adult Guide to a Tonsillectomy

On my 3rd post-op day today.The past 2 days have not been bad. I am taking my pain meds every four hours still. I am leary about stopping the cycle to see how much pain I actually have w/out the meds. I don't think my pain has gone much above a tolerance of 6 or so out of 10. Swallowing is uncomfortable, not so much painful. My uvula is pretty swollen and irritating me, it just constantly feels like I have a lump stuck in the back of my throat. Both sides of my tongue are numb. It is uncomfortable to talk, I think more because of my tongue than anything.

I have been eating soft foods still; applesauce, jello, sorbet, broth. I tried some mac-n-cheese, which wasn't bad but I feel like it gave my mouth a workout, as I was more sore after eating the 1/4 cup of it. Too much of moving my tongue around to work the food.

Sleep has been going well. I wake up at times during the night when I feel my mouth dry up, take a few sips of water and drift back to sleep. I have been setting my alarm to take my pain meds at the four hour mark.

So far, this experience isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Like the previous poster said, I don't know if I'm in the minority, or if the pain is still to come. I haven't had any earaches yet. I just feel general body fatigue. Aside from all this, I just stopped nursing my 10mo daughter. I have been weaning her slowly over the past month, in anticipation of her last nursing session being the morning of my surgery. So I am dealing with some engorgement issues too. I figure it was a good time to do it, no work, on pain meds. So on top of the surgery, I'm dealing with the uncomfortableness of this too!

Starting to get a little stir crazy sitting around though. I went out yesterday for our tax appt., was out for about 2 hours and that wiped me out. I just don't have the energy to do much, and won't until I am able to eat more. I am starting to get back aches from laying/sitting most of the day/night. Oh well. At least overall (so far) it's been an okay experience!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
    CanadianGurl
    (female)

CanadianGurl HB User

Hi everyone. I had my tonsillectomy on March 15 - exactly a week ago today. The first few days were uncomfortable, but ok. The next 4 were unbearably painful. It wasn't until last night that I actually started to feel "ok". I had went off my painkillers because the shape of my tongue (white, sore, swollen etc) I was positive that it was a sure sign of an allergy to the medication.

My mouth is looking alot better. All the ugly white stuff off the tongue is disppearing and I can actually brush my teeth and it will feel good. My real concern now is this awful cough that I have developed. I did notice I had phelm in my throat around day 2 of surgery. I could hear it when I was lying down; It would give me a noise like I was a big bear.. Since then it has progressed to a bad cough. Last night I coughed so much that I thought I was going to get sick. It is almost like a phemonia/bronchitis type thing. I start coughing mostly when I am lying down. If I inhale deep, I know it will trigger a cough. Has anybody else experienced this? I am not sure if it is normal or if I should be convcerned about it. I wonder if this could be some sort of complication from the anastetic?

Old 03-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
    slplady
    (female)

slplady HB User
    Cool Re: LisaMP's Adult Guide to a Tonsillectomy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmyLooLoo View Post
    On my 3rd post-op day today.The past 2 days have not been bad. I am taking my pain meds every four hours still. I am leary about stopping the cycle to see how much pain I actually have w/out the meds. I don't think my pain has gone much above a tolerance of 6 or so out of 10. Swallowing is uncomfortable, not so much painful. My uvula is pretty swollen and irritating me, it just constantly feels like I have a lump stuck in the back of my throat. Both sides of my tongue are numb. It is uncomfortable to talk, I think more because of my tongue than anything.

I have been eating soft foods still; applesauce, jello, sorbet, broth. I tried some mac-n-cheese, which wasn't bad but I feel like it gave my mouth a workout, as I was more sore after eating the 1/4 cup of it. Too much of moving my tongue around to work the food.

Sleep has been going well. I wake up at times during the night when I feel my mouth dry up, take a few sips of water and drift back to sleep. I have been setting my alarm to take my pain meds at the four hour mark.

So far, this experience isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Like the previous poster said, I don't know if I'm in the minority, or if the pain is still to come. I haven't had any earaches yet. I just feel general body fatigue. Aside from all this, I just stopped nursing my 10mo daughter. I have been weaning her slowly over the past month, in anticipation of her last nursing session being the morning of my surgery. So I am dealing with some engorgement issues too. I figure it was a good time to do it, no work, on pain meds. So on top of the surgery, I'm dealing with the uncomfortableness of this too!

Starting to get a little stir crazy sitting around though. I went out yesterday for our tax appt., was out for about 2 hours and that wiped me out. I just don't have the energy to do much, and won't until I am able to eat more. I am starting to get back aches from laying/sitting most of the day/night. Oh well. At least overall (so far) it's been an okay experience!

Sounds similar to me. Unfortunately I, assumedly, got a GI bug, and couldn't stop vomiting and gagging, which felt really wonderful about day 5. If it hadn't been for that, pain was manageable and I was also at about a 5-6 or so most times. I was just so fogged that sitting didn't bother me. I watched a TV series because the 1 hour shows were easier to follow and attend to and turn off when I needed to sleep. With me, when the pain came, and it came fast, if I took meds, I sucked ice chips and within a half hour I was under control. I tried to wait until I needed the meds, unless I felt the meds wearing off, then I just went ahead and took more relief then. I had (and still have) lots of fatigue after 2 wks.

Sorry about the weaning issues. Been there, done that twice. You're getting there! A week or so and you'll have made it!

Old 03-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
    slplady
    (female)

slplady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianGurl View Post
    Hi everyone. I had my tonsillectomy on March 15 - exactly a week ago today. The first few days were uncomfortable, but ok. The next 4 were unbearably painful. It wasn't until last night that I actually started to feel "ok". I had went off my painkillers because the shape of my tongue (white, sore, swollen etc) I was positive that it was a sure sign of an allergy to the medication.

My mouth is looking alot better. All the ugly white stuff off the tongue is disppearing and I can actually brush my teeth and it will feel good. My real concern now is this awful cough that I have developed. I did notice I had phelm in my throat around day 2 of surgery. I could hear it when I was lying down; It would give me a noise like I was a big bear.. Since then it has progressed to a bad cough. Last night I coughed so much that I thought I was going to get sick. It is almost like a phemonia/bronchitis type thing. I start coughing mostly when I am lying down. If I inhale deep, I know it will trigger a cough. Has anybody else experienced this? I am not sure if it is normal or if I should be convcerned about it. I wonder if this could be some sort of complication from the anastetic?
    Could you have thrush? White tongue coated could be thrush??!! Hopefully you only have a few more days of pain. I did have a lot of coughing and phlegm, especially when I was lying down. I guess it's from the scabs and likely sensation from phlegm on irritated tissue. I didn't sleep because of it. Had to stay upright or in a recliner for a couple of days. It, too, made me gag and choke. Doubt it's the anesthetic from a week ago... To be safe, if it's that deep a cough, it's worth asking the doc about. Are you on an antibiotic since surgery?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
    sakuraxbunny
    (female)

sakuraxbunny HB User

I have a fever and it's day 15. Is this normal??

I have a headache and in general feel like hell. It doesn't help that I have no idea what's wrong with me.

I don't know what to do.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:10 AM   #6
    slplady
    (female)

slplady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sakuraxbunny View Post
    I have a fever and it's day 15. Is this normal??

I have a headache and in general feel like hell. It doesn't help that I have no idea what's wrong with me.

I don't know what to do.
    Did you follow up with your doc about your prior symptoms? I've been getting more headaches for the past week, so that part may be normal. The fever would not be normal. You may have a virus or infection. Call your doctor (general and/or ENT) and follow up. Keep in touch. Lisa

Old 03-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
    CanadianGurl
    (female)

CanadianGurl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slplady View Post
    Could you have thrush? White tongue coated could be thrush??!! Hopefully you only have a few more days of pain. I did have a lot of coughing and phlegm, especially when I was lying down. I guess it's from the scabs and likely sensation from phlegm on irritated tissue. I didn't sleep because of it. Had to stay upright or in a recliner for a couple of days. It, too, made me gag and choke. Doubt it's the anesthetic from a week ago... To be safe, if it's that deep a cough, it's worth asking the doc about. Are you on an antibiotic since surgery?
    I seen the doctor yesterday and she did give me a anti-biotic. She believes that I have bronchitis. It sure hurts to cough but other than that I seem to have improved alot.

I can now drink water without cringing on every swallow and am no longer on the pain medication. It still hurts, but not that unbearable pain like before. I still have the white scabs in the back of my mouth and am wondering when those will come off? I'm officially on Day 8 now. Supposed to be going back to work in 2 days but I don't see how that can happen. I just started to get the ear aches yesterday. They are painful but not unbearable, although, they may still get worse?

I see a little red around the white patches and I am wondering if some fell off and they are left bleeding after? Will they all fall off during a day or 2 or will it take weeks?

Thanks for your help!
    Terra

Old 03-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
    slplady
    (female)

slplady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianGurl View Post
    I seen the doctor yesterday and she did give me a anti-biotic. She believes that I have bronchitis. It sure hurts to cough but other than that I seem to have improved alot.

I can now drink water without cringing on every swallow and am no longer on the pain medication. It still hurts, but not that unbearable pain like before. I still have the white scabs in the back of my mouth and am wondering when those will come off? I'm officially on Day 8 now. Supposed to be going back to work in 2 days but I don't see how that can happen. I just started to get the ear aches yesterday. They are painful but not unbearable, although, they may still get worse?

I see a little red around the white patches and I am wondering if some fell off and they are left bleeding after? Will they all fall off during a day or 2 or will it take weeks?

Thanks for your help!
    Terra
    My scabs took between 12-14 days or so to come off. I wasn't aware of them coming off mostly, aside from a lot of coughing at times and the fact that the stuff was gone when I occasionally peered into my throat. I didn't have any bleeding, but I've understood that red areas are ok, as long as they are not appearing to frankly bleed. Glad you got some drugs and are feeling better! The coughing is most unpleasant!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
    AmyLooLoo
    (female)

AmyLooLoo HB User

Just finishing day 4 of my post-op. Last night I decided to take my last pain med dose around 10pm, and not set my alarm to take the next dose even though I was having a horrible headache. I could feel my headache slowly going away as I was drifting off, then I was fine through the night, still woke to a dry mouth at times and needed some sips of water. When I woke up, no headache, and my throat was not bad at all. I decided to take some liquid Tylenol instead of the Loritab when I woke, one more in the mid-afternoon, and I will take one more when I go to bed. I do have some soreness, but it's very tolerable. Hurts the most when I yawn. My eating tolerance is better today, had a pancake, mashed taters and gravy, chicken chewed up very good, and a small mcd's plain cheeseburger chewed up good. It was so nice to eat some real food! I also drove for the first time today and got out to do some grocery shopping.

Tonite I had a coughing fit, it felt like the scabs or something was touching the back of my tongue. I just kept downing the water to help it out. Looked in the mirror and couldn't see anything that was causing it. Both sides of my tongue are still somewhat numb, just feels like it's been badly burned on some hot soup. Still feel like my voice isn't quite back to normal.

So that's today's follow-up!

Old 03-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #10
    CanadianGurl
    (female)

CanadianGurl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmyLooLoo View Post
    Just finishing day 4 of my post-op. Last night I decided to take my last pain med dose around 10pm, and not set my alarm to take the next dose even though I was having a horrible headache. I could feel my headache slowly going away as I was drifting off, then I was fine through the night, still woke to a dry mouth at times and needed some sips of water. When I woke up, no headache, and my throat was not bad at all. I decided to take some liquid Tylenol instead of the Loritab when I woke, one more in the mid-afternoon, and I will take one more when I go to bed. I do have some soreness, but it's very tolerable. Hurts the most when I yawn. My eating tolerance is better today, had a pancake, mashed taters and gravy, chicken chewed up very good, and a small mcd's plain cheeseburger chewed up good. It was so nice to eat some real food! I also drove for the first time today and got out to do some grocery shopping.

Tonite I had a coughing fit, it felt like the scabs or something was touching the back of my tongue. I just kept downing the water to help it out. Looked in the mirror and couldn't see anything that was causing it. Both sides of my tongue are still somewhat numb, just feels like it's been badly burned on some hot soup. Still feel like my voice isn't quite back to normal.

So that's today's follow-up!

Wow! Can't believe you are eating so well already! Good for you! I am so sick of jello,ice-cream etc and just want some real food! Tonight I tried mashed potatoes and meatloaf for my first real meal. I ate less than a baby. It's frustrating when you are so darn hungry but can't get anything down. I think I lost too much weight and am starting to look sickly. Hopefully tomorrow will be better! Good luck with your recovery!

Old 03-24-2007, 12:12 AM   #11
    CanadianGurl
    (female)

CanadianGurl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slplady View Post
    My scabs took between 12-14 days or so to come off. I wasn't aware of them coming off mostly, aside from a lot of coughing at times and the fact that the stuff was gone when I occasionally peered into my throat. I didn't have any bleeding, but I've understood that red areas are ok, as long as they are not appearing to frankly bleed. Glad you got some drugs and are feeling better! The coughing is most unpleasant!
    I can't help wondering if I really do have bronchitis or if this coughing is part of the healing process. Would be a shame if I am taking this anti-biotics for nothing at all!

Just seems wierd that you had the bad cough and the phelm too..

The nice weather is starting to come and it looks like I will be recovering just in time. I'm glad I did it now, instead of when it becomes amazingly beautiful outside! Thanks again for all your help!

Old 03-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
    sakuraxbunny
    (female)

sakuraxbunny HB User

Day 17, my throat looks A LOT better. Slowly but surely it has been looking better. It looks normal now. Like the back of my throat was swollen and red when my tonsils were all messed up and it's back to normal now! It's really exciting to see my the back of my throat looking this healthy.

This surgery is worth it if you can stick out 2 weeks of pain. I figured 2 weeks of hell or a life time of hell? It wasn't even hell the whole thing I've experienced...the drugs help control the pain if you keep staying on top of them. Set your clocks every 4 hrs and take your drugs.(or whatever time limit you have).

My allergies have pretty much disappeared. I had my cats all over me and I had NO reaction whatsoever! Which is great because I've loved cats forever but couldn't handle touching them or touching my face after I touched them!

This is great. Slowly I know I will have no pain at all. The pain is very minimal.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 AM   #13
    princessreilina
    (female)

princessreilina HB User

Hi there! I was referred to get my tonsills out by my physician. She says that with my chronic tonsillitis and having to miss at least a week of work or school each episode that it would be in my best interest to get them taken out.
    My question is a little abnormal and I probably will get mixed results from this question but I have a tongue piercing and I was wondering if I will have to take it out for the procedure. Or maybe I should just get a retainer (non-metal)? I haven't heard of anyone with a tongue piercing getting a tonsillectomy.
    Also, Just curious if anyone knows the cost of the procedure, and (in adults) is it still mostly an outpatient surgery?
    Some answers would be GREAT
    Thanks,
    Tabby

Old 03-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #14
    CanadianGurl
    (female)

CanadianGurl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by princessreilina View Post
    Hi there! I was referred to get my tonsills out by my physician. She says that with my chronic tonsillitis and having to miss at least a week of work or school each episode that it would be in my best interest to get them taken out.
    My question is a little abnormal and I probably will get mixed results from this question but I have a tongue piercing and I was wondering if I will have to take it out for the procedure. Or maybe I should just get a retainer (non-metal)? I haven't heard of anyone with a tongue piercing getting a tonsillectomy.
    Also, Just curious if anyone knows the cost of the procedure, and (in adults) is it still mostly an outpatient surgery?
    Some answers would be GREAT
    Thanks,
    Tabby
    In Canada, you would definitley have to take it out. They wouldn't even allow me to wear rings or earrings during the surgery. You're best bet would be to call your hospital and ask for the "Day Surgery Department", I'm sure the person who answers the phone there will know. I would bet that you will have to remove it and that non-medal ones still wouldn't be permitted. (They use a clamp to hold down your tongue). Hope this helps!

Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #15
    CanadianGurl
    (female)

CanadianGurl HB User

On the middle of the night on Day 8, I broke out in a persistant cough. Couldn't stop coughing. Ended up coughing all of the scabs out. Went to the emergency and they called the ENT Doctor in at 4am to come in to seal me back up. I was bleeding alot. It was the grossest thing ever. The doc came in, gave me some freezing, and some spray that would re-hold things back together along with re-cauterizing the open areas. He was able to do it without going back in the operating room, but said that we may have had to if things didn't work as well as he had expected. It was very sore afterwards and I was worried I was set back to a Day 2 Stage, but it's been 24 hours since I had the procedure done and I feel good. Still can't shake this awful cough. The doctors told me that the codeine in the tylonel are excellent cough suppressants. I guess that is what they use in cough syrups, but in a much lower dosage..

So that is my update! - Be careful when coughing

Closed Thread