It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy and Turbinectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
    ~B~
    (female)

~B~ HB User
    Tonsillectomy and Turbinectomy

I had a Tonsillectomy and Turbinectomy on Thursday. I was in hospital for 2 nights. It wasnt as painful as i thought it would be... The jaw reconstruction dental surgery i had a few years ago was much more painful

I had it to try and cure OSA. The ENT had said it will probably cure it as my enlarged tonsils seemed to be the main cause of OSA.

My nose has been fine, a little blood coming out the last couple days but not really bleeding.

I was able to eat the night of the operation, about 7 hours after... I have found icecream is the best to eat and jelly... I tried to eat some soft warm food and that was a big mistake... I was also able to swallow pills too and i drank lots of water... This suprised me because ive read so much people say you cant do any of that...

I think drinking lots of water really helps.. Even though it really can hurt to swallow. Ive been having 2 panadeine forte every four hours and without them i cant really talk and cannot drink/eat anything....Drinking a big glass of water every time meds are taken and whenever u eat can really help keep the throat moist.

but ugh i cant wait for this to be over.. The pain meds make me not be able to concentrate on anything...I want to go back to uni Monday week but i donno if i should... Anyway ill stop rambling on now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
    ~B~
    (female)

~B~ HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy and Turbinectomy

DAY 4

Today is the least painful day yet... i had 2 Panadeine Forte's at 5AM then went down to only one at about midday... Am almost ready for another one six hours later....

Heh, im dreading tomorrow now... Since ive heard how 3-5 are supposed to be the worst.....im guessing my scabs having started falling off yet since its really not that painful yet....

Im really getting sick of Jello!.. I ate a peice of cheesecake, was nice and felt nice and soft on my throat... Icecream is still great to eat imo

Old 04-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
    Detonator007
    (male)

Detonator007 HB User

When you say turbinectomy, you mean he trimmed / reduced/ resected the turbinates correct ?

Or did he cut the whole inferior turbinate off ??

I had a tonsillectomy and a turbinate reduction on Feb 20th and I'm still recovering from it, not in pain but there are some persistent annoying symptoms that still remain . . .

Last edited by Detonator007; 04-17-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
    ~B~
    (female)

~B~ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Detonator007 View Post
    When you say turbinectomy, you mean he trimmed / reduced/ resected the turbinates correct ?

Or did he cut the whole inferior turbinate off ??

I had a tonsillectomy and a turbinate reduction on Feb 20th and I'm still recovering from it, not in pain but there are some persistent annoying symptoms that still remain . . .

IM pretty sure they just took some tissue out.. i think id be in more pain if they had taken out the whole bone

Old 04-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi there, I'm glad to hear that you are not in so much pain. I wasn't as lucky as you when I had the turbinectomy done. Mine was a bilateral partial turbinectomy, removing tissues and bone. I woke up from surgery feeling horrible and I was given alot of pain meds in IV in recovery till they couldn't give anymore. And I am those that can tolerate pain. I had very bad nausea and threw up lots of yucky stuffs and even got a fever.

Pain wasn't really that bad after Day 3 when they removed my packings. I had to gargle(sp) lots of cold ice water to help stop the bleeding. There were ongoing minor bleeding for at least 3-4weeks. I managed to remove some loose scabs while cleaning my nose around the third week. Then the rest was removed at the doctor's clinic, it was painless but you could feel pressure.

I ate lots of 'soupy' food post-op. Home cooked food; potato, tomato, chicken soup and drank lots of apple juice and milk.

I'm year post-op, doing good except the right side is blocking again.

Well, Good Luck to yall that are recovering from the surgery!!! Take care!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
    Detonator007
    (male)

Detonator007 HB User

Did you feel dryness and like you could not control the airflow for the first few months ??

I'm almost 2 months after a turbinate reduction and while I breathe more open it feels dry and not completely normal at times . .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheerAngel View Post
    Hi there, I'm glad to hear that you are not in so much pain. I wasn't as lucky as you when I had the turbinectomy done. Mine was a bilateral partial turbinectomy, removing tissues and bone. I woke up from surgery feeling horrible and I was given alot of pain meds in IV in recovery till they couldn't give anymore. And I am those that can tolerate pain. I had very bad nausea and threw up lots of yucky stuffs and even got a fever.

Pain wasn't really that bad after Day 3 when they removed my packings. I had to gargle(sp) lots of cold ice water to help stop the bleeding. There were ongoing minor bleeding for at least 3-4weeks. I managed to remove some loose scabs while cleaning my nose around the third week. Then the rest was removed at the doctor's clinic, it was painless but you could feel pressure.

I ate lots of 'soupy' food post-op. Home cooked food; potato, tomato, chicken soup and drank lots of apple juice and milk.

I'm year post-op, doing good except the right side is blocking again.

Well, Good Luck to yall that are recovering from the surgery!!! Take care!

Closed Thread