It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Adult Tonsillectomy Agony

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #46
    happily_saved
    (female)

happily_saved HB User
    Re: Adult Tonsillectomy Agony

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keepsmilin' View Post
    HS, I have heard of a lot of 20 yr olds feeling better quicker than us old people. It is Day 10 for me and I woke up feeling discouraged but feel encouraged tonight. Focus on Day 10 and pray that God will give you the strength to endure this. He will and you can.

If you can talk to your dr and get something stronger for the pain, I really think that you should. If you can get it down to bearable you should be feeling better. Please call your dr and tell them how you are feeling.

Let us know how tonight goes.
    Thanks tons for the encouragement!! So Last night? I wish it never had existed. I really didnt see the light at the end of the tunnel on that one! Yesterday I took a second dose of the new meds I had started for Pneumonia called Bioxin. What a mistake!!! Last night I ended up in the hospital and I spent the night there with an IV stuck in my arm while they pumped me full of Gravol and pain killers and fluids to keep me hydrated. I threw up 4 times last night... twice in the waiting room and twice when they gave me a bed. Every time I swallowed I would feel the scab on the back of my throat, and each time it made me gag. Each time that it made me gag... I was one step closer to once again heaving and vomitting. I wish it wasn't as bad as it sounds... but it really was. I got home at 7 this morning and had some rest. They made me swallow this gel stuff last night and it numbed my entire throat and tongue for about 15minutes. It took that scabby feeling away for a while. I could finally chew gum this morning. The nurse told me not to spit like I have been. She said it agitates my throat, prevents it from healing, and at the same time makes me dehydrated. I got a scolding hah. I told her my spit tastes like puss and infection but she said "I dont care... swallow it anyways" So this is where the gum has now come in handy. I am going to stick to liquids until monday or so... no more venturing off to try solid foods. I ended up eating a bit of french toast yesterday (fried), and Alpha-Ghetti, oh boy, NEVER make that mistake. Well I'm off to drink water here and rest up. I've got small cramping and bloating in my bowels... but since I've hardly eaten anything I shouldnt need to go to the washroom anyways right? Not like I could if I tried but ya. I also woke up this morning and it turns out I broke out in cold sores all over my mouth. No fun. Here is my update. Please keep me in prayer. You guys are blessed that the light is much more closer for you... but you had to endure as well!

_Danielle

Last edited by happily_saved; 06-15-2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: left out information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #47
    RyanInDC
    (male)

RyanInDC HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by badbeartonsil View Post
    Happily Saved (because you REALLY need to here it, I am at day 10 and mowed the lawn.
    you go girl!

well it's day 15 and i just had setback in my healing process largely bc of the second surgery (recauterization). but i have noticed some progress which is good news, i am mainly sore on the left side (2nd surgery site), but i stopped the painkillers bc it drove me crazy plus i was told tylendol regular would do just fine especially at this stage.

i am done with the bulletin boards now, time for me to move on and forget all this if possible!!! besides i gotta focus on my california trip which is coming up in 3 days so i gotta get BETTER, 10x!

hang in there y'all and been good chatting to you all as well. i bid you farewell- best of health, happiness and fortune!

Old 06-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #48
    badbeartonsil
    (female)

badbeartonsil HB User

You will be feeling much better very shortly happily saved. The worst is over now. Great you went to get checked out, that was very smart, recognizing your limit. I hope tomorrow is an even better day for you. I am doing great on day 11, pretty much back to normal.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #49
    keepsmilin'
    (female)

keepsmilin' HB User

I am so glad you went to the ER, HS. It sounds like you really needed it. I hope you are doing much better today.

I am feeling better today on Day 11. Just feels like a normal cold. I was able to eat quesadilla for dinner. Yeah!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #50
    happily_saved
    (female)

happily_saved HB User

Hey Guys

Wow Keep Smilin.... you got to eat Quesadilla's!!! So lucky! My biggest craving right now is Honey Garlic Sausage, Pizza, Garlic Bread, Chicken, and Scalloped potatoes! I wish I knew when I can look forward to eating those! I think a scab might have come off today. I was sitting outside swallowing all my saliva like the nurse told me to but I just had to spit cuz it tasted funny. Pure Red blood was what I spit out. Freaked me out! But it subsided after 15 minutes or so. I decided to eat some ice cream mixed with protein powder. That worked! After that blood thing I had this INTENSE pain in my throat, all the way through my teeth. Feels like my jaw is ceased up hah. I dont mind pain though so it's okay in this form. The pain is what has me convinced it was a scab. Also.. the entire back of my throat used to be white but now theres only a white strip going down the middle on both sides and it's pink/red where the tonsils were. I'm thankful for that! I was supposed to start a new job this monday... but I think I'm going to take one more week. It's only been 4 days really since the surgery. Has anyone been able to eat chicken this early? I need something solid already I haven't gotten intense ear pain yet, but I do sometimes get a burn/tightening feeling in my chest from the pain in my mouth I think. But yeh! talk to you all soon. OH YA! another thing. 15 minutes ago on the way home.... I was in the car and decided to spit a little in kleenex... when I did this BIG blood clot came up but I wasn't bleeding after spitting it out. Anyone else experience that?

Last edited by happily_saved; 06-15-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #51
    keepsmilin'
    (female)

keepsmilin' HB User

yay, hs. Sounds like you are close to recovery. If you only have a little bit of white left then you should be out of pain soon! Hurray for you! Once I thought I could handle chicken I did. I dont know. Call your dr and find out. Better safe then sorry.

Hope you are well on your way to recovery!

Oh by the way, I agree, bleeding pain is different than the scab pain.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #52
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Tonsillectomy at 19 and a week later I sipped my first orange juice at frat house...I fell to my knees in pain. aArie Antoinette must have had an easier time when she was BEHEADED.

Upside was that the tonsillitis I had on a monthly basis for 15 years, disappeared overnight.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #53
    lady99
    (female)

lady99 HB User

Hi Everyone,

I'll be having a septoplasty and tonsils removed next Friday. This message board is SO helpful.

My 17 yr. old son had the same surgery last August. I began reading adult message boards then, since he's adult size. I kind of know what to expect from watching his recovery, although I'm a little older than he is, and this time I'll be experiencing the pain.

He bled terribly on day 10, but am I right to believe that severe bleeding only occurs in a small number of cases???

Old 06-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #54
    happily_saved
    (female)

happily_saved HB User

Oh man!! I hope bleeding only occurs in a small number of cases! I keep hearing stories of people who bleed and have to go back in and get recauterized (sp?) It's freaking me out!!! I bled a tiny bit yesterday but it seemed to stop pretty fast. I spit up a blood clot an hour later and there was no bleeding involved. I pray so hard theres no more bleeding. If it isnt overly necessary for you to get them removed I totally wouldnt do it. Like if you get tonsilitis 4 times a year or something then its not worth it at all! I had it twice a month so I had no choice but each day I never feel like the light is getting any closer.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #55
    bula
    (female)

bula HB User

im 7 Days post op and am in a lot of ear pain can anyone relate to this? also im in uk and as an answer to eating early they made me and two other women who were on my ward eat a sandwich two hours after surgery then we could not go home next day til we had eaten two pieces of toast !!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #56
    badbeartonsil
    (female)

badbeartonsil HB User

yes bula I had quite bad ear pain the whole way through. At day 12 I still have mind ear pain, like a pinch.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #57
    happily_saved
    (female)

happily_saved HB User

wow bula!! I can't believe they made you eat all that! That's horrible. I'm going on 7 days post op and I can't even imagine eating toast!! I feel bad for you *hugz*. your one day ahead of me. I haven't experienced much ear pain at all. But I do have extreme pain in my throat, my tongue is VERY swollen, and I get spasming in my throat. How do you feel other then ear pain? What have you been eating?

Badbeartonsil I was wondering.... where in Canada are you from? Did you have that hairball feel in the back of your throat?

_Danielle

Old 06-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #58
    bula
    (female)

bula HB User

Ive got the hair ball Feeling its awful and its four am now so yes im still hurting lots i was not told i had stitches but found out about an hour ago when i thought i was choking but spat up three of them my hair ball feeling was a bit better after that so maybe its the stitches causing that

Old 06-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #59
    bula
    (female)

bula HB User

Can anyone relate to having a strange pain which is only down one side of both throat and face but moves also to the head kinda behind the eye ball upon sneezing and yawning its agony X

Old 06-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #60
    keepsmilin'
    (female)

keepsmilin' HB User

Wow, I had heard that they do things different in the UK. You know though, it was probably about 20 yrs ago they did that in the US according to my sister-in-law. They actually told me to stay away from normal foods until Day7-10. Today is Day 13 and I ate all normal food for our Father's Day breakfast. I do feel like I have some cuts in the back of my throat. I just need to make sure that I drink something right after I swallow.

Word of advice....start eating bland foods and work your way up. I ate some sausage this morning...tummy is NOT happy.

For all those contemplating the surgery. I am glad that I had it done. I dont get tonsilllitis twice a month by any means but if you can have something done that will only last 2 weeks of pain compared to not fully living because of temporary bouts of pain and discomfort, I would go for it. My last bout of tonsillitis last 3 weeks. It has been VERY hard dealing with the pain the last two weeks but I am glad that I got it done. I am ready to be healthy. I am VERY happy I had the septoplasty (sp?) done. I can breathe through my nose!!! I didnt realize how bad it was before. I am tell you, recovery is HARD but I think the benefits far out way the agony for two weeks. Just make sure you have good pain drugs...I would also push to have antibiotics right after surgery. I know that every country isnt into the preventive medicine but I would push for it if I had to. Also I would get on here and find other people to be miserable with....it helps! It helps keep you going knowing that your symptoms are "normal."

Closed Thread