HealthBoards (
-   Ear, Nose & Throat (
-   -   Tonsillectomy post-op: Day 7 - I'm in heaven!! (

nikkers76 07-11-2007 06:57 PM

Tonsillectomy post-op: Day 7 - I'm in heaven!!
... and I don't mean that the pain has killed me. In fact, I mean quite the opposite :D

I've really struggled throughout this recovery period, as have so many of you on here and my heart goes out to everyone who's recovering. This board has been a Godsend and so have all you people who have put your experiences and words of hope out there for others. But let me tell you (and sweet Jesus, let this not be premature) that there is hope as early as 7 days post-op.

Day 2 was one of my worst days with a fever of 38°C (100.4°F), severe facial flushing, coughing and vomiting (a stitch was scratching my throat making me gag). I also woke up with ear pain and a thick coating of mucus that I've had on my tonsil bed since then.

Day 3 wasn't much of a picnic and Days 4 and 5 were pretty much the same. I knew that my day or more of hell (the scabs coming off) was probably fast approaching.

On Day 6 the pain was the most excruciating I've ever felt, and I've been through 4 other operations before. It was worse than day 2. If someone had of offered to euthenise me, I probably would have agreed :dizzy: I could hardly swallow, I couldn't talk, mouthing my words hurt my tongue and my throat and drinking water was like swallowing razor blades. Anything cold hurt and I had to drink luke-warm fluids. I felt extremely nauseous, I had referred pain in my ears, dark circles and bags under my eyes (which I never get by the way) and I was very dizzy. 3 times I sobbed like a baby, uncontrollably, because I couldn't bear the pain anymore. I was a basket case and the limit of my pain threshold.

Fast-forward Day 7: I actually slept last night! I SLEPT I TELL YOU!!! :bouncing: When I woke up this morning, the pain was NOTHING like it was yesterday. It was a ten-fold improvement. I can talk louder (I do still sound like I have marbles in my mouth though), I ate 2 macadamia and white chocolate biscuits for breakfast and I can get water down without unberable pain. It stings a little, but frankly, I don't care. I skipped up the hallway this morning in a Xanadu moment singing "I'm Alive" by ELO. I have more energy already and for the first time in a week, I'm actually wearing make-up. I've been so disheartened all week that I didn't have the will to do my most favourite girly-thing ever.

So what do I attribute my recovery to?

1. [B]VOLTAREN RAPID 25[/B] (diclofenac potassium 25mg). This is the ONLY painkiller that has worked wonders for me and here in Australia, you don't need a prescription. My sister bought this anti-inflammatory for me yesterday and not long after taking one tablet, I was able to eat and drink with very minimal pain and the scabs started sloughing off. This - without a doubt - has been my miracle drug.

2. [B]Keeping myself occupied [/B]- watching lots of TV and DVD's, walking around the house for a change of scenery, having baths and showers whenever I felt like it, going for a drive in the car as a passenger just to get out of the house, reading magazines and books.

3. [B]Crying[/B] - when you need to cry, do it. Holding it in was making it worse for me. I was scared to cry because I thought it would be agonising. It wasn't. I really do believe that when you don't release stress, it slows down the healing process.

4. [B]Keep Positive[/B]. It's very hard to do, I know. You'll have severe ups and downs throughout the process. You'll go from feeling positive to dreadful in a heartbeat. But keep reminding yourself that this is one of the best things you will ever do for your health.

HOWEVER - [B][COLOR="Red"]do not overeat because it doesn't hurt.[/COLOR][/B] You don't want to cause bleeding. I haven't bled at all during the dreaded de-scabbing process and the Voltaren has allowed me to eat to drink plenty of water, which in turn has made the scabs come off so easily and with hardly any pain. I take one tablet every 6 hours and last night, I took one Mersyndol and a Voltaren at 11pm to aid sleep. I woke up this morning at 4am and took another Mersyndol and Voltaren and slept until 8.30am.

I still look like one of the Tokyo Shock Boys when I drink (fluids tend to randomly projectile out of my nose) but...

♪♫♪♫ I'm alive! And the world shines for me today
Seems like forever (and a day), thought I could never (feel this way)
Is this really me? I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive!

Corny, I know, but nothing could some it up better for me today.


Samantha88 07-11-2007 11:27 PM

Re: Tonsillectomy post-op: Day 7 - I'm in heaven!!
I am SO happy for you, Nikkers! I sure searched your miracle drug on the internet to see if we had it in the US under another name, but no cigar.

I agree with what you said about crying. I had a rough night and was really depressed today, so I ended up crying for several hours, and I feel a lot better now.

I know it's too soon to tell, but I am thinking I might feel less fatigued than I have in months, just because those nasty tonsils are no longer in my body. It also might be because I'm not having to go to work and have the luxury of lounging around the house for a few more days, but hey, I've been quite short on optimism lately so I will take it where I can get it!

Can you tell me exactly how you know your scabs are coming off? What does it feel like? This is day 9 for me and I have had weird sensations in my throat as of last night, like a sort of itching feeling, but no evidence that anything has actually come off.

Wow, your ELO song sure brings back memories! I wore that record out as a kid! "Don't Walk Away" was a song I loved from that album. Aah, the good old days! :)

Samantha88 07-12-2007 05:05 AM

Re: Tonsillectomy post-op: Day 7 - I'm in heaven!!
Great, thanks for the info. I look in my throat and there are just big white patches like always. The itchy feeling seems to be lower than where I can see. I don't have a fever anymore and I'm feeling better and eating better, so I am just going to assume I am healing normally. I actually had Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken and mushrooms today. I couldn't eat a lot, but it sure was yummy.

My tongue is still really sensitive and the corners of my mouth are still cracked, but I think that is left over from the evil THRUSH. That's one thing I would add to your very informative OP, how to avoid thrush. I think my biggest error was not rinsing my mouth well after I took my antibiotic. Well, first I would hold it in my mouth for a while, trying to get the nerve up to swallow, and then it was sort of soothing going down so I would just go straight to bed without drinking another thing. That, plus the added sugar intake from the Gatorade (I really don't like drinking plain water but it certainly has been my best friend this last week) really made my mouth a happy place for thrush to thrive.

I tried Ibuprofen but it did next to nothing for me. I might see about the Celebrex though.

Well, congratulations on a successful healing! I'm glad we are on the tail-end of this!

nikkers76 07-12-2007 05:49 AM

Re: Tonsillectomy post-op: Day 7 - I'm in heaven!!
You poor thing, I can't begin to imagine what thrush would be like :( That would be an excellent idea for you to start a post about how to avoid it. A pharmacist once told me that thrush thrives on sugar and if it weren't for that information, I probably would have eaten a lot of sugary stuff during my recovery. I've always drunk Yakult every day (probiotic milk) so I may have avoided it anyway.

It's great to hear you had a yummy meal... mmmm!! I bet that was almost a spiritual experience for you. I'm dying for a steak sandwich and nachos *drool*

Do you have much mucus at all? I have heaps, right at the very back in the corner. I'm constantly spitting and I'm soooo over it.

Also, in regards to your tongue being sore, is it at the very back on either side near your tonsil bed? I can't seem to move my tongue around my mouth too much and I can't clear food from my teeth without this weird muscular pain. My lips are still very dry and the corners were split too but I find that Blistex and Carmex are working really well to soften the skin and the chapping.

As for the snorting sound that comes from the back of my throat when I speak - man, it's bloody irritating the bejeezus outta me!

sweetiee98 07-12-2007 05:00 PM

Re: Tonsillectomy post-op: Day 7 - I'm in heaven!!
Hey everyone! Im on Day 9 and I feel like I am on cloud 9!!!:angel:
I started turning for the better late on Day 6/early Day 7.....and it has gotten better every day! I can now say I haven't needed to take my pain meds in 24 hours! I can still feel a little pain every once in awhile but nothing like it was in the beginning.... Im eating better/ different things now, and I love my ice cold water!
I even went with my mom to the store for about an hour today......made me very tired, but, I got out of the house!
Best wishes to everyone! I will keep checking the boards!
There's a light at the end of the tunnel!! :bouncing:

Samantha88 07-12-2007 07:23 PM

Re: Tonsillectomy post-op: Day 7 - I'm in heaven!!
[QUOTE=sweetiee98;3095534]Hey everyone! Im on Day 9 and I feel like I am on cloud 9!!!:angel:

There's a light at the end of the tunnel!! :bouncing:[/QUOTE]

Good for you, Sweetiee! I'm glad we're all on well on the mend!

Samantha88 07-12-2007 07:33 PM

Re: Tonsillectomy post-op: Day 7 - I'm in heaven!!
Hey nikkers,

You know, mucus has not been a problem for me in the least. I guess I need to be very grateful for that! Maybe the Thrush kept the mucus away! Hee hee!

I think the top part of my tongue has been sensitive from the thrush, but yes, how you describe the muscular tongue pain is exactly how I feel. Whatís up with that? Iím glad to know Iím not the only one. I would have thought that this far away from the surgery whatever they did with the tongue during surgery would be all better. Do you suppose the cracked corners of the mouth comes from it being stretched during surgery? I almost wonder if they donít just knock us out so they can be rough with us. I wonder how much care they tookÖ

Anyway, I am ready to sound more like myself, too. Iím tired of sounding like I am holding my nose!

Oh, I had half of a turkey and avocado sandwich today on really soft wheat bread. It was really yummy. Boy, I sure could use some nachos! I think I am having tortilla chip withdrawal!

Thank you SO MUCH for posting. You have made my recovery much more pleasant! :cool:

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:03 AM.