It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Sudden Sore Throat after Tonsillectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #1
    LabTech133
    (male)

LabTech133 HB User
    Sudden Sore Throat after Tonsillectomy

Alright, I had my tonsils taken out 12 days ago. They gave me a Demerol injection and sent me home with a large bottle of Lortab and told me not to come back unless there was a problem after it was all over, I was only at the surgery center for about 4 hours. I slept for about 6 hours after I got home; when I woke up I felt pretty good, "this isn't so bad right?" Haha...the next day I was litterally crying out in horrible agony from both my throat and ears which peaked on day 3. Talking, swallowing, drinking, and moving was just downright bruttle. The saliva was awful too, my entire bed had to get a good washing because of my drool when I was able to fall asleep or was in a medicated haze and just spaced out for a few minutes of relief. I also developed a low grade fever of 99.6 which lasted only 2 days then went back down to normal. By day 6 I was eating applesauce and mashed potatos and being forced to drink water by the gallon still by my o' so loving girlfriend (no really bless her heart she's been great to me). By days 7, 8, and 9 I was up and out of bed feeling pretty good. Well it's day 12 now and all of a sudden this horrible constant sore throat came upon me. It's a constant burning that feels like really bad strep throat or tonsilitis. If my scabs have come off I didn't even notice them and I haven't bled at all since the operation. There's just 2 thin white patches in the back of my throat where my tonsils used to be. My uvula is a little swollen compaired to what it used to look like. I couldn't even see the bottom of it for the first week after the operation. This sore throat is mentioned in the packets the ENT gave me, it has something to do with the surgical site being "raw" after the scabs come off which can add an additional 1-2 days of pain to the recovery time; when my ENT opens up in a couple hours I'm going to call just to make sure 'cuz this really really hurts and I was feeling pretty good too. My voice is even returning to normal. I sounded so funky after my operation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
    Amanda121203
    (female)

Amanda121203 HB User
    Re: Sudden Sore Throat after Tonsillectomy

What day did you have your tonsils taken out?? I think we might be around the same time.... I had mine out on July 19th. Everything that you have mentioned is pretty much what I have gone through, and luckily with no bleeding either. Today my throat still hurts and I really can't eat anything hard still and when I do eat it still stings and burns. Not to mention my voice is still alittle off (not as bad but still not normal) And I also have the white patches in the very back part of my throat. I'm trying to cut down on my percocet taking only 1 in the morning and maybe 1 at night. Well anyway tell me what your doc says would love to know..... I saw mine on Friday 27th and he said everything was healing great! Oh any i'm dealing with thrush so I guess your lucky you didn't get that either!
    Amanda

Old 07-30-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
    nikkers76
    (female)

nikkers76 HB User

Hey LabTech,

The white patches in the back of your throat are the scabs. Some may have even started to come off, which could be why your throat feels so sore. The scabs coming off is the worst part, without a doubt. I cried so much during this period the pain was so excruciating and I couldn't talk at all. You absolutely MUST keep them wet to avoid bleeding. Drinking will be agonising but force yourself to do it (or get your lovely girlfriend to force you ). Don't drink icy cold water - while it would have given some relief in the beginning, at the 'descabbing stage' it only aggravates the throat further. Luke warm water is best and warm cups of tea really help.

I'm glad your voice is returning to normal - mine still sounds a little 'funky' as you put it I have nasal regurgitation because my soft palate hasn't readjusted to my tonsils not being there. Very, very, very, very annoying *grrrrr*

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-30-2007 at 11:12 PM.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
    LabTech133
    (male)

LabTech133 HB User

I actually went to my ENT and guess what.....I have an upper respiratory tract infection otherwise known as a common cold. Sure enough, when I woke up this morning I had a mild fever and felt overall like crap but the soreness in my throat is much more bearable.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
    LabTech133
    (male)

LabTech133 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amanda121203 View Post
    What day did you have your tonsils taken out?? I think we might be around the same time.... I had mine out on July 19th. Everything that you have mentioned is pretty much what I have gone through, and luckily with no bleeding either. Today my throat still hurts and I really can't eat anything hard still and when I do eat it still stings and burns. Not to mention my voice is still alittle off (not as bad but still not normal) And I also have the white patches in the very back part of my throat. I'm trying to cut down on my percocet taking only 1 in the morning and maybe 1 at night. Well anyway tell me what your doc says would love to know..... I saw mine on Friday 27th and he said everything was healing great! Oh any i'm dealing with thrush so I guess your lucky you didn't get that either!
    Amanda
    I had mine taken out the same day yours did. My voice is slowly returning back to normal too and my ENT said I can return to normal foods this Thursday. I'm trying to cut back on my Lortab pain meds too but this whole day my cold has been making me feel pretty crappy and on top of that I have this splitting headache so I'm still on my meds religiously.

Closed Thread