It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Constantly coughing up mucus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
    dposse
    (male)

dposse HB User
    Constantly coughing up mucus

Hello. I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this is in the incorrect board.

I am a 19 year old guy. For the past years years, i've been coughing up snot from deep in my throat. I have no clue why this is happening. I have sinus allergies, but i'm not sure it has anything to do with that. I did have Pneumonia when i was about 14, but i've been long since cured of that.

I can't seem to go a few minutes without coughing up more mucus. Sometimes, i've been coughing so fiercly that i've thrown up, which if you wake up in the morning and do that, it's not fun without something in your belly.

This is becoming a real problem for me. Can i take any drugs for this? I have allergy medication that i use during the spring for the pollen allergies that i have, would that work to cure this?

Any help would be very much apperciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
    dposse
    (male)

dposse HB User
    Re: Constantly coughing up mucus

Please, can anyone help me?? I really need some help. Thank you.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
    HRWade
    (female)

HRWade HB User

If this has been an ongoing problem, you really need to make an appointment with your doctor.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
    dposse
    (male)

dposse HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HRWade View Post
    If this has been an ongoing problem, you really need to make an appointment with your doctor.
    I would, but my family already has enough medical bills as it is. Both my parents have high blood pressure, sleep anpea, and my father has diabetes. I'm looking for a low cost solution, one that i can simply walk into my local supermarket and buy some medicane or something.

I use a antihistamine for my allergies during the spring time. Do you think that might help? Is there anything you could recommend?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
    HRWade
    (female)

HRWade HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dposse View Post
    I would, but my family already has enough medical bills as it is. Both my parents have high blood pressure, sleep anpea, and my father has diabetes. I'm looking for a low cost solution, one that i can simply walk into my local supermarket and buy some medicane or something.

I use a antihistamine for my allergies during the spring time. Do you think that might help? Is there anything you could recommend?
    Ok I have some questions for you...

How long has this been a problem?
    How much sputum are you coughing up?
    What color and how thick is it?
    Is it worse in the morning after getting up or is it the same amount, frequency and thickness all day?
    Have you had pneumonia recently?
    Do you have any other health problems other than the seasonal allergies?
    Does the medication you take for seasonal allergies help the sputum production?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
    HRWade
    (female)

HRWade HB User

Another question...do you smoke and if so, how often & how much?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
    dposse
    (male)

dposse HB User

Quote:
    Ok I have some questions for you...

How long has this been a problem?
    How much sputum are you coughing up?
    What color and how thick is it?
    Is it worse in the morning after getting up or is it the same amount, frequency and thickness all day?
    Have you had pneumonia recently?
    Do you have any other health problems other than the seasonal allergies?
    Does the medication you take for seasonal allergies help the sputum production?
    This has been a problem for a while. Maybe a year or so.

It's a clump about the size of the tip of my thumb, i guess.

The color is usually white. The thickness can vary. In the morning, it is extremely thick. In the evening, it's looser.

Yes, it is worse in the morning. It's quite thick and it takes a while to cough it up. In the evening, the frequency seems to rise to the point where i'm coughing it up every few minutes.

I had pneumonia about 5 or so years ago. I havent any any symptoms (except for, perhaps, this mucus) since then.

I have no other health issues, except that i'm slightly overweight. I'm 5 foot 5, 235 pounds.

The medicine i take is a antihistamine that i got from Riteaid. I suppose that it does dry up my nose when i use it, im not sure if it would affect my throat.

I have never smoked, drunk alcohol, or done any illegal drugs in my lifetime (something that i'm proud of).

Last edited by dposse; 08-22-2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
    dposse
    (male)

dposse HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KTBotanicals View Post
    It could very well be the anti-histamine which is causing the constant cough. Anti-histamines tend to thicken mucous and as they dry out mucous membranes. This thick mucous then drains from your sinuses into your throat and upper respiratory cavities. This is most likely why you are hacking stuff up in the morning... your sinus have been draining mucous into your lungs all night long. Additionally, with the mucous in your lungs, it makes the tiny hairs which clean your lungs, (cilia) move rather slowly in inefficiently which increases the chance of bacteria and viral infections multiplying in the lungs. I would recommend talking to your doctor about this since its a chronic issue. I would also recommend a good expectorant to help expell the excess mucous so you can ward off the chance of an infection. Good luck!

you've got to be kidding! I used the drug all the time since i was 13, and never had a problem before. And besides, this is late summer...i haven't taken the drug since, perhaps, early June.

So, the cure for my allergies is causing another problem? Wow. I feel like i'm on an episode of House...

Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
    HRWade
    (female)

HRWade HB User

dposse,

I'm proud of you for your clean living, keep it up!

I don't think the antihistamine is causing the trouble since you say you haven't taken it since June. I know you don't want to create more medical bills and I understand that, but I think you really need to see a doctor about this. This has been going on for a year and it obviously isn't getting any better. No one here can give you a diagnosis over the computer, you need to see a doctor to be checked out. Trying to find a treatment yourself may work, but it also may delay the correct treatment causing permanant damage to your lungs. Do your parents know what is going on? I'm sure that they wouldn't want you to not get treated because of your concern about money. As a parent myself, that would break my heart if my daughter did that. I'm sorry I can't give you a simple solution. Please keep us informed about what is going on.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
    dposse
    (male)

dposse HB User

Quote:
    dposse,

I'm proud of you for your clean living, keep it up!

I don't think the antihistamine is causing the trouble since you say you haven't taken it since June. I know you don't want to create more medical bills and I understand that, but I think you really need to see a doctor about this. This has been going on for a year and it obviously isn't getting any better. No one here can give you a diagnosis over the computer, you need to see a doctor to be checked out. Trying to find a treatment yourself may work, but it also may delay the correct treatment causing permanant damage to your lungs. Do your parents know what is going on? I'm sure that they wouldn't want you to not get treated because of your concern about money. As a parent myself, that would break my heart if my daughter did that. I'm sorry I can't give you a simple solution. Please keep us informed about what is going on.
    Thank you for all of your help. I wish i could go to the doctor, but my family is having a real money crisis right now. With all the drugs my parents take, the weekly and monthly doctor visits, the bills that are piling up...there's no way that i can go to the doctor. Even with three people in my house working, and me looking for a career of my own, there still wouldn't be any way that i could pay for it.

Perhaps i'll try taking the antihistamine and see if that clears anything up. If my issue gets any worse to the point where is impairs my ability to function, i'll have a talk with my parents and see what i can do.

I'm a little saddened that this thread was a total bust. But, thank you anyway for your help. I'll look in on this thread for a few more days to see if anyone else replies.

and thank you for your kind words. teenage pressure is a pain, and i'm proud that i overcome it (unlike my friends).

Closed Thread