It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• uvula removal & septoplasty

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
    gamfar
    (female)

gamfar HB User
    uvula removal & septoplasty

I'm scheduled to have surgery on 8/27/07 to correct my snoring. I am concerned about the potential long term side efffects from the uvula removal. Has anyone had speech problems, difficulty swallowing, or excessive dry throat after their uvula was removed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
    Hep
    (female)

Hep HB User
    Re: uvula removal & septoplasty

Myhusband had that same surgery about 9 years ago. He had his Uvuala removed, his tonsils, removed, his soft palate cut out, and his adnoids removed. The only side effect he has had is that sometimes his food comes out his nose. I know it sounds gross, but only certain foods, like corn, come out. It is apparently due to the back of the throat not closing and opening as it should because of the open space now. It is tolerable and not at all painful.... just weird.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
    ebrena
    Veteran
    (female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

I had my uvula removed to help with sleep apnea as well sinus issue because when ever I would get a sinus cold that uvula would swell up and hurt. Truth be told it never helped with any of the things it was intended to, I developed scar tissue in place of the uvula-now it feels like I have an uvula again. As gross as it sounds food can go up your nose because that flapper acts like a spatula and pushes food and drink down, without it it can go up it can go down, I seem to choke easier when eating I guess food doesn't get directed down the food pipe like it is intended to. I don't care now that it is gone, but if I knew I would not do it again. They laser it off with no freezing and that's a bit taxing sitting there while the Dr has your uvula in a hold with tweezer's and a laser while you must hold your mouth open and not move. Not an easy task. My Dr was getting mad at me because it really hurt and I could not help but feel the pain. Oh well it's a personal choice, you asked and I am telling the facts goodluck

Old 08-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
    neverbetter2001
    (female)

neverbetter2001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gamfar View Post
    I'm scheduled to have surgery on 8/27/07 to correct my snoring. I am concerned about the potential long term side efffects from the uvula removal. Has anyone had speech problems, difficulty swallowing, or excessive dry throat after their uvula was removed?
    Congratulations, it's one of the best things I have ever done. Hothing ever came out of my nose. It has a tough recovery but it's so worth it. You will feel much healthier and able to breathe normally. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
    jp39
    (male)

jp39 HB User

I only wish that I had my uvula removed and the soft palate trimmed (UPPP)when I had my tonsils removed and septoplasty over a year and a half ago. Blue Cross and their bean counters said my sleep apnea was not bad enough so they decided they would not pay for the UPPP.

I believe UPPP would have solved my snoring issues that returned 6 months after the surgery. I am doing the snoreplasty injections currently so I will see how it goes. The success rate is supposed to be over 80%

Closed Thread