It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy Procedure Options

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
    mjc_basset
    (female)

mjc_basset HB User
    Tonsillectomy Procedure Options

Hey everyone! I'm having a tonsillectomy in a few weeks - my surgeon says I can choose what kind of tonsillectomy I can have but he didn't give me any information on the different methods and the advantages/disadvantages for each.

All I know is that I definietely want he whole of tonsil removed. Anyone out there - if you've had a tonsillectomy could you tell me what type you had and what the benefits/risks were. I think there are 4 methods - the traditional method, coblation, lasers and... something I can't remember!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
    Cindy74
    (female)

Cindy74 HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy Procedure Options

Hi Mjc,
    I just wanted to let you know that I went to my post-op appointment Fri. and I wanted to ask my doctor the question about the tonsills growing back with the coblation procedure....... His words were, "If it is done right, the correct way, there is no chance of that happening." Then he said that my tonsills will not grow back and he assured me that every bit of my tonsills were now gone If you trust your doctor to do an excellent job then I would do what is easiest for you. I think a lot of it has to do with how well your doctor and nurses take care of you during and after. I happened to have 2 nurses on their toes doing everything they could to make it bareable for me....before I left the surgery center they had called in all of my medicines I would need to my pharmacy and gave a a dose right before I left.
    Oh, and he said in my case my pain was much more severe due to my right tonsill was completely wrapped around a muscle. This particular muscle was aggravated after he removed the tonsil and that caused a lot of jaw/ear pain. I had a lot of pain just when I would talk/yawn too. Maybe your experience would be much better (hopefully). Well, just wanted to let you know what he said about that one question you had....
    Cindy

Old 09-09-2007, 02:44 AM   #3
    mjc_basset
    (female)

mjc_basset HB User

Hi Cindy - that was a big help, thanks! You sound so lucky finding such a great surgeon. I don't feel comfortable at all with my surgeon - my initial consultation would have lasted just 5 minutes if I hadn't started asking questions! I'm actually going in for my second consultation with another surgeon on Tuesday - many would think it's totally unnecessary but I I'm nervous enough as it is and I don't want to end up with a surgeon who doesn't care and can't wait to get me out of the door (which is what it felt like - he was giving me a lot of yes/no answers). Anyway, sorry about going on about this!

I will definitely ask my new surgeon about the coblation method and find out how experienced he himself is with it - nothing worse then being someone else's guinea pig!! Having a new surgeon will mean a new date for surgery but I'm hoping it will just be a few weeks again! Does your throat feel more or less normal now (I've forgotten what day of recovery you're on!)

Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
    Cindy74
    (female)

Cindy74 HB User

Hi Mjc,

It is a slow process for me but my throat is much better by far (day 17).....I am off the Lortab and on the Advil which sort of helps me with the swelling that is left. I still have good and bad days but I can already tell a big difference in how I breathe/sleep with those nasty tonsils gone.
    Cindy

Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
    mjc_basset
    (female)

mjc_basset HB User

Hi Cindy - I just wanted to let you know that I had my consultation with my new ENT yesterday evening and thankfully it went really well. It turns out that this particular ENT favours the coblation method - he's very experienced using it and has done a lot of academic research on it too. I did ask him lots of questions and I'm going to go ahead with the coblation method - fingers crossed! My surgery is in 12 days now and I can't wait... It might be a strange reaction for someone who's been reading all these tonsillectomy pain posts for weeks now - I'm well aware of the pain but I really think it's worth it - it's the tonsil stones that are the biggest nightmare for me as they've become quite the unwanted obsession!

Anyway, sounds like you're close to the end of the recovery process now! I bet you're really glad you had your tonsils out! Just wondering, did you have the kind of surgeon that made you eat normal food straight after surgery or the kind that started you off with popsicles, jello and applesauce? Mine says I have to eat normal food otherwise they won't let me leave the hospital!!

Hope you're well!

Closed Thread