It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• When I make an attempt to swallow the food won't go down!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
    KyleG
    (male)

KyleG HB UserKyleG HB User
    Angry When I make an attempt to swallow the food won't go down!

I recently had this problem where when I actually SWALLOW, the food gets stuck in my mouth (top part of my throat right in the back of my mouth) and goes partially down but the rest is still in my mouth which makes me almost choke or when I try to swallow it just sticks in the back of my mouth and I gag very slightly. What I do then is force my tongue to maneuver the piece of food back onto my tongue away from the back of my mouth and attempt to swallow it again and usually it goes down the 2nd or 3rd try. What can be causing this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
    KyleG
    (male)

Re: When I make an attempt to swallow the food won't go down!

anyone please?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Hernia ring strictures in the esphogus.. but these are normally lower in the GI track. Tonsil issues.. or the lack of tonsils.. thyroid... dry mouth.. are you washing it dwon with water? If you are eating really dry food and trying to swallow with out liquids food will get stuck.

The GI or ENT near you could narrow things down a bit for you.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
    KyleG
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Hernia ring strictures in the esphogus.. but these are normally lower in the GI track. Tonsil issues.. or the lack of tonsils.. thyroid... dry mouth.. are you washing it dwon with water? If you are eating really dry food and trying to swallow with out liquids food will get stuck.

The GI or ENT near you could narrow things down a bit for you.

Sincerely,
    MG
    My tonsils were checked last time I went to the ENT when he scoped me and they are fine. My mouth is never dry, and it happens with any kind of food, I have alot of trouble eating spaghetti the most. I cannot use liquids to get it down because it doesn't get stuck inside my throat its right in the back of my mouth at the base of my tongue. If I did that I would choke. It feels like it gets caught on something as I swallow and try to get it into my throat.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Have you been checked for a tongue thrust? I have one and I had to get speech therapy and physical therapy to train me how to swallow.. other wise I had to literally jam my meds down the back of my throat and such. Look up tongue thrust.. when you speak especially 's' 'st' 'sk' and 't'.. does your tongue come forward out between your teeth.. you do not necessarily have a lisp with a tongue thrust your tongue just naturally pushes forward.

Place the tip of your tongue to the top of your mouth just behind your teeth.. swallow. Does your tongue push forward from the back to the front or role back from the tip to the back. If it pushes forward.. tongue thrust and you must think every time you swallow to force it to push food and stuff back properly. Not sure why it develops but my 4 soon to be 5 year old has mine.. I am working on him now with it. Who would have thought 'asked' would be so hard to pronounce properly.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-20-2007 at 06:50 AM.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
    KyleG
    (male)

Quote:
    Have you been checked for a tongue thrust? I have one and I had to get speech therapy and physical therapy to train me how to swallow.. other wise I had to literally jam my meds down the back of my throat and such. Look up tongue thrust.. when you speak especially 's' 'st' 'sk' and 't'.. does your tongue come forward out between your teeth.. you do not necessarily have a lisp with a tongue thrust your tongue just naturally pushes forward.

Place the tip of your tongue to the top of your mouth just behind your teeth.. swallow. Does your tongue push forward from the back to the front or role back from the tip to the back. If it pushes forward.. tongue thrust and you must think every time you swallow to force it to push food and stuff back properly. Not sure why it develops but my 4 soon to be 5 year old has mine.. I am working on him now with it. Who would have thought 'asked' would be so hard to pronounce properly.

Sincerely,
    MG
    Well I have an overbite and I am getting braces this monday and I also have TMJ so my jaw is sorta screwed up. The thing with my tongue about speaking "s" "sk" t" etc, I am not sure if my tongue goes between my teeth. Do you mean it sticks out between the teeth or that it pushes forward when I prounce the sounds. Since I have an overbite my tongue wouldn't be able to go between my teeth so it'd be hard to tell. I looked up the symptoms, I am definetly a mouth breather, my mouth is always open slightly. It's possible that I have that.

How would it cause my gagging problem? I looked around the internet and it mentioned nothing of it.

I read on a website that abnormal strucure of the espophagus can cause gagging but it didn't get into detail. Does anyone know anything about this?

Old 09-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WIth a tongue thrust if it is bad enough you do not get all your food back so the esphogus can take it down as needed. In stead it gets hung and you have to bring it back into your mouth before trying to push it back again. I have had to swallow something three times before to get it down. If it gets stuck on your tonsils and uvula.. gag o rama.. I have a real easy gag reflex. I have to take small bites and think about each swallow carefully.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
    KyleG
    (male)

can tongue thrust be treated?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:36 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You have to train it. Kinda like physical therapy. There are exercises your do for the swallowing reflex and such. A speech therapist can determine a tongue thrust and treat you appropriately. Most schools have a nurse or therapist that comes in to test the younger children.. I got my treatment and diagnosis in 9th grade. Now I barely notice my tongue thrust and can work around it. I do not think you can surgically correct such.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
    KyleG
    (male)

Is there anyway to correct the pursed lips and mouth breathing? Or is that impossible without treating allergies first?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kyle,

Have you been tested for sleep apnea? Look at by an ENT recently? Surgery can help with inflammed membranes and obstructions. Mouth breathing happens when you can not breathe through your nose. To fix it you have to treat inflammed membranes with antihistamines and nasal sprays.. when that fails and you have done the allergy shot thing.. surgery is the next option.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #12
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Kyle, are you going to a gastroenterologist? If not, you should see one. I could not swallow anything, not even water or my own saliva. Turned out I had no motility in the esophagus. Your esophagus has three muscles that contract to push food, liquid down, when they don't work, it is very hard to swallow, feels like you will choke. Can't hurt to ask your doc about it.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
    KyleG
    (male)

Quote:
    Kyle,

Have you been tested for sleep apnea? Look at by an ENT recently? Surgery can help with inflammed membranes and obstructions. Mouth breathing happens when you can not breathe through your nose. To fix it you have to treat inflammed membranes with antihistamines and nasal sprays.. when that fails and you have done the allergy shot thing.. surgery is the next option.

Sincerely,
    MG

I do not have any symptoms of sleep apnea and I will be starting allergy shots pretty soon, I am getting allergy tested again on monday.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
    KyleG
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1sunny1 View Post
    Kyle, are you going to a gastroenterologist? If not, you should see one. I could not swallow anything, not even water or my own saliva. Turned out I had no motility in the esophagus. Your esophagus has three muscles that contract to push food, liquid down, when they don't work, it is very hard to swallow, feels like you will choke. Can't hurt to ask your doc about it.
    I can swallow liquids and food just fine but it is just that at times solid food would get trapped in the back of my mouth right as a swallow and I have to lean forward as if I am going to choke and push the food back out into my mouth to reswallow it again.

Closed Thread