It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Globus Sensation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
    grdaniel
    (male)

grdaniel HB User
    Globus Sensation

Hello--

This problem started just over a week ago, when I decided to go out drinking with some friends. I had eaten next to nothing all day, and went out to a party with my friends. I wound up drinking too much, and since I had not eaten all day I got very sick.

I threw up A LOT that night. I threw up to the point of dry heaving, and it was very terrible. I remember thinking while I was vomiting, that I would be surprised if I didn't have a burst blood vessel in my eye from all the pressure (which I didn't). I threw up so violently that for the following 2 or 3 days the muscles between my ribs, and my diaphragm hurt. Then on about the 2nd day after the vomiting I had this feeling of a lump in my throat. The pain in my ribs quickly subsided (like I said, 2-3 days), but the globus sensation has not left me for one second. It's been over a week, and it MAY have gotten a LITTLE bit better, but not much, and I'm beginning to get worried.

I have been taking taking Prilosec OTC since the first day I felt the globus sensation, but I don't think it has helped. I've been able to eat and drink without to much problem, and food is being digested and moving through me normally. This sensation of a tight throat/lump is just so terrible. Sometimes after I drink water I will hear a gurgling sound in the back of my throat. I may have some GERD, but it has never been this bad, and I normally don't even need to take anything for it.

Are esophageal injuries due to retching/dry heaving common? And if its not bad enough to significantly interfere with eating, will it eventually heal on its own? How long should I give this problem before I seek medical help?

Also, just FYI, eating isn't the only thing that aggravates it. The other night I thought it was feeling a little better, so I sang into a microphone for 1 song. After 1 song I could feel it tightening up again and decided to quit.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
    fibrostuff
    Veteran
    (female)

fibrostuff HB User
    Re: Globus Sensation

I am experiencing the same thing. Mine started after I ate a tortilla chip that scraped my throat.

Do you have pain in the front of your throat, where your thyroid is?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
    grdaniel
    (male)

grdaniel HB User

No, I don't have pain around my thyroid. The pain isn't so much "pain" as it is a general feeling of tightness-- like the smooth muscle in my esophagus is strained. To be quite honest the best way to mimic the sensation is to take your index finger and push in on your neck, just below your thyroid.

How long has yours been going on?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
    fibrostuff
    Veteran
    (female)

fibrostuff HB User

I had it about five years ago (can't remember for how long) and it just went away. It came back this summer and hasn't gone away.

Now Im wondering if the front throat pain is even related to the esophagus pain/trouble swallowing.

When I had it in the past, both the ENT and gastro doctors couldn't really tell me anything.

Does taking malox help? It might be more coating than Prilosec.

Closed Thread