It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Hard Time Swallowing Food

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
    JDStew39
    (male)

JDStew39 HB User
    Hard Time Swallowing Food

I Have a Hard Time Swallowing Food Or water. It feels like I have a Lump in my throat and If I drink to much water at a time I can't swallow it. I have to spit it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
    aceman626
    (male)

aceman626 HB User
    Re: Hard Time Swallowing Food

same here..what to do?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

You need to see an ENT, and most likely a "swallow test" will be ordered.

My two swallow tests were administered by a speech pathologist and radiologist in a hospital. You start by sipping liquid, next yogurt, cookie, dry bite of a sandwich.
    They do a video of your swallowing and can see what is going on. I have had this done 2x.

In my case I was choking on solid food due to a bone spurs pushing into my esophogeal trac, narrowing the passage and blocking food. The radiologist didn't catch it but the ENT did when reviewing video. Surgery was required to remove bone spurs.

2nd x had it done I was choking after cervical spine surgery and was choking on liquids. I was choking due to a paralyzed vocal cord (which was a result of the spine surgery).

J

Last edited by julyg; 12-17-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
    aceman626
    (male)

aceman626 HB User

sounds like your choking is caused by certain injuries. However, I never had any injuries thought. I am not choking, just feeling nausea and gagging/throwing up. On good days (which is very very rare) I don't ahve much problem eating. I have a feeling its my tonsils, one of which is enlarged.

Closed Thread