It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Constant feeling of trapped phlegm in the throat.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
    bow57
    (male)

bow57 HB User
    Constant feeling of trapped phlegm in the throat.

(I've also posted this on the Acid Reflux and Lung/Respiratory boards):

Is there ANY way to treat this? Where is the pathology centered? I've had a laryngoscopy (nothing found on the vocal cords), endoscopy and colonoscopy (esophagus looks fine), swallowing, motility and PH tests (everything functioning; only a small amount of acid), an MRI (negative), a sinus CT scan (ditto) and other exams, yet the sensation persists. One theory is that it's minor reflux; another says it might be reactive airway disease (something in the upper trachea and/or bronchi); another suggests it might be post-nasal drip. Maybe it's a combination of all three. I am taking Prevacid, and I'll soon be buying a special elevated pillow. I might have a bronchoscopy to rule out any pulmonary involvement.

Anyone else have the same infernal problem? Is there any hope? Or is this sensation permanent, the manifestation of invisible scarring or secretion or somesuch? Thanks, Dave

Last edited by bow57; 12-26-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
    aceman626
    (male)

aceman626 HB User
    Re: Constant feeling of trapped phlegm in the throat.

I have a similar problem, altho just on one side. My guess is, at least for me, is that it has to do with the tonsil. The reason being that for me, on one side my tonsil has disappeared, and I ahve absolutely no problems on that side.

On the other side, I have an enlarged tonsil. That side constantly give me a gag feeling and also nausea, plus also constant phlegm, only on that side and only around that tonsil.

So for me I am almost sure it has to do with taht one enlarged tonsil, and I am looking into tonsilllectomy.

How are your tonsils?

Last edited by aceman626; 12-16-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
    bow57
    (male)

bow57 HB User
    Re: Constant feeling of trapped phlegm in the throat.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aceman626 View Post
    I have a similar problem, altho just on one side. My guess is, at least for me, is that it has to do with the tonsil. The reason being that for me, on one side my tonsil has disappeared, and I ahve absolutely no problems on that side.

On the other side, I have an enlarged tonsil. That side constantly give me a gag feeling and also nausea, plus also constant phlegm, only on that side and only around that tonsil.

So for me I am almost sure it has to do with taht one enlarged tonsil, and I am looking into tonsilllectomy.

How are your tonsils?

Hi ...

Had my tonsils out when I was 5. I'm thinking that I might have some upper pulmonary thing going on. Thanks for responding ...

Closed Thread