It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Feel lightheaded all the time

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
    Michael67
    (male)

Michael67 HB User
    Feel lightheaded all the time

I'm 40 years old and in pretty good health. My mother and brother have suffered from allergies their whole lives. I have never had allergies. At least that I know of.

Believe it or not, this is the very short version of the story:

In November of 2006 I felt what I believed to be a "head cold" coming on. It made me feel lightheaded, like I was in a "brain fog." My head wasn't clear. I though to myself, "It will go away in a few days." It never did. It was CONSTANT... from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed, I felt lightheaded. I also felt pressure behind my nose and eyes.

I did not feel dizzy or out-of-balance - just lightheaded.

I went to the doctor in January 2007. I told him, "I feel lightheaded all the time. I also feel pressure behind my nose and around my eyes. Do you think I have a sinus infection? And if so, might it be causing my lightheadedness?" He looked in my nose and said, "I see some redness in your nasal cavity. So you might have a sinus infection. I'll prescribe some antibiotics for it. I'll also order a blood test. And let's get an MRI of your brain, too."

I took the antibiotics; they didn't help. The blood work came out normal. The MRI of the brain was normal.

In March of 2007 I went to see a neurologist. He didn't find any problems.

In April 2007 I went to an ENT. He gave me a prescription of Nasonex.

In June of 2007 I went to see an allergist. He asked, "Are you sneezing? Does your nose run all the time?" I told him, "No... just head pressure, fatigue, and lightheadedness." He told me to get more sleep.

In September of 2007 I went to see another allergist. This time I received a "pr!ck test." The results were negative. He said, "Sorry, you're not allergic to anything. Have a nice day."

Thinking it could be a pinched nerve in my neck, I went to a chiropractor in November of 2007. Received seven treatments over a three week period. It didn't help.

Over the past year I've also tried sinus rinsing (Neti pot), Nasonex, OTC decongestants, OTC antihistamines, and vitamins. None gave relief.

Today:

My symptoms have not subsided... it's now December 2007, over 1 YEAR since all this started. I still feel lightheaded (not dizzy) all the time, and I still feel pressure in my head all the time. My ears also ring one or twice a day. Each episode lasts about 30 seconds.

I have no idea where to turn at this point. I'm somewhat apprehensive to go back to my primary care physician, as he has no idea what the problem is. He probably thinks I'm a hypochondriac at this point.

I have no idea what the problem is. Could it still be an allergy? A mold allergy, perhaps? Is it possible I have developed an allergy at this point in my life that the pr!ck test did not discover? Or could it be inner-ear related?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
    Nothevacume
    (female)

Nothevacume HB User
    Re: Feel lightheaded all the time

I Have the same problem. Do you get tired, and irritated because of the lightheadedness? I feel like I have to faint sometimes but I never do. Ive felt like this for 1 year now, I go to see a nuerologist in January. I went to the doc. and told him im constantly light headed when I wake up in the morning and when I go to bed at night it never stops. I hate it. The doctour I go to is so stupid he gave me the run around for about 6 months, now he finally agreed to let me see a ENT and a nuerologist, the ENt said it might be something so simple that all I need is tubes put in my ears. Im hopeing thats the case because I hate feeling like this, I cant even focous at work. Do you feel like this too? Have you found out why you feel like this?

Old 12-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
    ny01
    (male)

ny01 HB User

I too had similar symptoms and still do. It took me about 6 months to a year, but I found out that it was sensitivities to chemicals. I had that same damn foggy feeling : brain fog. It finally hit me when I was having a good day, and then my boss walked in with his heavy cologne. Poof, horrible brain fog. Then step by step I realized things like, perfume, paint, anything with formaldehyde sent me into a haze. Avoidance and better diet have helped me the most. Best of luck in your search. It also could be food allergy. I met a professor who had the same symptoms and had a blood allergy test that told him he was allergic to corn. Stopped the corn, brain fog went away. He actually retired due to the brain fog and was able to return back to work at the University of California.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael67 View Post
    I'm 40 years old and in pretty good health. My mother and brother have suffered from allergies their whole lives. I have never had allergies. At least that I know of.

Believe it or not, this is the very short version of the story:

In November of 2006 I felt what I believed to be a "head cold" coming on. It made me feel lightheaded, like I was in a "brain fog." My head wasn't clear. I though to myself, "It will go away in a few days." It never did. It was CONSTANT... from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed, I felt lightheaded. I also felt pressure behind my nose and eyes.

I did not feel dizzy or out-of-balance - just lightheaded.

I went to the doctor in January 2007. I told him, "I feel lightheaded all the time. I also feel pressure behind my nose and around my eyes. Do you think I have a sinus infection? And if so, might it be causing my lightheadedness?" He looked in my nose and said, "I see some redness in your nasal cavity. So you might have a sinus infection. I'll prescribe some antibiotics for it. I'll also order a blood test. And let's get an MRI of your brain, too."

I took the antibiotics; they didn't help. The blood work came out normal. The MRI of the brain was normal.

In March of 2007 I went to see a neurologist. He didn't find any problems.

In April 2007 I went to an ENT. He gave me a prescription of Nasonex.

In June of 2007 I went to see an allergist. He asked, "Are you sneezing? Does your nose run all the time?" I told him, "No... just head pressure, fatigue, and lightheadedness." He told me to get more sleep.

In September of 2007 I went to see another allergist. This time I received a "pr!ck test." The results were negative. He said, "Sorry, you're not allergic to anything. Have a nice day."

Thinking it could be a pinched nerve in my neck, I went to a chiropractor in November of 2007. Received seven treatments over a three week period. It didn't help.

Over the past year I've also tried sinus rinsing (Neti pot), Nasonex, OTC decongestants, OTC antihistamines, and vitamins. None gave relief.

Today:

My symptoms have not subsided... it's now December 2007, over 1 YEAR since all this started. I still feel lightheaded (not dizzy) all the time, and I still feel pressure in my head all the time. My ears also ring one or twice a day. Each episode lasts about 30 seconds.

I have no idea where to turn at this point. I'm somewhat apprehensive to go back to my primary care physician, as he has no idea what the problem is. He probably thinks I'm a hypochondriac at this point.

I have no idea what the problem is. Could it still be an allergy? A mold allergy, perhaps? Is it possible I have developed an allergy at this point in my life that the pr!ck test did not discover? Or could it be inner-ear related?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
    Nothevacume
    (female)

Nothevacume HB User

Another thing I forgot to mention before, when I went to my reguler doc. he looked in my nose and said there was redness and he to thought it was a sinus infection, he gave me antibiotics but it never helped. Ive also had to ware a heart moniter to work do a ckg, many blood tests for thyroids, low iron, anemik (sp), and a blood allergie test, all Negative! I understand what your going thrue and it sucks so bad that no one knows what it is, I go back to the ENT on the 2nd and hopefully hell figure it out, its been a year of constant lightheadedness and ive forgoten what it feels like to not feel like this, I truely hate it. And im 21 by the way.

Last edited by Nothevacume; 12-29-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
    Nothevacume
    (female)

Nothevacume HB User

Did you ever find out what was wrong michael67?

Old 01-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
    kristylynn10
    (female)

kristylynn10 HB User

I have almost the exact same thing...

My symptoms have been going on for about 3 months now. It started off slow with random light-headedness and a little nausea here and there. It usually went away after eating, so I wondered if I had a thyroid or sugar issue. I went to my family doctor who did blood work and everything came back normal. Almost immediately afterwards my symtoms became more noticable. I began getting dizzy spells and pressure behind my left eye and temple and the light-headedness became a constant presence. Since then I've been diagnosed with an inner ear infection, 2 rounds of antibiotics and my ears cleaned out of wax. None of this has made any difference. Then I went to the eye doctor because my left eye felt so odd. He found no problems but referred me to a neuro-ophlolmologist who also found nothing out of the ordinary. He said it sounded sinus related to him, ( I'm not experiencing any kind of congestion or anything) but has scheduled me for an MRI this coming Tuesday. I'm very nervous...not about getting it done, but finding out the results. I have myself worried that I'm a terminal case...that I have a brain tumor or something equally distressing. I'm sure the anxiety is not helping my symptoms. I just want to feel normal again. I have a 9 month old son and I feel like I'm not enjoying him as much as I could be because of this. I truly sympathize with all of you who have been going through this for over a year! God bless

Old 01-14-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

hi you can put me on the list ,iv been like it for four, years mine started with pressure in the temple and left eye twiching,problems in shops with lighting,and to many things on the shelves,constant fatiege,had blood tests doc said iron was low,i thought at last im going to feel better,a year later,fatiege not as bad,iron going up and down, ,but face pressure every day,doc looked in my ear and said badley retracted ear drum,waiting to see ent,iv just got over a cold,and the pressure has now spread to my top teeth and neck,doc gave me antibiotics,been on them for five days teeth feel a little bit better but its not gone,and yes i feel spaced out constantly i sort of go in to a trance and just staire,its been one long struggle im 48 and am also in peri,love shirley

Old 01-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
    matty_boston
    (male)

matty_boston HB User

Kristylynn,

Just wodering what the results of your MRI were?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristylynn10 View Post
    I have almost the exact same thing...

My symptoms have been going on for about 3 months now. It started off slow with random light-headedness and a little nausea here and there. It usually went away after eating, so I wondered if I had a thyroid or sugar issue. I went to my family doctor who did blood work and everything came back normal. Almost immediately afterwards my symtoms became more noticable. I began getting dizzy spells and pressure behind my left eye and temple and the light-headedness became a constant presence. Since then I've been diagnosed with an inner ear infection, 2 rounds of antibiotics and my ears cleaned out of wax. None of this has made any difference. Then I went to the eye doctor because my left eye felt so odd. He found no problems but referred me to a neuro-ophlolmologist who also found nothing out of the ordinary. He said it sounded sinus related to him, ( I'm not experiencing any kind of congestion or anything) but has scheduled me for an MRI this coming Tuesday. I'm very nervous...not about getting it done, but finding out the results. I have myself worried that I'm a terminal case...that I have a brain tumor or something equally distressing. I'm sure the anxiety is not helping my symptoms. I just want to feel normal again. I have a 9 month old son and I feel like I'm not enjoying him as much as I could be because of this. I truly sympathize with all of you who have been going through this for over a year! God bless

Closed Thread