It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Ears still feel clogged...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
    wardnine
    (male)

wardnine HB User
    Ears still feel clogged...

A couple of weeks ago I came down with a really bad cold/sore throat. I thought about going to the doctor for it but decided to just tough it out... after a few days there was also some slight dizziness and ear pain/clogging that came with it. About a week after I came down with it these symptoms subsided for the most part but my ears still felt very clogged. I went to the doctor 3 days ago (Wednesday) and she told me both of my ears looked very infected so she prescribed me an antibiotic (Augmentin). I've been taking that for the past 3 days but my ears still feel very clogged... I'm concerned about this because 1) in the past when I have had an infection I feel noticeable improvement within a couple of days of taking antibiotics and 2) I've had slight/moderate low frequency hearing loss my whole life and had over the past couple of months been happened to have been seeing a hearing doctor about it because I'd noticed my hearing has gotten slightly worse recently).

I'm having a very hard time hearing anything anyone is saying to me (and even having a hard time listening to television despite the fact that I have it turned up to full volume) so am wondering how long it will take for my ears to clear up? I just find this odd because my ears have never felt clogged for this length of time before and I've never had lingering effects from a cold/sore throat for this length of time (it's been two weeks and I still have a small cough and slightly sore throat). I'm also wondering if this may have something to do with the prednisone I'd been taking (for eczema) on and off for about a month? I stopped taking prednisone a couple weeks ago but heard it can effect the ability of the body to fight infections...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User
    Re: Ears still feel clogged...

I have the same thing although mine is coming from sinus congestion. I too am on augmentin since Friday and still no change. Maybe it just takes awhile for it to work. I am also on a decongestant. I am going to an ENT on Wednesday. I don't feel terrible, just have a very clogged ear - can hear, but have a terrible ringing in it constantly. Hope you feel better and will let you know what the ENT says.

glowing4

Old 01-13-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Ears still feel clogged...

For both sinus and ear infections it can take a while for the antibiotics to kick in, particularly if (as wardnine indicates), the infection has a big head start. I've had it take up to a week before I've seen any improvement.

Wardnine, you might try an oral decongestant like Sudafed to see if that helps clear your ears (but whatever you do, don't stop taking the Augmentin).

As for the prednisone, if you weren't taking it daily over a long period of time, your immune system should bounce back quickly...it's long-term sustained use that can cause real problems with immune suppression and other side effects.

Closed Thread