It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• I'm very scared - tonsils and adenoids removed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
    Twinklez81
    (female)

Twinklez81 HB User
    I'm very scared - tonsils and adenoids removed

I have to have my tonsils and adenoids removed because I have sleep apnea and my tonsils and adenoids are the cause. I'm scared to death. I've heard the recovery is very painful

I'm 35 years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: I'm very scared - tonsils and adenoids removed

I had mine out when I was the same age as you and I too was terrified; however, I was really tired of all the problems those nasty tonsils were causing me. The pain was manageable, I didn't have any issues with bleeding (my fear), and it doesn't last forever. And I immediately felt some improvement -- I could breathe better, so that was a plus. And once I was on the road to recovery, I wondered why the heck I hadn't done it a LOT sooner.

Allow yourself time to recover -- at least two weeks, probably three. Read some of the guidelines people have posted here. You'll do fine!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
    Twinklez81
    (female)

Twinklez81 HB User

Thank you Rata for the advice and you are right. Thats what I try to keep focus on is the improvements because right now I suffer with severe day time sleepiness which causes a lot of depression. I have zero energy and I'm irritable all the time. The doctor said in my sleep study, I stopped breathing about 16 times per hour, and that scared me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
    rachelrocks
    (female)

rachelrocks HB User

I had my tonsillectomy a week ago today and it has been an interesting week to say the least. Don't worry about the surgery at all, that is over before you know it and your on your way home. If you can get some instructions from your ent before the surgery for what to expect afterwards it will help a lot. I left the hospital knowing virtually nothing, and the most I've learned at this point has come from the internet and websites like this. The pain afterwards is uncomfortable, but also manageable if you drink and take your pain meds. I only had one night when I cried, and that was in the middle of the night when your drying out anyhow. Good luck and no worries, it'll be worth all of the benefits from having the surgery.

Closed Thread