It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• I went back to the ENT consultant today.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User
    I went back to the ENT consultant today.

I have had what I feel are sinus pains for the last 18 months, I saw this ENT consultant in Nov 2006 and he did a CT scan and all was normal, nothing at all wrong so he put it down to neuralgia. I was getting facial pain and blocked ear feeling.

I then saw him last year due to the ear pressure, my GP refered me back to him but again he said my ear was fine, no fluid etc....

Tonight I went back, I didn't go to my GP just decided to pay and go back off my own back. I have had sinusitis last summer, followed by bronchitis and since then cold after cold (doesnt help having 3 snotty kids this winter). He said he would examine me again (he must of thought 'oh my god not her again', lol) he said my left nostril looked allergic?? but left ear fine. I explained to him i suffer daily with pain over left nostril, left cheek, left ear feels full of pressure and left nostril is sometimes blocked.

He said no need for another scan and he said if i had chronic sinusitis id have be ouzing gunk out of my nose and not be able to breath but i can breath freely mostly and ive no gunk from my nose. He said with my left nostril looking allergic its more likely to be justt an allergy so to use a saline solution every day. I am just worried what if ive developed chronic sinusitis since hat bout of sinusitis and bronchitis in the summer and he is missing it by not scanning it but he seemed adament there was no need for another scan.

Should I just accept this? My gp says to take pain killers daily but im sick of doing that, it can't be good for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User
    Re: I went back to the ENT consultant today.

Have you considered TMJ as the problem? TMJ can cause a blocked ear feeling, sinus pressure, etc. You might want to check with your dentist and see if your bite is correct.

glowing4

Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Well its funny you should say that coz I have suffered TMJ on and off (I also am quite a tense/anxious person) and my GP said i was very very tense.

ONce I had it so bad I couldn't open my mouth for 2 weeks it was terrible.

Last week a family member passed away suddenly, last week I did notice my sinuses felt alot worse so I wonder if it is stress related?

Thanks so much.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

It certainly sounds like it could be partially stress related. Stress can do a great many things to us including tensing up muscles which then creates symptoms. And, if you already have experienced TMJ I would consider that as a source too. I share many of the same symptoms and a sinus CT can and examination by an ENT showed no serious problems. Given all of my recent dental work, TMJ makes sense. It sounds like it makes a great deal of sense for you too. I am sorry about your recent loss - that is very upsetting and will cause tension in the face and head muscles.

Try some heat or ice packs on your face - which ever feels better. Try some saline nasal spray. Try to relax your facial muscles - tell them to relax, let them go.

If your doctors are telling you they can't find anything seriously wrong, then try to trust them. Also a trip to the dentist might help to see if your bite is correct. In the meantime, do all that you can to relax a bit - not easy, I know, but a warm bath, and crawling into bed trying to let things go can help a great deal. I don't mean to make it sound trite, just that sometimes we need to remind ourselves to baby ourselves just as we do our children.

glowing4

Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Thanks very much,

THe ENT has given me a saline rinse to use, im abit of a wimp though when it comes to flushing things with drops, yuk! Goes through me.

He did mention allergies or stress, maybe its abit of both. Today my right side has felt bunged up so it is jumping sides again it seems.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

The sinus rinses are not bad and they are soothing. Give it a try. Don't drive your self crazy trying to come up with answers. I know what that feels like! Trust in your doctor, get some rest, try to relax as much as possible, take a good vitamin, and give yourself some time. All sounds very trite, but sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

glowing4

Old 03-03-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
    Essica
    (female)

Essica HB User

Thanks so much for your support.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
    girlcat36
    (female)

girlcat36 HB User

I was going to suggest TMJ too. I have many of the same symptoms and just got diagnosed with it yesterday. And yes it is absolutely stress related.

Closed Thread