It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Feeling better after almost 4 years of suffering

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
    nosila
    (female)

nosila HB User
    Feeling better after almost 4 years of suffering

I had suffered with chronic sinus problems for almost 4 years! I believe the problem was a fungal infection. I tried everything from antibiotics, decongestants, nasal steroid sprays to more holistic remedies like wild oregano oil (which did help some) and Sinuswars remedies (waste of money). I use the internet to try and find out any info I can that will help my situation and came across a website that explained about probiotics. I decided to try this and it worked almost instantly! I am using 3lac (probiotic), but there are many brands available. Some other brands of probiotics instruct you to make some drastic changes to your diet and 3lac does not, so that's why I chose this one.

I hope this info helps some of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
    thewarrior
    (female)

thewarrior HB User
    Re: Feeling better after almost 4 years of suffering

Can you tell me more about this Product?
    Where do you get it, etc?

Thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
    thewarrior
    (female)

thewarrior HB User

I started to do alittle research......is the 3lac the same or better then acidophilus pills?
    Do you have any further information on Fungal Sinus Infestions?

Thanks

Old 05-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
    violet6
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

It's odd, I've read that fungal infections tend to only infect folks with immune system problems and also that almost all sinus infections are fungal infections...not sure which is correct! I think there are also some prescription meds for this problem. I'm very interested in learning more about this. Is Culturelle about the same as what you are taking? I'm very glad to hear that you are doing so much better!

Violet

Old 05-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Violet:

Your question about the role of fungus in sinus infections is a very controversial area for ENT doctors. First of all, most acute sinus infections are caused by bacteria (acute meaning that it's a short-term occasional problem that goes away when treated). A study done several years ago found that most people with chronic recurring sinus infections had some evidence of fungal involvement in the infection, but the research found similar levels of fungal involvement in people who didn't have chronic sinus infections.

The argument going on right now is whether the findings just demonstrated that mold is everywhere so we all have some fungus in our nasal passages, or if some people react differently to the mold causing the infections and a condition called allergic fungal sinusitis (my ENT and I have had several conversations about this and he's not convinced that fungus plays much of a role).

The bigger problem is that oral medications for treating fungal infections have significant side effects, and they haven't quite figured out how to get the medication into the sinuses effectively.

This is one of those topics that's definitely not definitively answered yet but you can probably find lots of information if you do some research.

Closed Thread