It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Getting my tonsils out March 19th..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
    lisalikesmakeup
    (female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User
    Getting my tonsils out March 19th..

I'm 21.. with huge tonsils (One has folds and the other has crypts.) I wake up with sore throats and tonsil stones.. I believe he is using the coblation method. I'm sort of scared, but this isnt my first operation (had several kidney operations). I have a week off from classes and I'm hoping to go back without missing time but we'll see. Any recomendations? Advice? I go for my pre-op apointment with my doctor on tuesday. I've read that tonsil removal can improve a lot of things including snoring.. anything else?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
    kittywake
    (female)

kittywake HB User
    Re: Getting my tonsils out March 19th..

I am 23 and get mine out this Wednesday (March 12th). My doctor gave me a doctors note for two weeks off work. I am hoping that that will be enough for me to get better. I have a job where I am constantly lifting boxes and walking back and forth. Heh.

I didn't get a pre-op appointment. They just gave me information over the phone last week.

I'll be posting on here after my surgery. Heh.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
    bookworm85
    (female)

bookworm85 HB User

Hi, I'm 22 and I just had my tonsils out on March 4, but I also had a septoplasty and a polyp removed. So my experience might be a little different but I will still share. Try to be as hydrated as possible pre-surgery, especially if you're not staying overnight in the hospital. If your doctor has already given you all post-op medications, make sure that you have them filled beforehand. You will need a friend or family memeber to be with you for at least the first 24 hours. Also make sure you get a humidfier, for me, the cool-mist worked best, but some do prefer a warm-mist humidifer.

I guess I'll share my experiences so far. Due to hospital rules, I had to stay overnight in the hospital. Which honestly, I didn't mind. Surgery lasted a total of an hour. The worse part was when I came out of anesthesia and was nauseous and in a little pain. Morphine and something else and I was out like a light. In the recovery room, I was given a personal cool-mist humidifer that I had to wear at all times unless eating or using the bathroom. It helped a lot and kept both my throat and nose moist while I slept. Also, my doctor had me on a continuous IV drip to pump me full of fluids. It wasn't a lot of fun going to the bathroom every hour but believe me, it was well worth it. I was also put on a normal diet right from the get go. My doctor said that if you're getting the proper nutrition then your body will heal quicker. I spent most of my first day just sleeping and using the bathroom. I don't remember much of it, but thats probably from the meds and anesthesia. It might be different for others, but I was able to eat a slice of french toast and a sausage right before I was released from the hospital. It took awhile and I couldn't really taste it, but there wasn't a lot of discomfort.

At home, my mom took care of me for the first day. After that, I was able to do small things on my own, like keeping track of my medecine. On day 4 post-op, I did have a bad reaction to the liquid vicodin I was on, so now I'm on darvocet. My best advice after the surgery is to drink, drink, and drink some more. I actually found the best time to drink or eat was 15 or 20 minutes after I took my pain meds, but I was on liquid, if you're on pill form that time frame might be different. Minimal if any pain.

Being 9 days post-op, my biggest problem right now is I can feel the scabs in the back of my throat. Its like having a piece of toast stuck back there that you can't shake. Not the greatest feeling in the world, but as long as I'm drinking lots it's not too big of a deal. My best advice would be to stay ahead of pain meds, eat as normal as a diet as you can, and drink until you can't drink no more and then still keep drinking. Ice chips are good, especially if you can't tolerate swallowing large amounts.

I hope this helps, even if just a little. If you would like me to clarify anything I would be more then happy to do so. Good luck on your surgery and keep us updated please.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
    morgansmama
    (female)

morgansmama HB User

I'm 34 and just had my tonsils out March 6. My dr used the coblation method. It hasn't been too bad all in all. I went into the OR at 8:45 AM and I was only in there for just under 15 mins. Afterwards I was able to talk and drink with just a sm amt of pain. I went home after 2 hours. The dr told me the first couple days I would probably be surprised how good I feel, but then patients get worse before they feel better as the healing process starts at about day 3-4. As long as I took my pain med every 4 hours, the pain was tolerable. I won't lie and say it is all sunshine and roses, but from what I've read, this method is soooo much better than other methods. One thing that drove me crazy was not being able to sleep well. Your uvula will be swollen, making it difficult to sleep w/o being propped up. I would wake up feeling like someone was literally choking me and I couldn't understand why. I called my ENT and he said it's normal and I just had to sleep propped up for awhile until the swelling goes down. I would recommend lots of popcicles/ice chips and periodically keeping an ice pack on your neck/throat to reduce the swelling. The popcicles are very soothing! I had Lortab elixer for my pain med and I found that it would make me very sick if I took it before bed. I threw up the AM of day 3 and then again day 5. After the 2nd time, I quit taking it altogether because I couldn't deal with the pain of throwing up again. I switched to liquid extra strength Tylenol for a few days and then was able to swallow reg Tylenol pills. Eating hasn't been much of a problem for me, I just have to eat sm bites and eat slowly. On day 4 I ate a burger. But you have to stick to soft foods. I wasn't always so great at it, but you have to keep drinking and keep yourself hydrated no matter what. So I'm 8 days post op and the last few days have been pretty good, just have mild pain on one side of my throat only when I swallow and some ear pain on the same side. I have stretched out how often I take my pain meds, usually every 6 hrs. I can feel the scabs somewhat, mostly in the morning I have lots of mucus and I cough it up with some of the scabs. I know it sounds gross, but again, it's not that bad. So the dr had me off work for 2 weeks (which would be next Th) but I am going back on Monday. I work as a loan officer for a CU, so I think i'll be ok. Hope this helps!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
    kittywake
    (female)

kittywake HB User

Good to hear you're doing good. Sounds like your healing up pretty quick.

I've been posting my experience on a thread I started. So far it is pretty uch what I expected.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
    lisalikesmakeup
    (female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User

Thanks everyone. I'm getting them out wendsday and I have to be there at 6:30 AM. So I'm assuming I'm the first case of the day! Hopefully all goes well. He is using the coblation too, so hopefully all goes well. He also said he is going to give me a shot of steroids while in sugery to help with swelling and pain.. anyone ever have that?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
    zack1npa1n
    (male)

zack1npa1n HB User

i am 17 turning 18 on march 31st, i just had my tonsills out on the morning of the 11th and it has been absolutley horrible! i think the hardest part for me is the phlegm in my throat, it has been a huge pain in the butt! i cant sleep at night or during the day hardly because of the medicine. i dont like popsicles because they are too hard, my mouth is very sore. i guess from what ive heard i need to drink water pretty much untill i puke. oh yeah and the spit is insane, my mouth constantly waters and is super annoying!!! so if anyone is dealing with the conditions like mine and has any advice, or if some one needs advice with their problem please respond!!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
    kittywake
    (female)

kittywake HB User

I had my tonsils out on the 12th. I had the phlegm problem the first day and most of the night. Now it is much better. I have been drinking water by the tonne and drinking soup broth.

I had to stop taking the Tylenol 3 because it may have been causing a rash on my arms. Plus, it was bugging my stomach. I am now taking regular Tylenol around the clock. 2 pills every 4 hours.

I find the hardest part is not being able to eat the foods that I want to eat. Heh.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
    bookworm85
    (female)

bookworm85 HB User

I wish that I could help with your phlegm problem. I didn't have that problem, however, spitting was all but impossible for me for the first couple of days. The only thing I can think of is try drinking more water, that might help. If its hard getting the water down, then maybe lots of ice chips. Have you tried sleeping in a recliner or propped up somehow? That helped me a little, or at least I was able to get a couple hours of sleep at a time.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
    lisalikesmakeup
    (female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User

Hello All!

My stay at the surgery center was quick and easy!

I got there at 7 AM and was out by 9:30 AM!

I'm not feeling too bad.. Just feel like I have bumps where the tonsils were.. I'm too scared to look at the white in my throat, maybe tommorrow. It only hurts to swallow but I've had some jello at the center and some serbert and applesauce at home. Both didnt feel good to go down really..Ice chips feel the best. But I have to have something in my tummy so!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
    kittywake
    (female)

kittywake HB User

Wow, that was a short stay. Heh. I spent the better part of the day in the hospital. Heh.

Glad to hear you're doing good so far. Keep up updated.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #12
    lisalikesmakeup
    (female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User

Day 2.

I didnt take any pain pills past 6 pm last night, major mistake. I didnt get to sleep until 6 Am and woke up at 8 Am. Worst night and pain ever. Needless to say, lesson was learned and I took my pain pills after I woke up and will continue to without slacking. I taste a little blood in my mouth but when I spit I see no blood.. so I guess that's normal. When do scabs start falling off?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #13
    kittywake
    (female)

kittywake HB User

I have needed the pain medicine the whole time, non-stop. I have been getting up twice in the middle of the night to take them. Heh.

I think mine started coming off on day 5. I still have them though. I wish someone could tell me how long it takes for them to come off.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
    bookworm85
    (female)

bookworm85 HB User

I am on day 16 and I still have scabs. My doctor said it could be a couple more weeks before they're completely off. I can still feel them, especially in the morning when I haven't had anything to drink all night.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #15
    kittywake
    (female)

kittywake HB User

Are they still painful? Or can you just feel them? I don't care if they stay a while so long as they stop hurting. Heh.

Closed Thread