It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Complications After Ear Operation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
    Susie333
    (female)

Susie333 HB User
    Complications After Ear Operation

I went into hospital 10 days ago for a "straight-forward" revised myringoplasty (graft to ear drum). However, after operation surgeon told me that he had to carry out widening of the ear canal (canaloplasty I think it's called) before he could do the myringoplasty. I felt fine straight after the operation and was discharged next day.

Within 24hrs I was in extreme pain and area of face and skull around the ear very painful and some swelling. Ear bleeding and discharging (despite packing in place). I rang the hospital and was told that I could expect pain and swelling for a few days. Feeling like a wimp I decided to put up with the agony. The pain never subsided and I could not control it even with maximum pain killers every day.

8 days later (two days ago) I had packing and stitches removed. I was in agony and blood and discharge continued to stream from my ear. Consultant said I had a bad infection and prescribed strong antibiotics and ear drops. I have to return to hospital tomorrow to be monitored.

My concerns are: despite antibiotics I am still in the same pain; I have a strange metallic taste on the right side of my tongue (operation was to right ear); I can not open my jaw very wide; I have raging tinnitus; right side of skull and ear extremely painful to touch. Has anyone else had these complications and how were they resolved?

I should add that I have had two previous ear operations (more major than myringoplasty) and didn't experience these problems.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone with similar experience and how long it was before they started to feel better.

Susie

Last edited by Susie333; 04-27-2008 at 04:18 AM. Reason: additional information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread