It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• CHRONIC POST NASAL DRIP. Weary after weeks, need help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
    irena
    (female)

irena HB User
    Unhappy CHRONIC POST NASAL DRIP. Weary after weeks, need help.

Hi, can anyone tell me what I can use to get rid of this clear and constant nasal drip which keeps me up at night from coughing. Sometimes making me wheeze. I have tried everything short of antibiotics, as i dont think it is an infection, the drip being clear, but always draining, and being in the back of my throat. It's so wearing me down all of this coughing. I have used cold and allergy pills, saline sprays, cough medicine. But it still continues, even in the UK this past couple of weeks, so I've sort of ruled out allergies, as it started here, and was no better there, and i came back with it. Do you think those irrigation systems work that I have just seen in the posts. Any help you can give me, would be so appreciated.

Irena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: CHRONIC POST NASAL DRIP. Weary after weeks, need help.

Two thoughts - first of all, the irrigation systems can really help but I'd recommend a NeilMed SinusRinse bottle rather than one of the much more expensive mechanical irrigation systems. It's much cheaper, easy to use and can be very effective if used regularly.

The second thing I'd encourage you to consider is if your post nasal drip could be the result of acid reflux. Post nasal drip that isn't the result of allergies is commonly caused by acid reflux and can be easily treated with PrilosecOTC (which is available without a prescription). You mention cold and allergy pills - I'd recommend taking Zyrtec every day for at least a week, if it's allergies you should see some improvement - if that doesn't work, try PrilosecOTC for two weeks to try and rule out acid reflux.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
    Rita27
    (female)

Rita27 HB User

Hi, I have the same problem. I have tried the nasal rinses, they don't seem to help me. I had allergy shots for 10 years, I still get it. I have taken different allergy medications. I also had sinus surgery.

I don't know what to do anymore. I just try to live with it. I know how depressing it is.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:50 AM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

For both of you I thought I'd re-post this list of common symptoms of a condition called LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux) that can be confused with allergies but is actually caused by acid from the stomach irritating the esophagus and causing allergy, and even asthma-like symptoms.

* Post nasal drip
    * Continual throat clearing
    * Chronic cough
    * Hoarseness
    * Difficulty Swallowing
    * Constant sensation of something in the throat
    * Swallowed food comes back up

Several people on this board - including myself - have had their symptoms improve dramatically or disappear when their LPR or acid reflux was treated with PrilosecOTC or other "Proton Pump Inhibitors". In my case, I was miserable for a year until I got a second opinion from an allergist who re-tested me, told me that none of my allergies were severe enough to be causing the congestion, post-nasal drip and wheezing that I was experiencing, and put me on Nexium for 30 days. About 90% of my symptoms were gone in 7 days.

Obviously everyone is different and your symptoms may be stubborn allergies or something else, but you might consider whether LPR or acid reflux could be causing your symptoms and try treating it with Prilosec OTC (which you can get without a prescription at any drug or grocery store.

Closed Thread