It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Post tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
    jezka62
    (female)

jezka62 HB User
    Post tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy pain

For those of you who've had a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy as a adult, during which days was your pain the worst and did you experience any severe pain on just one side of your throat/ears? I thought I was doing so well...got through the first week without any significant pain and just on tylenol. Then, along comes day 9 and I'm dying. I'm now on day 12 and woke up with the worst pain I've had so far. I feel like every time I swallow a pin is being forced from my ear down to my throat. My tounge is swollen and I keep having sharp pains in my ears, jaw, and throat. It's excruciating! I just saw my ENT yesterday and I don't have an infection, but the pain is just unbearable today. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what helped to relieve the pain?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
    nomoretonsils07
    (male)

nomoretonsils07 HB User
    Re: Post tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy pain

I had a tonsillectomy and septoplasty around this time last year. At the time, I was 37. They say the older you are....the worse it is....so I expected the worse.

Since your post was 3 days ago....I assume by now, you may be over all the pain? For me....by day 9....I was pretty much back to normal. I was told that was not normal...but maybe I was just lucky. Days 5-9 were all very similar for me.

I had a pain medicine of some kind during the process which helped alot. I wish I could remember what it was. I tried not to take it as there are side effects always with medicines, but a few nights, I had to take some to get through some of the pain. I think it was a codine of some kind. I am sorry...I cannot remember. I just know...it knocked me out and put me to sleep pretty quickly.

Hope this helps. Again....my situation is a little different because I had throat and nose. I already had my adenoids out at an earlier age.

Closed Thread