It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Had visit with my ENT about getting me off OTC nasal spray....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
    morgansmama
    (female)

morgansmama HB User
    Talking Had visit with my ENT about getting me off OTC nasal spray....

I was so nervous, but my dr is very nice and was great. He put me on a 9 day treatment of Prednisone and also gave me Flonase. He gave me enough refills of the Flonase if I want to keep using it for allergies. He told me if I don't feel better within 2 weeks and feel like I still need my OTC spray, he may look at surgical options. Oh gosh I hope not. He removed my tonsils in March and I am not really up for surgery again. He talked about how he sometimes has to cauterize inside the nasal passages. He also said I have a slight deviated septum which doesn't help. But all in all it was a good visit and I'm SO glad I went. I was so nervous because i was embarrassed about getting dependent on an OTC nasal spray, but he didn't seem surprised at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User
    Re: Had visit with my ENT about getting me off OTC nasal spray....

Great! He probably has a patient several times a week if not daily with this. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: Had visit with my ENT about getting me off OTC nasal spray....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by morgansmama View Post
    I was so nervous because i was embarrassed about getting dependent on an OTC nasal spray, but he didn't seem surprised at all.
    Happens to many....People become dependent because they work so darn well. Thus, they keep using it day after day. People wake up and feel stuffy, so they use the spray. The next day, the same thing....And so on. I don't think the product does a very good job of warning people to not use it more than a few days.

Unfortunately, due to the product's chemical make-up, the spray can cause a "rebound effect" over time. Thus, one needs the spray just to be normal.

The Prednisone will reduce all your swelling and get the tissue back to normal. Flonase is a steroid spray which targets only the nasal passages, thus, it doesn't have the side effects that oral steroids have. I use Flonase, and it works great. I've also used Prednisone during some serious sinus infections...Had to reduce swelling so the antibiotics could get to the site.

I also use a saline salt water nasal spray that is OTC....All drug stores carry them. The spray helps me a lot....Helps keep the passages clean and lubricated. 1-2 sprays per side is all it takes.

Take care, and good luck moving forward. I feel your pain....Literally.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread