It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tips/what to expect from an adult tonsillectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
    dotsandstripes
    (female)

dotsandstripes HB User
    Tips/what to expect from an adult tonsillectomy?

Hi all,

I am having my tonsils out in 2 weeks (October 22), at the age of 24. I haven't had chronic throat infections since I was small, but I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, and my doctor believes my (ENORMOUS) tonsils are cutting off my air flow while I sleep--so! Out they go.

As far as I know, I am having the good old-fashioned kind of surgery (no lasers) with a doctor who has been practicing for upwards of 40 years, so he knows what he's doing. I have been told to expect around 7 days of major pain, and I'm expecting to skip all the good Halloween parties due to the surgery ...but if anyone can help me out with the following topics, I'd appreciate it!

--What kind of drugs should I expect? Hydrocodone seems to be the main drug mentioned in the threads.

--What kind of foods are best immediately following surgery (cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, lukewarm soup)?

--What levels of pain should I expect? I've heard alternately "bad sore throat" and "some of the worst pain I've ever felt."

Finally, I am a dirty, dirty smoker, and planning to use the time following the surgery to begin the process of quitting. Do you suppose using nicotine patches while recovering is advisable (I'll also ask my doctor, of course, but any experiences you can share would be helpful).

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
    dotsandstripes
    (female)

dotsandstripes HB User
    Re: Tips/what to expect from an adult tonsillectomy?

ALSO! When I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, I awoke from the anesthesia VERY upset and sobbing. My oral surgeon told me the anesthesia sometimes causes this reaction in women, but I waved it off--not ME! But, yeah, I was in pretty bad shape. Then, of course, they told me I had to eat before I took the pain meds, which was a moot point since my mouth was bloody and full of gauze. Any other experiences related specifically to the surgery would be helpful--will I wake up in tears, will the meds require food, etc? Thanks so much!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
    Zeppidy
    (female)

Zeppidy HB User
    Re: Tips/what to expect from an adult tonsillectomy?

Well I am 48 (F) and am on day 9 post-op for my tonsillectomy. When I woke up I had a sore throat and was given an icy pole to eat in recovery. A couple of hours later I ate 2 lots of sandwiches (egg, lettuce, ham etc) and was able to drink water OK. I slept fairly well and the next day the sore throat was a bit sorer, but I managed to eat a full breakast of toast and cereal. I went home that day and have managed to eat regular meals, though I can recommend not to eat acidic or spicy food, as I did, increases pain for sometime.

I had a couple of days (day 3 and 7) when I felt very tired and generally unwell. This soon passed both times. I have taken a painkiller called panadeine 4 hourly, but have stopped that today as the pain has lessened considerably. There were no other drugs that I took and luckily I did not get an infection, though had a prescription for antibiotics incase.

For me, the pain was not as bad as some of the stories I have heard. It has certainly hurt to swallow to varying degrees over the days but not enough to stop me from eating normal food and drinking to stay hydrated.

I have way too much membrane still attached and bleeding as it breaks off is a potential problem but I'll face that if I come to it.

I would go through it again to get rid of my stinking tonsils!

By now you have had your tonsillectomy and it would be interesting to hear your story.

Closed Thread