It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Blocked Nose, Tight Throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
    tony78
    (male)

tony78 HB User
    Blocked Nose, Tight Throat

Hello I hope someone here can help me.

My entire life I’ve had thick gunk coming out of my nose, having to blow it out 50 times a day.

Over the past few years the gunk has almost stopped, however I have been finding it increasingly difficult to breathe from my nose or mouth.

I could just be sitting inside watching TV with the windows and doors shut, when all of a sudden my nose will start to tighten and close up till I cant get any air from my nose at all.
    Then my throat feels like it’s tightening up starting from the upper back of my throat, and it becomes hard to breathe from my mouth.

This completely blocked nose and half blocked throat feeling can last from a few hours to all day and night.

I’ve had a allergy test, and asthma test and they were negative.

I’ve seen an ENT doctor and he said the walls of my nose were very narrow and that I may need an operation to open them up.
    However, I’m not 100% convinced of this because one minute I can be breathing fine from my nose and throat, and in 5mins time they will start to tighten and close up.

This is really starting to drive me insane.

If anyone has any advise, any thing at all, I would love to here from you.

Thank you.

Last edited by tony78; 10-28-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Blocked Nose, Tight Throat

Before you even consider the surgery, there's a fairly basic regimen you can try to help with your symptoms:
    1. Irrigate your sinuses daily with a neti pot or sinus rinse bottle.

2. Try taking a daily decongestant (12-hour Sudafed) and use a steroid nasal spray like Flonase (fluticasone) to minimize the inflammation in your nasal passages.

3. Acid reflux (particularly a form of acid reflux called Laryngopharyngeal Reflux or LPR which doesn't have any of the typical symptoms of reflux) can contribute to some of the symptoms you describe, including the throat tightness and congestion, so you might try taking a 2 week course of reflux medication (PrilosecOTC) to see if that helps.
    By the way, I'd be very skeptical of surgery to "open up" your nasal passages. Sinus surgery usually helps only when the underlying cause of the problem is addressed before the surgery (i.e. allergies, infection, etc.). Surgery by itself rarely helps unless you have a deviated septum that needs to be corrected.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
    miclus
    (male)

miclus HB User

Hi, Tony. Did you ever figure out your breathing issues?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Hey Miclus,

I found your post some years ago about the difference in BP readings between arms. Did you ever figure out what was causing it or do you still have that?

Regards, Brenden.

PS. Sorry to post here but didn't know how else to ask.

Closed Thread