It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• How I'm having a smooth recovery from my tonsillectomy...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
    princessdiana75
    (female)

princessdiana75 HB User
    How I'm having a smooth recovery from my tonsillectomy...

I am 22 years old and have been having a pretty good recovery process so far (knock on wood). It hasn't been easy all the time (and i'm only on Day 5) but it has been better than I thought after reading all these horror stories online!! I took a lot of what I read online in to account, so I could have a good recovery. I'm going to post here some advice of what I've been doing so that others can see what worked for me and maybe have a better experience than others have. *Remember though, everyone is different and you have to know your body and what works for you - and you can't prepare too much before surgery because you just have to wait and see how you react to the procedure and medicine and go from there.

I am on day 5 of my recovery now. Each day has been different, but here are the basics of my recovery:
    • Drinking - a LOT is good, but I haven't kept track of how much I'm drinking. I have a glass of blue gatorade with ice in it with me at all times. I've been drinking so much that my "white" scabs in the back of my throat are actually blue! Drinking a lot actually works good two ways - 1) keeps the throat moist and 2) keeps me in the bathroom a lot so I don't sleep too much!
    • Sleeping - using a humidifier is a GREAT idea. It was sometimes hard to breath out of my nose (i could breath in but not out for some reason) and when I had mucus the humidifier kept my throat from getting too dry and broke up the phlegm. Also, my mouth produces a lot of saliva on a regular basis, and during this recovery I've been producing a lot more and I've been drooling in my sleep - luckily my bf doesn't care but you might want to cover your pillows in old pillow cases or something.
    • Mucus/phlegm chest congestion - go in the bathroom and close the door, turn the shower on as hot as possible without turning the fan vent on until the entire bathroom is steamy. Turn the fan on and turn the water down to a hot, but tolerable temperature and get in. I also like to sit on the edge of the tub and put my feet up on the other ledge so no water is touching me and turn it on as hot as possible so I can breath in more steam. This not only helped break up my congestion but has (seemed, anyway) to help to take down the swelling of my uvula and relieve my ear pain. I think the steam/heat and then drinking all the cold gatorade has helped a lot. I have taken probably 2-3 showers a day for the past 2-3 days.
    • Medicine - I have 2 alarms on my cell phone - 1st is for my hydrocodone, I reset it for every 3.5 hours and then the 2nd is for ibuprofen (i take them about an 30-60 min apart) - I didn't start taking ibuprofen until the night of day 4/morning of day 5. My ear pain had become so unbearable that I even bought earache relief drops - which didn't help. I looked up online that it is okay to take ibuprofen with hydrocodone and the ear pain went away almost immediately and I feel pretty good! My throat doesn't hurt bad at all - it's the ear pain that bugs the crap out of me.
    • Eating - I ate solid food the first day. My throat and tongue were sooo swollen but I still managed mashed potatoes the 1st day, ramen noodles the 2nd day and mac&cheese the 3rd day.
    • Nauseousness - dramamine or gravol does work wonders - but I didn't know that until day 4 unfortunately - I didn't think I had any at home, but when I found out I did I took it and I'm sure glad i did!!
    • Taste / tongue - my taste buds aren't really messed up like others have been, but all of my tongue is pretty swollen and burnt/bruised except for the top at the front. I can taste, but the back of my tongue tastes metallic-like and gross when I eat, but it's not horrible - just annoying - mostly when I've eaten mac&cheese. The right side of my tongue has a spot on it that is really burnt and sore - my whole tongue, but that side mostly, goes numb when I eat.
    • Brushing my teeth - I have been brushing my teeth SOOO much. My teeth feel like they have plaque all over them from drinking so much gatorade (I usually drink just water all the time). I think brushing my teeth has been helpful. I've got a lot of mucus out and even some bits of the scabs when I've brushed my teeth.
    • Ear pain - besides taking the ibuprofen, ice and a heating pad have both helped to relieve the pain a little bit. Not much, but a little is better than nothing!
    • Ice - an ice collar is a good idea, but I didn't use it as much as I probably should have. I think it helped relieve some pain and take some swelling down, but I can't really say it did anything miraculous for me besides it just felt nice! Maybe it did help though, I just didn't notice. Regardless, I still recommend using it.
    • Breath - I asked my boyfriend if my breath has smelled and he said yes - but he's been kissing me plenty so either he's just messing with me or it must not be that bad!! I've been brushing my teeth so much, maybe that is helping.

I think that is everything - if I forgot anything to talk about, let me know. If you'd like me to explain anything further, just ask! Don't get me wrong - there have been times when I just sat and cried for what seemed like forever. I have had some extremely intense pain and I have a very low pain tolerance, so this hasn't been easy, but it has been an easier recovery than some other people seem to have had. Remember, I am on day 5, and I'm feeling pretty good right about now. The scabs are coming off a tiny bit now and I would expect it to get more painful over the next couple days, but only time will tell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
    ElHEFE77
    (male)

ElHEFE77 HB User
    Re: How I'm having a smooth recovery from my tonsillectomy...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by princessdiana75 View Post
    I am 22 years old and have been having a pretty good recovery process so far (knock on wood). It hasn't been easy all the time (and i'm only on Day 5) but it has been better than I thought after reading all these horror stories online!! I took a lot of what I read online in to account, so I could have a good recovery. I'm going to post here some advice of what I've been doing so that others can see what worked for me and maybe have a better experience than others have. *Remember though, everyone is different and you have to know your body and what works for you - and you can't prepare too much before surgery because you just have to wait and see how you react to the procedure and medicine and go from there.

I am on day 5 of my recovery now. Each day has been different, but here are the basics of my recovery:
    • Drinking - a LOT is good, but I haven't kept track of how much I'm drinking. I have a glass of blue gatorade with ice in it with me at all times. I've been drinking so much that my "white" scabs in the back of my throat are actually blue! Drinking a lot actually works good two ways - 1) keeps the throat moist and 2) keeps me in the bathroom a lot so I don't sleep too much!
    • Sleeping - using a humidifier is a GREAT idea. It was sometimes hard to breath out of my nose (i could breath in but not out for some reason) and when I had mucus the humidifier kept my throat from getting too dry and broke up the phlegm. Also, my mouth produces a lot of saliva on a regular basis, and during this recovery I've been producing a lot more and I've been drooling in my sleep - luckily my bf doesn't care but you might want to cover your pillows in old pillow cases or something.
    • Mucus/phlegm chest congestion - go in the bathroom and close the door, turn the shower on as hot as possible without turning the fan vent on until the entire bathroom is steamy. Turn the fan on and turn the water down to a hot, but tolerable temperature and get in. I also like to sit on the edge of the tub and put my feet up on the other ledge so no water is touching me and turn it on as hot as possible so I can breath in more steam. This not only helped break up my congestion but has (seemed, anyway) to help to take down the swelling of my uvula and relieve my ear pain. I think the steam/heat and then drinking all the cold gatorade has helped a lot. I have taken probably 2-3 showers a day for the past 2-3 days.
    • Medicine - I have 2 alarms on my cell phone - 1st is for my hydrocodone, I reset it for every 3.5 hours and then the 2nd is for ibuprofen (i take them about an 30-60 min apart) - I didn't start taking ibuprofen until the night of day 4/morning of day 5. My ear pain had become so unbearable that I even bought earache relief drops - which didn't help. I looked up online that it is okay to take ibuprofen with hydrocodone and the ear pain went away almost immediately and I feel pretty good! My throat doesn't hurt bad at all - it's the ear pain that bugs the crap out of me.
    • Eating - I ate solid food the first day. My throat and tongue were sooo swollen but I still managed mashed potatoes the 1st day, ramen noodles the 2nd day and mac&cheese the 3rd day.
    • Nauseousness - dramamine or gravol does work wonders - but I didn't know that until day 4 unfortunately - I didn't think I had any at home, but when I found out I did I took it and I'm sure glad i did!!
    • Taste / tongue - my taste buds aren't really messed up like others have been, but all of my tongue is pretty swollen and burnt/bruised except for the top at the front. I can taste, but the back of my tongue tastes metallic-like and gross when I eat, but it's not horrible - just annoying - mostly when I've eaten mac&cheese. The right side of my tongue has a spot on it that is really burnt and sore - my whole tongue, but that side mostly, goes numb when I eat.
    • Brushing my teeth - I have been brushing my teeth SOOO much. My teeth feel like they have plaque all over them from drinking so much gatorade (I usually drink just water all the time). I think brushing my teeth has been helpful. I've got a lot of mucus out and even some bits of the scabs when I've brushed my teeth.
    • Ear pain - besides taking the ibuprofen, ice and a heating pad have both helped to relieve the pain a little bit. Not much, but a little is better than nothing!
    • Ice - an ice collar is a good idea, but I didn't use it as much as I probably should have. I think it helped relieve some pain and take some swelling down, but I can't really say it did anything miraculous for me besides it just felt nice! Maybe it did help though, I just didn't notice. Regardless, I still recommend using it.
    • Breath - I asked my boyfriend if my breath has smelled and he said yes - but he's been kissing me plenty so either he's just messing with me or it must not be that bad!! I've been brushing my teeth so much, maybe that is helping.

I think that is everything - if I forgot anything to talk about, let me know. If you'd like me to explain anything further, just ask! Don't get me wrong - there have been times when I just sat and cried for what seemed like forever. I have had some extremely intense pain and I have a very low pain tolerance, so this hasn't been easy, but it has been an easier recovery than some other people seem to have had. Remember, I am on day 5, and I'm feeling pretty good right about now. The scabs are coming off a tiny bit now and I would expect it to get more painful over the next couple days, but only time will tell.
    I hope you can help i had my tonsills out like 5 days ago today i woke up and i feel great but when i try to eat i swallow without no pain but the thing is when i eat something i feel like there are people in side my throt hitting me with a hinting knive jsut pocking me with it it really hurt
    Some more details
    what i was eating was chef boyarde
    im only 14

Old 12-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
    ElHEFE77
    (male)

ElHEFE77 HB User

I hope you can help i had my tonsills out like 5 days ago today i woke up and i feel great but when i try to eat i swallow without no pain but the thing is when i eat something i feel like there are people in side my throt hitting me with a hinting knive jsut pocking me with it it really hurt
    Some more details
    what i was eating was chef boyarde
    im only 14

Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
    princessdiana75
    (female)

princessdiana75 HB User

For one thing, chef boyardee is noodles and tomato sauce and tomatoes have a LOT of acid! You shouldn't be eating anything acidic, it will burn your throat. I'm on day 7 now and I tried to cut back my painkillers but that was unfortunate. I'm only doing slightly better than the past two days. I was hoping I'd be able to get back to work tomorrow but I'll be lucky if I can even get back at all this week.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
    fac6
    (male)

fac6 HB User

Hi Diana,

I am nearly on day 6 and I only had one tonsil removed although I also had a Septoplasty and Turbinate reduction in the nose. I really feel for you guys who've had both tonsils taken out because one is bad enough

I got too confident thinking hey this pain is no big deal this is easy and so I stopped taking my meds. BIG MISTAKE! once the pain killers wore off I thought I was in hell!

I think it would be better for you to fully recover before you go to work as it may significantly slow down the healing process if you go back to work too soon.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
    princessdiana75
    (female)

princessdiana75 HB User

I just posted about my recovery in a new thread. I didn't even think about how my recovery might slow down if I push it. That's a really good point. I definitely want to be better before the 3rd week in December when all the christmas parties start!

Closed Thread