It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy, here we go!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy, here we go!

I never really was a big fan of Propel but when I played softball I would put a bit of sugar in the lemon one to make it taste sort of like lemonade and then I would drink it down very quickly a couple of hours before a game. I could never drink gatorade, propel or any of those sports drinks during a game because it would make me sick (bad experience with an overload of sports drinks one season). I would drink the propel because we were playing in the middle of summer with 110 deg F weather and 100% humidity so I knew if I didn't get something else in me I would wind up in the hospital. I never realized the drying out effects of Propel while I played ball because as soon as we ran into the dugout we were being hounded to drink by all of our coaches and parents.

Now I know to stay away from it!
    Another thing to add to my list of things to stay away from - bananas!

Mom made me a blended ice and banana smoothie-like thing yesterday but I had trouble getting it down because my throat burned so much. I chalked it up to just a bad day yesterday.

However, this morning I tried to eat some again. At first it was wonderful. It was cool, not too thick, and tasted really great despite being watery. Then the burning started. I quit eating it because the burning wasn't all over my throat. It was in the places where the banana mix had stayed stuck! I went check my throat and noticed that there were quite a few irritated patches on my throat...so no more bananas for now.

My mom is getting really frustrated and angry with me because I can't eat anything she tries to bring me except the jello. She keeps trying to push slim fast on me but doesn't want to understand that anything milky (and I know cause I already tried the slim fast) makes a thick coating of phlem in my throat and it chokes me! I had told her not to get Propel because I never really cared for it and told her to get gatorade. She didn't buy the gatorade because she read the ingredients and saw citrus acid and then she bought propel. The Vitamin water she also bought is red so I can't drink it right now.

I'm really weak and can barely walk around and shes not really helping by fussing at me. Itís like she thinks I am trying to starve myself which is not the case. I just can't find anything that my throat will tolerate at the moment. I want some chicken broth again tonight but for now I am waiting for her to bring me some jello. I think she forgot about it.

Aww I am out of the green apple jello that I liked so much! It tastes like green jolly ranchers lol! Ah well..I have an orange colored one that is supposed to be watermelon. It tastes wierd but at least I can eat it. I hope Mom gets me some more green apple one.

Oh to have a cinnamon roll! Cinnamon rolls are one of my favorite things. My boyfriend had Chinese last night. *pouts* I like Chinese too lol. Oh well I have a gift card that my Aunt and Uncle gave to Jason and me to go to Osakas, its a sushi and hibachi place in town that we like to go to. I fully intend to make use of that gift card as soon as I can eat!

Thank heavens for the people who care about us as well. I think my boyfriend must have though I grew horns yesterday. I was pretty mean to him. *ducks head* I apologized but he understood that I was just in a lot of pain and frustrated. My brothers even got the end of my furious dry erase board writing. I am feeling much better today though. I love my mother and appreciate what she is doing for me but often I donít think she stops to see what is really going on. She keeps telling people that it is killing me not to talk and fussing about my not eating when that is not the case at all. She even twisted some of the things the doctor said to suit what she wants to tell people. It is really rather frustrating at times because I canít really defend myself. She needs to remember that a tonsillectomy patient is not the same as someone who has a cold or something like that. We each have our own tolerances and the recovery differs from person to person. My nurse even told me not to go by the sheet they gave me with what to eat because its obviously not working for me. Mom seems stuck on it.

I went to my doctor this morning and got another shot. I nearly passed out again but this time we realized it was from the shot itself, not from my lack of nutrition. My nurse told Mom about some things to do with Cambells beef and vegetable soup and now I want some! She said to cook it like normal and then blenderize it and let it cool for me. I particularly like Cambellís Vegetable Beef and had forgotten about it until she mentioned it. I was able to tolerate Ramen chicken broth really well and today I ate my jello in about a half an hour instead of it taking me all day so I am hopeful!

She said that the best thing I can do for the pain is take the 3 teaspoons of loretab instead of just two. She said I am doing great. My throat looks good and my scabs are already starting to fall. She said that I am very well hydrated. The only problem I have is that I can't really eat much but my nurse is not really concerned about that. My mom is freaking out more about that than the people at my doctor's office.

I'm not really worried. I don't like feeling weak but I know it is more important to stay hydrated than to stay fed. I have been eating some, just not enough. I was happy to hear that my throat looks good. I don't know what it is supposed to look like and she said I am not bleeding anywhere and that the scabs are falling off already. I fell asleep on the ride home and went straight to bed afterwards. That shot makes me extremely sleepy. Itís time for my pain meds again and I am really hungry but feeling great!

I am so sorry to hear about your setback Cole. I hope your condition doesnít worsen because of it. I know round 2 is starting for me now that the scabs are falling off but I know that it is also the beginning of the end of the pain after they are gone.
    I too learned the hard way not to skip doses of medicine and have been setting alarms to make sure I am awake on time. Momís been keeping an eye on my humidifier and has already had to refill it a couple of times. I have been keeping my room pretty cold. My visitors complain but I canít sleep if I am hot.
    Iím pretty spacey as well. I can watch TV but I canít really do much else. I fully intended to get a head start on my reading for next semester. I bought all the books ahead of time and was going to write summaries on the chapters for myself and everythingÖ.not happening! I am not really concerned though. Iím just going to take it easy for once and let myself recuperate. I always try to push myself too far too fast because of class and all that. This time I donít have to worry and Iím going to rest as much as I want/need to.

I canít take Benadryl. The last time I took it I wound up all loopy and in la la land. My boyfriend had to take care of me like I was drunk! I am taking liquid zyrtec for the congestion and that works fine for me. I didnít have a reaction to my pain meds. If Benadryl keeps drying you out you might want to look into taking Zyrtec. It works wonders for me but I never really had a problem with it either. I donít know if it would work as well for you as it does for me.

Sorry for giving you such a long post to read. Have a great day!
    ~Jerrica

Last edited by spirithawk06; 01-02-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: didn't finish a sentence

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
    cbstinso
    (male)

cbstinso HB User

Thank for the post, Jerrica. Boy, can I feel your pain about all the ďadviceĒ you get from people who mean well. At least you know they mean well and keep that in mind when you want to choke them You are probably like me, i.e. not the best ďsickĒ person. I just cannot stand lying here doing nothing. I have actually run out of things to look up on the internet! The food has not been a problem for me, but what the wife and mom keep trying to push on me is sleep. It gets really old. It is not like I donít want to sleep, I just canít sleep all the time. But, anyway, it does get frustrating.

Today was nuts. I ate TWO 12-piece nuggets from Chick-Fil-A, a cupcake, and about a thousand banana popsicles. That was just for lunch. At this point, I have some pain when I first wake up from my repeated naps, but that is about it. All other problems are side effects of the drugs I am on. And for that, my friends, I am thankful. This has just not been the nightmare experience for which I had planned. I know I am not out of the woods yet. Some people say their 5th or 6th day is the worse, so that could still happen. Nonetheless, I thought days 1-4 would be much worse than they have been.

Jerrica, please keep the posts coming. Hereís to hoping tonight is the best night youíve had and tomorrow the best day!!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #18
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

I think all of our prayers have been answered Cole! I am feeling great! Yesterday I was on a steady mend. I was fatigued but the pain got less and less. I now only have a somewhat constant ache in the lower part of my throat and my ears. I woke up with a dry mouth a couple of times even though I drank a lot and I started yawning again last night and noticed a tight pulling at the edge where my gums meet the scabs. But stuff like that would have sent me crying with pain two days ago and it was just a little ouch lol! I had more pain getting line drived by a softball or getting flung from my horse. I was beginning to think that haze of pain and drug induced fog was going to continue for a long time. I know I am still not out of the woods yet but I need some hope!

Oh the scabs started coming off! I know it is GROSS but I spit some out not realizing what it was. I was really grossed out by the texture until I realized that it was part of my scab. I rushed to the bathroom and no blood!

The phlem is lessening and isn't as yucky green looking and it doesnt hurt as bad to try to get it out of my mouth. I've pretty much halved my pain meds or I take them half when I am due to take it and half a good while after and I have been having my "nurses" put less in the medicine cup to begin with. I was expecting to be in total pain meltdown after that but no! I feel fantastic (compared to how I felt two days ago anyway).

I still sound funny and it is still hard to get food down because of the way the tonsil beds are but yesterday I managed about 5-6 bites of applesauce. It didn't burn and tasted great but it was too thick. Mom blended it some more with some ice but the small graines kind of stuck in the tonsil beds and would come out when I spit up phlem. It was kinda yucky.

Mom also boiled some potatoes in chicken broth. I didn't really want it because my nurse told me I need protein not starch and all potatoes are is starch. Also the chicken broth she had was basically sodium, and not much else. But you couldn't get Mom to listen. She has been stuck on trying to get me to eat that potato thing since the lady told her about her daughter eating it in the doctor's office. It was too salty to taste good to me but I did manage to eat a good bit of it just becuase I do need food and I've been starving! She didn't want to do the soup I wanted because it has a little bit of tomato paste in it. I might get brave enough to try it if I am still feeling well later and if the scrambled eggs Dad made me go down easy. I also ate my customary jello yesterday and drank a heck of a lot of water. We couldn't find the water with the electrolytes you mentioned though Mom did search for it.

Oh and yeah I am a HORRIBLE invalid. I have been fussing and complaining about every little thing. I dislike myself for it but I am so bored and frustrated and I don't like the way the pain meds make me feel so I wind up taking it out on them. I'll make it up to them all somehow.

My boyfriend is such a sweetie. He's coming to watch movies with me this weekend and he even said he would bring me some Miso soup! It's my favorite soup. He is kind of concerned about the spice in it but we can only try right? I won't know if I can handle it until I try because all the stuff that I should be eating burns and the stuff that I shouldn't be eating isn't that bad.

Last night I wound up sleeping like a log! I slept for four hours before my alarm rang for hydration and pain meds and it felt like the most sleep I have gotten in years! I couldn't even finish my pain meds because I fell asleep with them in my hand. I woke up before I spilled them and drank a few more sips and then fell asleep. I woke up a couple hours later not really hurting but thirsty. I finished off a bit more medicine just in case and wound up sleeping at least an hour past when I should have taken my pain meds this morning. I slept a lot but I feel good!

Last night though Mom gave me 3 teaspoons of lortab around 8:30. I took the medicine not realizing that she hadn't watered it down like she normally did. The nurse had said if the pain medicine wasn't working to give me the full 3 teaspoons but I only had a small ache yesterday. So when she gave me that 3 teaspoons it sent me higher than a kite! The room was spinning and I was borderline delerious. My boyfriend and a friend got a kick out of it but it felt like my bed was leaning and I felt all giggly! It was NOT a pleasant experience. I have only taken a 3 teaspoon dose all at once 1x before this and I was in excrutiating pain. The other times I took a 3 teaspoon dose was because I took the 2 teaspoon and it wasn't enough so 2 hours later I took another teaspoon. I told my mom not to give me that dose again without asking me. I seriously hope I never need that much pain medicine again. I do not like the way it makes me feel and I was even too loopy to sleep. So no more large doses. I hope to get off the narcotics as soon as possible and maybe go to Tylenol or something. I dislike being on strong pain meds even though I know I have needed them lately. At the moment they feel like overkill.

Well my breakfast is probably more than cold enough for me to eat. Wish me luck. I am really looking forward to those scrambled eggs. I hope I can eat them.

Day 5 post op and doing great!
    Hope you are well!
    ~Jerrica

Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #19
    cbstinso
    (male)

cbstinso HB User

The pain has finally come! Easily a 9/10 on the pain scale, nudging a 9.5. Everybody feels and quantifies pain differently, so... just so you know, my 10 is when I had a tooth extraction with no anesthesia (the doctor misinterpreted an X-ray and inserted the anesthesia into a cavity in my gums, meaning there was no actual delivery of the analgesic into the tissue) in which the tooth shattered into fragments that had to be extracted individually. I was on the verge of an ER visit before the dentist finally got finished before I stroked That was a definte 10/10.

This pain I have now is not a 10, but it is closer than I want it to be. As I write this, the tetracaine in the lollipops my doctor gave me is considerably soothing, and the 8 mg of Dilaudid I just took are starting to come on board to give some meaningful pain relief. Thank God!! I want to write through this pain so I can pass along my experience while I am experiencing it and not with the inevitable bias (positive or negative) inherent in a writing after the fact.

With the pain ringing in my ears, I have some advice for people considering tonsillectomies:

(1) Adequate painkiller. Talk about medication to your doctor before the surgery. I cannot stress this enough. I found out yesterday what an inadequate painkiller can do to you. My son sees the same EMT who did my surgery. (He is the best doctor I have ever seen, and I have seen many, given my line of work, i.e. trial lawyer). When we took him in for his appointment yesterday, the doctor took a look at me. I explained to him that my pain had been very mild, that the the Dilaudid made me a little crazy and a lot itchy, and I requested that he give me something weaker. He prescribed me Oxydone (Percocet). People, listen to me. At least for a bug guy like me, Hydrocodone and Oxycodone are simly not adequate pain relievers. If you are getting a tonsillectomy, insist on an adequate pain reliever, in my case, Dilaudud. It only took one dose of oxycodone for me to running back to the Dilaudid. My doctor did not hesitate in prescribing what I needed, but many people are not that fortunate. It is sad that abusers have left many people out in the cold in this regard by making the medical professionals leery of prescribing narcotics. Nonetheless, post-tonsillectomy is no time to be shy about asking for what you need.

(2) Tetracaine (topical anesthetic):Insist that your doctor prescribe tetracaine in some form. My doctor prescribed me lollipops. I think there is a spray and a rinse. My doctor prescribed this without being asked. If yours doesn't, ask him for it. My doctor told me some of his patients swear by it, others think it is a waste of money. I am clearly in the former category. It doesn't last that long, but the time it gives you breaks the pain cycle, and that is worth its weight in gold.

(3) Eat and Drink. Eat and drink as early, often, and much as you can. At this point swallowing enough water to choke down my meds is unbearable. It makes me happy I ate and drank relatively normal until yesterday. I think the strength it gave me contributed greatly to my five days of relatively mild to moderate pain. I think too many people assume t hey won't be able to eat much. Maybe my case was exceptional, but I don't think so. I just went in with the "as much as I can" mindset with regard to food and drink, and I' glad I did. The hydration thing has been addressed thoroughly, and I agree that hydration is key.

(4) Acceptance. Accept that you are not going to be able to work. I fought this hard. I am a workaholic, and I enjoy work. I will admit now that I thought I could basically work from home and not miss a beat. That was foolish. Even before I was in agonizing pain, the medicine made me too loopy to accomplish anything other than reading the same paragraph over and over. If you are like me in that you have some kind soul(s) to look after you, just plan on lying low. I checked out 15 library books and haven't been able to get past page five of any of them. It seriously takes all your effort just to pass the time. Whether the pain comes right away (like in Jerrica's case) or nearly six days post-op (like mine), you are not going to be at work a week after your surgery. I know some people will have to prove this to himself or herself. Save yourself the trouble. My stubborn insistence now makes me laugh out loud. Who did I think I was? It's like the guy who swears he can drink ten beers, "But, I swear, I just don't get drunk, man!" Yeah... OK. Bottom line: when someone cuts organs out of your throat, it is going to hurt.

All in all, I just wanted to share this development with you, Jerrica, and to all you others following what has become a two-person conversation between Jerrica and me.

I will keep you updated. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain Cole. I hope it gets better for you soon. Just hang in there.

My reprieve lasted for about two days. Now I'm up and down with the pain. At the moment I feel miserable. I started my period right on time (sorry if this bothers you but you mentioned that you have a wife so I hope you are used to it.) I have a yeast infection from all the antibiotics and to top it all off I also developed thrush in my mouth so that's two more medications to add to the mix and just when I was getting to the point where I could eat more my tongue has gotten pretty raw in the back and has a few small sores and it hurts to eat and it also distorts the taste of everything. I'm going stir crazy and I've been feeling pretty sick the past two days. The scabs continue to fall off and I think that is part of the problem. I am running fever off and on and I think the scabs that I am swallowing is behind the nausea. I broke open my scabs in a few places because I started yawning again and of course that stretches the scabs and it is really hard not to yawn. The bleeding stopped but it has been rather stressful.

My doctor had warned me about the sores because of the fact that I can't eat normally but I didn't realize it would become full blown thrush. Its driving me crazy that I can't do anything. I'm either too weak or I have my family hounding me to rest. At least the gargle I have to use and swallow tastes decent. Sometimes I can go without the pain medicine but sometimes I have to take it. The pain in my ears has been almost constant but sometimes it gets really bad.

This is really jumbled and I apologize for it but I can't seem to think straight. I just want things to get better. I don't know how much more of this I can take without losing my sanity.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #21
    cbstinso
    (male)

cbstinso HB User

Good Lord, Jerrica, I could have written every bit of that myself. In fact, if you showed me your post three weeks from now, minus the part about the period and yeast infection, I would swear I did write it

I feel for you. I am experiencing basically the exact same things. The only difference in our recoveries is that my days 1-4 were easy compared to yours. It looks like we have taken different routes but have arrived at the same destination. For me right now there is no way I would go without taking my pain meds on schedule. In fact, when I sleep an hour longer than I should, I wake up with pain 9/10. I pretty much have to set my alarm clock for every four hours, or my pain will wake me up every five. If the latter happens, it means youíre in panic mode, and it takes a couple of hours for the pain to settle down again.

Here is a day-by-day recap of my experience. Day 1 is the day of the surgery.

Day Date Worst Pain Avg Pain Ate
    1 Tue 2/10 2/10 Mashed potatoes, gravy
    2 Wed 6/10 2/10 Chicken nuggets, anything else
    3 Thu 3/10 3/10 Chicken nuggets, anything else
    4 Fri 7/10 5/10 Soup, popsicles, pretzels (yikes)
    5 Sat 9/10 6/10 Soup, popsicles
    6 Sun 9/10 6/10 Soup, popsicles
    7 Mon 9/10 7/10 Only Banana popsicles (tons)
    8 Tue 9/10 8/10 Protein shake, fruit snack, popsicles
    9 Wed 9/10 TBD TBD

I did hydrate well, regardless of pain, on all days. Some days this was mostly water, some days mostly Gatorade, some days a combination of the two. And I have eaten more banana popsicles than should be allowed. I won't even tell you how many because it is embarrassing. I am sure they had some hydrating effect.

I donít think I am bleeding any, but I donít know that I would know if I was. Would I? Some people say they have to spit a lot at this stage, and they can monitor the blood that way. I have not felt the desire to spit at all. A visual inspection of my throat shows no blood. I feel nausea at times, but that could be from so many different things, it is impossible to tell whether it is from swallowing blood. Any suggestions, here?

Some other quirky things. First, sleep. Last night was the first night since surgery where I have gotten everything that resembles a full night's sleep. Sleep is hard to come by, other than the in-and-out, I've-got-to-be-at-the-airport-at-4 a.m. restless sleep. Fatigue and the meds make me do some weird things neurologically. I often have that brief, abrupt falling sensation. I also nod off out of the clear blue. Like I will just be typing away at this post and the next thing I know I am like this old lawyer I once saw nod off at a deposition. In short, I have a long way to go and a short time to get there.

I've got to go to bed. Let's hang in there, J!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #22
    cbstinso
    (male)

cbstinso HB User

The newest development is pain so bad that I refuse to talk. Considering my typical verbosity, this is powerful commentary. This was brought upon by the reduced efficacy of the hydromorphone along with my development of the hiccups Ė a lethal combination. So, here I sit at the computer again at 1:45 in the morning.

I thought I made a rapid recovery step yesterday but it was short-lived. By the time I bathed my kid, I was wiped out and feeling a lot of pain again. Jerrica, I wrot e a lot on Jennyís thread, so I am out of energy. Letís catch up tomorrow. Sound good?

Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 AM   #23
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Oh hiccups! I hate them! That and yawning! I have broken open scabs yawning. Luckily those didn't bleed for more than a couple seconds. Hiccups hurt.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain! I feel for you. I completely identify with the no talking thing only mine was bad for the first few days. Now I just sound funny and it hurts to talk too long but I know I need to move my jaw so it doesn't stiffen up.

I'm warning you now this is going to be a LONG post because so much has happened since I posted last. Let me read my last post so I don't bore you with repetition.

Ok so you know about the thrush and the yeast infection and the period...it all went downhill from there. I was feeling BAD...I just sat down and cried because I felt so miserable. I was nauseated beyond belief and terrified of throwing up because I knew I would rupture something. The thrush was horrible! Instead of just having the sore throat to deal with, my tongue and sides part of the roof of my mouth is raw and with several sores. The nystatin gargle they gave me is doing wonders but I am only saying that because today was a decent day. I am still pretty much on a liquid diet solely because of the sores and even then I have to force myself to drink. Cold hurts, warm hurts...all thanks to the thrush.

Anway..Tuesday night I was feeling miserable but doing the best I could. I tried eating some broccoli soup but it was WAY too spicy and BURNED like hell going down so I ate some pudding and slim fast mix that my boyfriend concocted and that helped soothe it. I was nauseated off and on all day and I had to go to the bathroom gagging, certain that I was about to throw everything up a couple of times. I have lost track of days so I don't remember if that episode was the same day that I wound up in the hospital or not so bear with me.

My sleeping pattern has been off and that is making me feel even more worn down. I have been exhausted and sleeping off and on all day and then up half the night tired as hell but unable to sleep even though I take my pain medication. I haven't had to take that as much. The pain has been almost constant but bearable compared to before.

Well I was taking a nap and my boyfriend called at 2:30 to tell me he was on his way home and chat with me like we usually do. He works nights and sleeps most of the day so we talk when we can even if it means he has to wake me up at 2:30 every morning. My throat was REALLY dry so I drank some water. I felt a burning pain on my left side but thought nothing of it because my left side was hit harder by the thrush. I had to use the bathroom so I got up and out of habit grabbed the flashlight to check my throat. I freaked out, started cursing, terrified. My poor boyfriend was yelling over the phone to know what was wrong because i dropped the phone on the counter. I told him to hold on because I was bleeding. I had a steady trickle of blood coming out of a break in the scab on the left side.

I woke up my mom and we tried ice packs and I started chewing on ice. Mom called the ER but they couldnt get in touch with my ENT. The blood wasn't gushing but it was a steady trickle and they told my mom to bring me in to see the ER doctor if they thought I needed it. It didn't stop by the time we left for the hospital at 3 and it took us about 20 minutes to get to the hospital and another 15 or so to get me in a room. By then the bleeding had basically stopped but you could definitely tell where it had been and I was spitting up brownish blood from that bleed by then. The doctor came in to see me and I could tell that he was concerned by the way I looked and by the amount of irritation in my throat.

He said the pain medicine they gave me wasn't really that strong and the thrush was causing a lot of irritation. He said he wanted to put an IV in and get some meds in for me. My acid reflux had been causing me a lot of grief the past few days and it was bothering me at that time. The doctor said he wanted to give me something for that and for the nausea I was almost constantly dealing with as well as demerol for the pain.

Then he left the room and I was feeling bad, laying with my eyes closed. Mom had left to call my aunt to let her know we would be while. I started gagging and some acid/spit and a little bloody tissue came up and I called for a nurse. The nurse and doctor ran in and I was shaking because of what I saw on the napkin. The doctor checked and said he could see where that blood came from. I think it was a fresh blood clot, I can't remember exactly what he said but it hadn't started a new bleed. I think that was when he decided to send me home with some stuff for nausea or when he decided to put some in the iv. I really can't remember so forgive me.

The nurse came in and put the iv in my hand. That hurt a good bit because I have really small hands. It took them a while to come back in to put the medicine. I think they were still discussing what to give me. I heard them talking about different meds and another patient and asking if they wanted to call my ENT again. They couldn't get in touch with him but the ER said they would call him at home if they needed to (if I needed to go back into surgery).

They gave me demerol for the pain, zofran for the nausea, and pepcid for the acid reflux. The medicine felt icy going in and I was quickly loopy and feeling all goofy. For some reason I can't really sleep easily on demerol. Or I might sleep but I don't realize it. I can never forget the names of those medications because now I can't take any of them.

The nurse left and I felt my arm start to itch. I looked down at where my pj sleeves were pulled up and saw that it looked like I was getting a rash but I had scratched there so I couldn't be sure and I thought I might just be cold because it looked like the red marbling you sometimes get when you are too cold. But when I looked at my other arm it was clear. Then I looked at the opening in the collar of my pjs and watched the rash spread across my chest. I told my mom I was having a reaction and she ran to the door calling out to the doctors that I was having a reaction. They ran in and started checking me and I started having trouble breating. The rash was spreading rapidly and it got harder and harder to breathe. They said my lungs were clear but the constriction always starts in my throat first. I've never had it bad enough to affect my lungs yet and I hope to avoid that bad a reacion. (Epipen comes with me everywhere from now on *ducks head sheepishly* I had gotten out of the habit of keeping it with me and normally just leave it in the car...I learned my lesson)

This was the second time in my life that I've had an anaphylactic reaction. The first time was to my allergy shots and I had to have two shots of adrenaline and a cortisteroid. Same thing happened with the rash and then the trouble breathing. The only difference was the first time I had raised hives. This one looked like a rash spreading under the skin, probably because the medications were administered via IV.

They gave me salmeterol (commonly used in asthma medicines - I'm an allergy-induced asthmatic) for the breathing and benadryl (benadryl is fun...I got drunk off a benadryl strip once...it makes me REALLY loopy and delerious) for the allergic reaction and then they gave me a shot of adrenaline in my arm. That burned quite a bit! Both the benadryl and the adrenaline burned.

So with that combination of medication you can just about imagine how I was feeling. Demerol and benadryl make you sleepy. I dont know what the other meds did. And to top it all off I am shaking from head to toe from the adrenaline. I was pretty out of it and it seemed like it took forever from the time my brain would order my body to do something and it would actually do it. My doctor told me I just don't have good luck.

They kept me there for a while. I don't know how long because I was in and out of it and then sent me home with some information sheets about the thrush and another one on an adult tonsillectomy (most of the other stuff I had was more for children anyway) and a script for some phenergan (for nausea) and I found out a later a corticosteriod called Medrol or methylprednisolone. I'm guessing its like prednisone but it is also an antibiotic. I'm guessing thats for the inflammation in my throat thanks to the thrush. He said I have quite a few irritated patches in the throat that will probably break open and bleed easily. They were going to give me zofran tablets to melt under my tongue for the nausea but after that reaction he changed his mind. We don't know which of the 3 I reacted to. He said most people don't have a problem with zofran and that it was more than likely the demerol but he isn't sure at all. So I have 3 new medications to add to my list of allergies. I'm allergic to amoxil. It gives me BAD yeast infections and I found out from a nurse that it probably isn't a normal yeast infection so I just steer clear of amoxil. Now I have to call all my doctors and specialists and get them to update my charts. I'm also going to get medical tags made to keep with me saying what I'm allergic to and that I'm asthmatic. This episode drove home how easily I could have a reaction and not be able to tell anyone what's going on.

I'm calling my ENT tomorrow to update him on what happened and to see if he wants me to take that medrol. I don't think he's going to mind me taking the phenergan because I've been pretty nauseated lately. I just want to make sure its ok to take the medrol.

I almost fell face first out of the hospital bed trying to get in the wheelchair and had to be supported to my bed. I was in and out of consciousness as Mom got everything I needed like my ice packs and all that good stuff and was back out by the time she closed my bedroom door. I woke up pretty late in the day and was in and out of sleep most of the day. This was early Wednesday morning. I'm not quite sure. I have lost track of my days.

Yesterday I was up most of the day. I couldn't keep still. I think my mom pretty much gave up on fussing me to get back inside when she got her new cockatiels and had them out in their cage out on the porch and brought my cockatiel's cage to sit next to them. I didn't stay out long but I needed to be out in the sunshine for a bit. I didn't take my pain meds at all until around 3 this morning and I did that because my ears were starting to hurt. I felt nauseated a good bit but I didn't want to take anything because I don't know how long it will take to get that stuff they gave me with the iv out of my system. I have been really hungry but nauseated when I eat anything. Again I didn't want to take anything for it because I don't want to OD.

To be completely honest. I look like hell. My face has no color except for the shadows around my eyes. Everyone who sees me says I'm pale and I know thats an understatement. I slept hard most of the night from about 6 when I went to bed with a bad headache and feeling under the weather and then woke up once or twice either hot or cold. I woke up around 8 and got up for a bit to use the bathroom and talk to my mom. I was soaked with sweat. I went back to bed then and sleept until 2:40. Jason was late calling and I thought he was just not going to call because he wanted me to sleep but he called around 2:57. He had been playing cards with his co workers after they did all their work. I woke up not feeling rested at all and can't go back to sleep. Its 4:28 right now. I'm trying to eat some jello and I took about a half a teaspoon of my pain medicine just to ease the ache in my ear. I have a nice patch in the back of my throat that you can see where the bleed was. Today I drank a milkshake my mom made for me with some chocolate ensure plus and some fat free vanilla ice cream and milk. My heart is sore which is not unusual after getting an adrenaline shot. Last time my chest felt like I had been kicked by a horse for more than a week. This time though I only had one shot of adrenaline. I think the medicine worked faster because it was through an IV and not just shot in my hip. The last reaction I had like that I had a shot of adrenaline and then a shot of corticosteroids and then 20 minutes later another shot of adrenaline because the reaction wasn't going down. This time the reaction started going down after they gave me the salmeterol..at least I was able to breathe. I don't remember how long it took the rash to go away but it went away quick enough to please the doctors.

Yesterday I was so tired but I just couldn't sleep once I woke up and then I crashed and now I can't sleep again. I hope this doesn't become a pattern because I hate the way I feel right now. Despite all that I fully expected to be bed ridden after that little episode but I was up pretty much all day yesterday playing with my bird and my mom's new birds. I am getting my mom to call my doctor's office as soon as they open today. I am out of refils on my antibiotics and took the last bit today and it wasn't a full dose so I don't want to wait too long to find out what he wants to do. He might even want to see me himself.

At the moment my ears are a little achy and I can feel my throat but its not really hurting unless I swallow something like the jello I'm munching on. I feel a little spacey but I think that's because I'm tired but can't sleep. I think I'm not going to drink those shakes right before bed again. My reflux is starting to rear its head and I was feeling pretty nauseated earlier. I might go take the phenergan and my nexium but I kinda want to wait to hear from my doctor. *sighs* What's a girl to do?

Anyway I hope things get better for you soon. I realized today that I am on day 11. Its hard to believe its already been that long. The days seem to drag by. I hope I'm well enough to be released. I'm already going to miss my first day of classes for a doctor's appointment on Monday and I could definitely use another week of rest but I have to start school. At least I should still have my spring break coming up in this semester.We missed fall break last semester because we were hit by Hurricane Gustav and it really wore everyone out going without a break. Lol listen to me talking about spring break when the semester hasn't even started!

I'll let you take a break from reading my rambling. Hope you feel better. I'll pray for you.
    ~Jerrica

Last edited by spirithawk06; 01-09-2009 at 04:02 AM. Reason: wrong dates

Old 01-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #24
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

I realize I didn't address any of your last posts so here goes.

I saw that you were eating a lot of banana pops. I wish I could. I can't eat anything banana. It burns! My neighbor thinks its the potassium in it. I don't know. My hydration has been pretty much water, broth, jello, and more recently shakes.

If you don't see any blood and you aren't spitting any up or any brown stuff you probably aren't bleeding and that's good. Every time I've bled I could see it. I think our nausea probably has a lot to do with the scabs? I might ask my doctor about it and let you know what he says. I just don't know if I'll remember to ask

I know how you feel with the messed up sleep thing. I've been going through exactly the same thing. Sometimes I think that's the worst part...that is until the pain kicks me in the behind.

I remember the first time I overslept on my pain meds. It took me an hour just to get my pain meds down and I was completely in panic mode like you said.

I was told that you might feel great and well enough to do normal activities one day and then feel too weak to get out of the bed the next so don't be too discouraged! Baby steps. I've been up and down on that too. Sometimes I'm too worn out to do anything and at others I have my mom or Jason fussing at me for sweeping up my bird's mess or doing some other thing that they don't want me doing.

Anyway its 5 already here. I am still not tired enough to sleep even though I feel worn out. I feel hot even though I have my ac set to 67. I'm going to go hunt down my thermometer and let my laptop cool off and charge the battery. I have 10% left. I hope you feel better and keep me posted when you feel up to it.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #25
    cbstinso
    (male)

cbstinso HB User

My God, Jerrica, what a nightmare you have had! That was a harrowing story, yet you tell it nonchalantly. Either you have been through a lot in your life, or you are just tough! Iím sorry for all you have been through. I hope you are getting better and not having to deal with so many different things. Iíll be so glad to hear you say you are all better!

Today is my 11th full day of recovery (surgery was on 12/30/08), and it has, by far, been my best day since the beginning. Odd, because yesterday was one of the roughest. On Thursday, I called my doctor to get a refill on my to hydromorphone (Dilaudid) and tetracaine lollipops, since the weekend was coming up and I still had significant pain, even when taking my full array of medicines. My doctor refilled the Dilaudid and the lollipops, which comforted me going into the weekend. Thursday and Friday (my 9th and 10th days of recovery) ended up being pretty painful. When I talked to the nurse about my refills, she told me it was common to go through that second painful phase around a week and a half post op. That made me feel better to know I wasn't backsliding unexpectedly.

I did have one tremendous scare early this morning. I woke up shivering uncontrollably. I felt somewhat cold, but not cold enough to be trembling so dramatically. I was in a panic after 15 minutes of this. I had no idea what could be causing it, but I knew (a) that it had never happened before, and (b) it could not be good. I considered a blood pressure change, an allergic reaction (but to what?), withdrawal from narcotics (but I was taking them like normal). Nothing really seemed to make sense. My wife calmed me down and piled up blankets on top of me. Thirty minutes after the tremors had started, they finally stopped, and I went back to sleep.

When I woke up around 8:00, I got to thinking about the tremors, and it scared me. I went to the computer and researched side effects to hydromorphone (Dilaudid). Three ďseriousĒ side effects that were listed were tremor, difficulty urinating, and hallucinations. That scared me a little. I have had some auditory hallucinations since my surgery, but I just chalked them up to being overly tired. The first few days post-op I was sleeping less than 4 hours per night. I have also had some difficulty urinating. I feel the urge to go frequently, but it takes a while to produce anything. (I never thought I would be discussing such things in public).

Fitting myself into this ďserious side effectĒ category, I called the doctor on call from my ENT practice, and he returned my page within minutes. I told him when my surgery was, what medications I was on, and about my tremors. I was beginning to tell him about the other issues, when he interrupted me and told me to quit taking the phenergan (promethazine). He sounded confident that the phenergan was the problem. Then he says, ďYou should quit taking the narcotic and take some Tylenol instead.Ē Yeah sure, I thought, I wonder if youíd take the same advice if you had post-tonsillectomy pain. Of course, I simply said ďthank youĒ and hung up the phone.

Today, I have discontinued the phergan and cut my Dilaudid dose in half. I have also taken the Dilaudid less frequently - every five or six hours instead of every four. So far, so good. I haven't had much pain, so I may indeed try to get off the narcotics tomorrow. Or, I might at least switch to the Percocet that my doctor gave me.

I am still not eating solid food, but I may try some tonight. Jerrica, Iím like you in that reflux is a consideration. The pills donít help with that, and I have deduced that the lollipops are pretty bad as well. I have kept taking my Protonix for reflux during all this, but it seems to have been less effective. I really haven't had the urge to eat much more than my protein shakes, but that is starting to change. Tonight, I want something warm and comforting. I might try some soup when my wife gets back from the grocery store.

I guess I will stick with my original plan and go back to work this week. I am on the road, in Nashville and Memphis. That may be pushing it a little, but I have had no complications at all. I do have some painful ulcer-type sores on the inside of my cheek, but it isnít thrush and I have had them before, albeit one at a time. So, I am sure it is just something caused by the imbalance in my stomach right now. Hopefully I am ready!

I will continue to check these threads while I am on the road to see how you guys are doing. Get well!!!! I will stay in touch and let you know how the rest of my recovery goes. Please do the same!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #26
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

They didn't tell you that once your scabs start falling that you would be in a lot of pain again? Geeze its crazy what one doctor will tell you and another wont. I was told up front that I would feel better and then just when I'd think I was out of the woods I would get hit by the pain again because the scabs are falling.

Umm..as far as talking nonchalantly about it. I sm allergy induced asthmatic (diagnosed since the 9th grade with asthma) with arthritis and acid reflux and I have been through a lot of stuff. I don't really think I'm tough...just too stubborn for my own good lol! I refuse to give up. Though these past two weeks have had me just bawling from time to time from sheer misery!

I'm only one day ahead of you in recovery. I had my surgery on the 29. I go to the doctor tomorrow at 1 to see if I am released. Today is my 4th day with no pain meds! I'm pretty proud of myself even though I know I personally had nothing to do with that. Last night I had my first meal of real food. Mom had cooked a kit she had bought from walmart with some rosemary and basil chicken and potatoes. It took me a little while and I wasn't able to eat much at all and my stomach is still a bit sensitive but I was able to eat.

Anything too cold kind of hurts a bit now. Do you get that same sensation?

I went to see my doctor the day after the ER trip and was told that my scabs were already 85% gone and (then day 11) I was ahead of schedule. I have been feeling great. Yesterday I was tired because I made the mistake of leaving my AC at 70 for too long and I can't sleep when I am hot. I can pile on the blankets but if the air itself is hot I toss and turn. So I took it easy yesterday. I ate a biscuit and then drank some Ensure (it tastes kind of nasty by itself) and then later on I worked on training my cockatiel and ate that chicken and potatoes.

I'm trying to convince my mom to let me go see a movie with my boyfriend tonight. He'll be driving and its not like one day will make that much of a difference and I won't be doing anything strenuous. She's being stubborn. I think the only reason why I asked her for permission anyway is out of habit. I'm 20...she can't really tell me I can't go but it would cause more trouble than its worth to fight with her about it. She's not sure I'm going to be released. I think that episode in the ER shook her more than it bothered me. Sure I was a little shook up about it but I was more concerned about the bleeding than about the anaphalytic reaction. I was sitting right there in a hospital when I had it. I couldn't have been in a better place to have one of those blasted reactions. I'm glad they gave me salmeterol though and having the meds pushed in via iv certainly helped me recover faster. I was kind of out of it anyway from the demerol though so I couldn't really panic about it. Mom is a mom though...so I can't really blame her for freaking out when he eldest child nearly goes into anaphalytic shock after bleeding at 3 in the morning.

I'm guessing you were given something a lot stronger than I was. Liquid loretab was what I was put on. My worst side effects was feeling a little spacey and loopey. I still didn't like the way I felt on it and I'm glad I don't have pain bad enough to make me take it again. I'll stick to tylenol if I need it. The loretab didn't really do much for the pain other than make me sleep unless I took 3 teaspoons and after my room started spinning and all kinds of other crazy stuff after taking 3 teaspoons I said no way! I hate taking medicine and try to avoid it at all costs (kind of hard to do with my condition but *shrugs)

I'm sorry you had such an adverse reaction to your pain meds. Hopefully you can switch to the percocet without having too much residual pain. I'm on Nexium for my reflux and it wasn't helping me much either. Neither was Mylanta. I wonder why that is? I wasn't eating much that would normally send acid up my throat that bad. Maybe its the medicine we are on?

Lol...its crazy some of the things you wind up discussing in public. I had the same problem...feeling like I have to urinate and then its either only a little bit or it takes forever to decide to come out. I didn't have a bowel movement until two days ago but I also wasn't eating enough to keep a bird alive.

I've been eating soup for a few days, or at least broth. Yesterday I ate a bowl of ramen noodle soup (well 3/4 of a bowl because I was full). I was drinking a lot of shakes made with Ensure and fat free ice cream. I had a smoothie from Smoothie King day before yesterday with strawberry, papaya, kiwi and protein. The little seeds hurt just a bit and it was too cold for me to drink until I left it in the fridge till the ice melted but I managed to drink down a 20 oz after a few hours. I don't know what I'm going to eat today. I'm hungry though so I'm about to go hunt something down.

I thought I had thrush but my doctor told me its not. So I'm guessing the sores you have are probably the same type that I have. I was just starting to be able to eat soft foods and then the sores developed and I had to go back to liquids and even that hurt. That was the main problem I had with eating that meal yesterday. There are sores on the sides of my tongue and right on the edge of the tonsil beds on the side of my mouth and they are right against each other so when I eat...ow! I'm determined to ignore the pain though.

I start my spring semester next week. I'll be missing day one of classes on Monday because my doctor doesn't get out of surgery until after noon and I have an appointment at 1. College is 2 hours away for me and my first class is at 3. I think I'll just email my professors and let them know that I am still enrolled and bring them an excuse from my ENT specialist. Hopefully I'll be released and I won't miss my second day of classes. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to drive up there tomorrow or just leave early for my 9 am class on Tuesday. I think I might have to leave my cockatiel back home for just this first week until I can get my strength back. Her cage is large and heavy and rather awkward for me to handle when I am healthy...I don't think my mom would mind caring for her for one more week. She'll probably insist that I leave her. I might bring my dog up with me for company though. I'll decide later.

Be careful on the road and don't overdo it. My doctor told me 2 weeks in the house and then another week before I can go back to strenuous physical activity. *sighs* So thats another week before I can start working out again. No belly dancing or yoga. I tell you this has been the worst! I am too active and its been too long since I broke a bone so I have forgotten the enforced boredom of those weeks lol! Anyway despite my complaining I'm in rather good spirits and feeling pretty darn good. My throat is a little tender but not bad enough to take pain medicine and when I look down my throat I only see small patches of scabs so Yay!

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. I'll do the same. For now its time for me to find some food so my stomach can stop fussing at me. Have a good day!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #27
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Hey Cole, just wondering how you are doing.

I'm back to exercising again. I lost a grand total of 16 lbs over the past 3 weeks. I still look a bit gaunt in the face but I'm feeling a lot better. My throat is a bit sore and my voice is still hoarse but it is improving daily. My energy levels are also increasing. I still don't eat much but I eat until I am full and then quit. I haven't tried anything hard yet - nothing like chips. But I have returned to regular food.

My first week of class was certainly interesting. I was a little tired but I expected that.

Hope you are doing well!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #28
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

My scabs started falling off after day 5 post op. The pain got worse when the scabs started falling but by day 11 I was completely off the pain meds and itching to get out. I was told to stay inside for 2 weeks and then to take it easy for another week. The most important thing is to keep him hydrated and not overdo it. By week 3 I was ready to go but my body was still a little weak. I couldn't eat for the first week and a half and was pretty much reduced to drinking broth and the few other things I could tolerate. From what I've heard, the ones who can eat more usually have an easier time of it. Is he on antibiotics? I was on them for at least the first week to make sure I didn't get an infection.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #29
    dana034
    (female)

dana034 HB User

Thank u everyone for posting! I had my tonsils removed with the coblator on 3/12. I had a abcesse on my rt side so he took both out. I work in surgery so I know what it takes to get those suckers out so I was really scared. Once my patients leave the OR I never know how they feel afterwards. I read all the post I could find and it scared me even more. I dropped my son off at daycare and the lady asked if that day was the day I said yes, she said I feel sorry for you my daughter had it done when she was 33(I am 34) and it almost killed her. I smiled and went on my way to the hospital. I had exellent care all my friends was there working my anesthesia was my good friend. I felt as safe as anyone could possibly feel ever oh, also, my doc is a close personal friend. But even though I felt like this I was still scared to death! I almost cancelled but I still had the abcess. As I was wheeled back to surgery( that was odd because I am usually the one doin the wheeling) I was greated by more of my close friends, I tried to put on a happy face while I was in holding, but I was still plotting my escape(lol) So as my time came and I was about to go in, my friend asked if I was ready, I said yes and off we went. I was dehydrated because I had not been able to eat for a week with the abscess, so my IV was started when I went into the OR room. I was given Nitrogen to help plump veins up. Well, I panicked and started crying,(I was soooooooooooooo scared of the pain) the nitrogen (aka laughing gas) only I was not laughing. So next thing Iknew I was wakin up to my friend telling me I was in recovery and how awful my tonsils looked and how my doc said he had never seen tonsils that bad etc. I was going to be admitted overnight. I had no pain when I first woke up, just like I had a really bad sore throat. I was taken to my room and my throat started swellin I felt like I could not breath my doc came into check on me at this time ordered O2 and a shot of decadron(steroid) and I relaxed after a bit went to sleep. He decided to move me to a step down unit which is a step below ICU, I was offered demerol every 4 hrs and Zofran, I did not ask for anything till about 5pm(my surgery was over @ 9am) I decided to keep meds on board I had remembered reading on here not to let the pain get started try to stay on top of meds. Well, Thur and Fri was a blur, I came home on Fri and I dont remember even comin home or anything till Sat. Pain on Fri and Sat I would describe as a really bad sore throat. I could not sleep cuz I did not want throat to dry and I wanted to stay on top of my meds. Sunday I missed church and slept on and off all day, a restless nap , Monday the pain got almost unbearable! I was taking Loratab 7.5 every 3 1/2 hrs I also added Ibuprofin to the mix on Monday about every 4 hrs 800mg, I got alot of pain relief with that. I did not sleep on Monday night at all, I stayed up played spades online all night, Tue morning lots of pain, I had appt with doc today at 3 , I took my meds and about 9am went to sleep got up took shower and went to see him. I had wanted to go back to work Yesterday, but relized that was not an option on sat, I knew I would not be able to bounce back as fast as I had first thought. So I go back next Monday. Today has been my best day, up untill today I had survived on only water, gatorade, and apple juice. I was able to eat a soggy bowl of cereal for breakfast, and a soft shell chicken taco for supper. I feel great....Oh by the way I ended up havin to get stitches durin surgery to control bleeding. I have more pain in my rt side it was the one abcessed. THe food I ate kinda felt good on my throat going down it was kinda painful but yet felt good at the same time. After I ate I went to check out what it look like and found the stitch had came off and I guess I swallowed it but there was no bleeding. I am afraid for tommorrow since all I have read is it is bad than gets good than gets really really bad. I promise without the good Lord and my family and friends I may not have made it! So I am gonna share my advice as to what has worked for me, I kinda took a little from every post I read and I am using that for my recovery!

1- Everyone is different, we all have different pain levels we can tolerate, I personally would have taken a C-section over this anyday( I had my son by C-Section)

(2) I know it is gonna hurt like heck, but trust me drink, drink, drink, than drink some more. Water is good gatorade is awsome, apple juice grape juice anything u can get down drink it. ( I also found that if I just got bottled water and left it out of fridge it felt better on my throat than did the ice cold drinks)
    (3) Get u crushed ice keep by ur side and chomp on it all the time
    (4) Stock up on gum, chew chew chew chew trust me on this u can really tell a big difference. While in surgery they use this mouth gag that keeps your mouth held open so ur doc can get in there in work, Think about it open ur mouth as wide as u can and now imagine a doc trying to get instruments and suction and stuff in there, he needs help so he uses a gag, well this in my opinion makes your jaw ached almost like a muscle that has been overused and chewing the gum helps u not only make spit but also keep those muscles from gettin stiff. I have went throw I promise like 10 packs of gum, I noticed the sperament or wintermint gum leaves a better taste in ur mouth than than the fruity ones. This could just depend on my taste buds but chew while ur laying down chew while ur sitting up, just keep piece in mouth at all times, I swear by this.
    (5) Rest, I know u may not be able to sleep, but rest lay down elevate ur head, sit in ur fav recliner, and rest. Know that u are not some superhuman and ur are not gonna get over this in a few days this is a long process, so relax, let others help u, I know it is hard to let others, take kids to the park or run the vacume or whatever I know cuz it was hard for me to watch my sister vacume when I felt like I should be the one doing it. Remember the more u rest the faster your body will heal, the faster u will be back to normal. Your body has just went through a tramatic event,and if u are older it is so much harder on u than if u was a child or a teenager. Listen to ur body!
    (6) STAY ON TOP OF YOUR MEDS!!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, U MAY BE HAVING A GOOD DAY AND THINK HEY I CAN SKIP THAT DOSE I FEEL PRETTY GOOD, WELL DONT DO IT, THE REASON IS U HAVE BUILT UP A LEVEL IN UR SYSTEM, AND IF U DONT TAKA A DOSE THAT LEVEL DROPS AND WHEN U REALLY NEED THE MEDS IT IS GONNA TAKE LONGER TO GET THE EFFECT. I was given Loratab 7.5 to come home on, others as I have read come home with demerol, all kinds of stronger meds,which Loratabs work great for me, but it might not for u, I have a high pain tolerence, u may not, so be your own advocate, tell ur doc if ur meds are not workin, I promise he or she does not want to see u suffer and u can even talk to ur doc before hand and work out a pain managment plan.
    (7)Dont try to push ur self to eat, as long as ur drinking ur will be fine for a few days, u eat when u feel like u can tolerate it, and know when u do take the first bite it is gonna hurt like crap, my advice is to take your pain meds about 20 before u eat that way it is in ur system and it will help with the pain.

I am only on day 6 post op, today was a really good day, now what the next few days holds I dont know. I do know that havin my tonsils removed was prob the best thing I have ever done, I feel in the long run the few days of misery I have felt will be well worth it in the end!
    To all that posted ahead of me thank u so much, it really helped me so much to know that when I was having trouble sleeping at night I would get online to see if someone had went through what I was going throught at that moment, it would help get me by.

The two most common ways of having your tonsils removed is

COBLATOR-uses a wand that can dissect, control bleeding, suction blood and debris so the surgeon can see. It uses a cold like technolgy that does not damage the tissue around the tonsils.The temp usually aroun 70 C so it dont damage tissue. Patients usually return back to work, eating and livin a normal life faster with the coblator.
    ( I work in surgery and some docs use this and some use caultery, my opinion as a surgical nurse is, this is much better, it is what I wanted done, it just does a much better cleaner job than the burning

CAUTERY- basically means ur surgeon is burning ur tonsils out of ur throat, and if we think about how it is when we burn ourselves how that heals it is a little harder. Because they are not able to control burning all the tissue around and under where ur tonsils lay.

I hope this helps for anyone lookin for some answers like I say I am on day 6 now I will keep posted on my progress, I dont claim to know everything about this procedure, I know only what works for me. Well, goodnight I am gonna try to sleep a little before my next pain med is due! Talk to ya soon!

Dana

Old 03-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #30
    baracuda
    (female)

baracuda HB User

I am on otherwise healthy 28 year old woman now on day 6 of recovery. I am desperate for the light at the end of the tunnel, because at this point I don't see it. I was on lorotab every 4 hours, however it made me very naucious and on two occasions I vomitted-ripping off any scabs I had started to form and causing severe pain. I realize a little food in my stomache would probably help however eating was way too painful-even drinking water was a struggle. So after the second time I vomitted I went straight to the ER-for pain and fear of dehydration. The hospital was packed and I feel as though the Doc was in a hurry to get to the next patient. He switched me to percoset pills and sent me away. That was yesterday. Now I am really forcing myself to just drink as much as I can. Percosets can also make you queezy on an empty stomache. I discovered these baby cereal banana drinks that I force down before I take the pills. No more puking so far. The worst is at night. I am a mouthbreather-no matter how hard I try to fall asleep with my mouth closed I wake up an hour later with my throat completely dried out. The pain brings me to tears. Can't wait to be on the otherside.

Closed Thread