It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsillectomy, here we go!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #46
    dana034
    (female)

dana034 HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy, here we go!

I was so hoping you would not suffer as bad since you did so good the first day! But hang in there it gets better! THis may not comfort you much but in about a week you will be amazed at how you feel! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #47
    yyctonsilless
    (female)

yyctonsilless HB User

Tdooders! I'm glad you made it through okay! Keep eating and drinking as much as you can tonight as tomorrow you'll notice a decline. Also, even if you can still speak, don't! exhausting the muscles in this area might bite you in the butt later on. If you're worried about your throat drying out - set an alarm for every 2 hours so you can drink a couple gulps of water. Good luck on your first night sleeping, you will make it through just fine!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #48
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Its now 1:30 am. I live in NY. Ive dosed off for like a half hour at a time but am constantly drinking sips of water and constantly going to the bathroom. The only things Ive eaten today are popsiscles, sherbet (which feels soooooooo good) and jello. Tomorrow I am hoping to have some scrambled eggs and some broth.

Ive been taking my Loratab faithfully. Im thinking of asking for something stronger because if everyone is correct and the pain gets worse around days 4,5,6,7 the Loratab Im afraid wont cut it. After I take it it is easier to swallow but still hurts. Im amazed at how exhausted you get and its only been a day. I literally had no energy to get my cup of water earlier that is right next to my recliner. I find it easier to rest in the recliner. I have been alternating my ice collars as I call them lol . These feel good on my neck because I had a scar revision done but they also help with the throat. Highly recommend them. I bought some juicy fruit gum . Havent tried it yet. Think I might before trying to sleep again.

Will post again in awhile im sure since this sleeping thing isnt working.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #49
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Oh I noticed a bunch of you posted about the pain when yawning. My ENT told me that is because there was so much trauma to the muscles in that area that they are bruised, sore, and stiff. It WILL hurt for a while and he told me that could last a few days to a few weeks. Some people recommend gum. I didn't know that so I didn't try it.

He gave me another shot of dexamethasone for that and it really did help.

I was given 3 of those shots over the course of my recovery and it really helped a lot.

I loved green apple jello. It tasted like jolly ranchers lol.
    Miso soup tastes great if you like it. The tofu isn't hard, neither is the seaweed. Once you can handle warm stuff, I recommend that.

I don't recommend V8 soups. The broccoli soup was WAY to spicy. It burned my throat like crazy.

I couldn't eat anything dairy because of the mucus build up. Dairy just makes it worse.

Did I forget to mention that humidifiers are life savers? Sorry about that. My humidifier kept me from drying out. The one time I did dry out, I had a trip to the ER for a split in the scab that didn't want to stop bleeding (it stopped by the time the slow ER doctors finally saw me).

I couldn't eat scrambled eggs because then I had to carefully dislodge them from the pits that were left when my tonsils were removed. It was the same thing with noodles. My tonsils were HUGE! They are gradually closing up and now I don't get anything stuck in them. I think they might be gone altogether but I haven't looked in my throat in a while. My doctor said that they should shrink as time goes by. So be careful if you do eat eggs. I'm not saying that to tell you not to eat them. Just keep in mind that you might have to use a q-tip and CAREFULLY dislodge them.

I was 20 when I had my surgery and in decent health, as well as could be expected with the chronic tonsilitis and allergy induced asthma.

Hang in there everyone!

Oh and don't try to be strong and go back to a normal life before your two weeks are up. I wanted to tear my hair out by the second half of week two because I felt fine but my mom was taking care of me and she was watching me like a hawk. The day I was released I went to Walmart to stock up on stuff to take back with me to college. Boy was I surprised! Not even a half an hour there and I was exhausted beyond belief! You may feel great but be careful because your body is still recuperating. I had to go another week before I could do any physical activity other than going to class. I would get home from class and sleep for a few hours just to recharge. So if you feel good enough to do stuff, try it, but be prepared to quit and rest.

Take care everyone and hang in there. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Last edited by spirithawk06; 03-28-2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: addition

Old 03-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #50
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Oh, if you're religious (I saw one mention of going to church) look up the song "There's a light at the end of this tunnel" by Third Day.

Keep yourself busy when you aren't sleeping. I couldn't read books like I wanted to because I was too spacey on the medication. But I did watch TV a lot and I played silly games on the computer that didn't require too much concentration.

My ears hurt too much to listen to music a lot but if you can do that, try to find some uplifting music.

Your ears will hurt because the surgery site is so close to the nerves that feed to your ears. Thats why your ears hurt. At least, that's what my ENT told me.

Sorry for the lengthy posts. I figure someone might be able to use that info.
    Again take care.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-28-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 03-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #51
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Im actually feeling better today than I did yesterday which was the day of my surgery. Pain is around 4 when I swallow. No pain in ears yet. I have been wear an ice collar since I left the hospital. That has helped a lot. I did manage one scrambled egg. I have chewed some gum but it just feels weird right now. I do notice I get very very tired easily. Havent been doing much except TV and reading and playing on the computer. I know the pain will get worse around days 4-7 so Im preparing myself but maybe Ill get lucky and not have so much.

I havent really looked in my mouth. What I can see are white patches where the tonsils use to be. Im assuming those are the scabs. My Uluvla is really swollen . I can feel it on my tongue when I swallow.

Will post later.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:05 AM   #52
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Ok I had my surgery Friday am (March 27th) and its now 6:00 am on Sunday so that would be beginning my 3rd day I guess. Well this am hurts a lot worse than the other 2 days. Throat is so so sore. Cant take pain med for another half hour. I want to cough sooooo bad. Ive been clearing my throat some and I know they say not to but I really cant help it. Ive been sleeping longer which is probably why my throat hurts more. I still havent looked in my mouth. Im gonna wait for the doc to do that on Wed am. Im hoping he gives me something stronger for the pain then.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #53
    dana034
    (female)

dana034 HB User

Today is my 17th day post op! I am soooo happy! Hang in there guys I promise it does get better. I have noticed when I yawn it still hurts really bad it feels like it is in the hinges of my jaw bone. So I started doing work outs for my jaw bone. I start by opening my mouth as wide as I can and doing vowels sounds A E I O U.... I repeated that as many times as I can. This has really helped me with the pain while I am yawning. Today I woke up yawned talked and after being up for a little while I said to myself .... Hey I did not think about my throat for the first time in over 2 weeks. Hang in there guys it gets better!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #54
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Dana when did your scabs fall off and did you notice they did by the pain level or? Any problems with bleeding?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #55
    yyctonsilless
    (female)

yyctonsilless HB User

Tdooders - hang in there, tomorrow will likely be better than today by leaps and bounds. If you can get your hands on some gravol, they should help you sleep deeper through the night which will make a world of difference in how you will feel in the morning. It appears you and I are on the same path for healing, I've just got a couple of days ahead of you - so for what it's worth, what you're feeling now does pass.

I've discovered that swallowing is more comfortable and definitely easier if I hold the back of my free hand under my chin, so the muscles aren't dropping the entire way down, this is a trick I learned when dealing with bad TMJ symptoms following a car accident and it works wonders here now too. Don't feel like you have to push this too hard too fast, if you find foods that go down okay, stick with them - you can start to advance to firmer things tomorrow, or the next day. there is no set schedule! The important thing is for you to retain some semblance of feeling comfortable. If you need stronger drugs, call your Dr. immediately. I know it's the weekend, but if you can leave a message, then at the very least when they hear it on Monday morning, they'll understand how long you've been dealing with the pain. There is no need to be a hero, they told us right from the get go that adult women have the hardest time with this surgery.

You can get through this! only 11 more days to go until you're back to normal and never have to deal with tonsilitis again. And feel free to vent! Nobody here will judge you, we all understand completely.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #56
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Have your scabs fallen off? And if so how did you know they fell off? Any bleeding? I do feel the worst after I wake up probably for not drinking anything for the hour or so I do sleep at a time. Been eating jello,popsicles crushed up, sherbet, broth and scrambled eggs. Im not that hungry probably do to all the water Ive been drinking. Also have been drinking ginger ale. Belive Iv lost a few pounds lol

Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #57
    yyctonsilless
    (female)

yyctonsilless HB User

I know, heck of a weight loss program hey? My mom says she probably has too, running around the house trying to find things to make me comfortable, the poor woman. I don't know if my scabs have started to fall off or not, I haven't had a look in there today, though I will when I do my salt water rinse after I eat some jello which is happening pretty soon. From what I was coughing up last night, I do think this is starting to happen, I was feeling dangly things throughout the night. I've decided I'm just going to go with the coughing, for all intents and purposes coughing is an involntary response right? IF my body feels like there is something to remove, then there is probably something to remove and I'm done trying to fight it and feeling like I'm choking all the time. I'll let you know how this pans out. I'm thrilled you can have eggs! I'm too afraid to try. I tried some mushed up peaches and mashed potatoes (separately) and found I'm forever trying to dislodge the little fragments. it's just not worth the effort to me. I'm going to give some blended soups a try this afternoon, I have a carrot one and a squash one. Are you able to get any sleep at all? How is your husband holding up through all of this? I hope he's being super supportive.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #58
    dana034
    (female)

dana034 HB User

I had no pain or bleeding when my scabs feel off. I had went out to eat and on the way home I felt something in my mouth and it was a scab(gross I kno) but yeah I had no problem with my scabs thank God.... I had heard all the horror stories about the scabs. I have noticed looking at my throat I have a white covering over where my tonsils was, I noticed this last night not sure about that one. I am in no pain, or discomfort. I can yawn without pain eat what I want no pain. I have noticed something weird for me. I LOVE sweet tea, I make at least 8 pitchers a week of sweet tea(my whole family drinks it) well I can not stand the taste of it now, when it hits the back of my throat it taste funky. The only thing that taste good is sour stuff like lemonaid stuff like that. I am hoping this will pass, for I love my sweet tee(everyone from Tn drinks sweet tea)lol I have read that once the scabs fall off others come than they fall off again. I am not having any pain or discomfort from them. U 2 seem to be doing pretty well Keep uP the good work!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #59
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

Dana when did you have your surgery? Im only on day 4 post op counting surgery day. Pain is about a level 4 and only when I swallow. Pain is worse right before I take my next dosage. I feel ok othwerise. Tired and weak but not too bad so far.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #60
    Abbysnana
    (female)

Abbysnana HB User

Hi Ladies!
    I'm new to this, so I hope this post is going in the right place!! I'm scheduled to have a tonsillectomy and uvulectomy tomorrow (Thurs.) at 1:30 p.m. I've been reading your posts for the past week or so and jotting down what to do, what not to do, what to eat, drink, etc. I'm 49 so I'm not looking forward to this at all!!! Your posts have been extremely helpful and I hope you will continue to be a source of encouragement to me!!! I am dreading next week soooo bad as it seems that's when the most pain will come. I'll try to update in a day or two!

Closed Thread